Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm going on a New Foundland caribou and moose hunt in October on a bum ankle and looking for a good pair of trekking poles. I used an aluminum pair from Walmart last year and when I put all my weight on one pole in the process of falling, the pole collapsed and I did a slow fall to the ground. Maybe poles aren't supposed to hold all of my weight which is 225 lbs. Thanks in advance.

BP-B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Leki (micro vario carbons) have served me well for 8+ years now. Still using my original poles regularly though I did introduce a new pair last year solely for extended backcountry hunts, just in case. They have supported up to 350lbs (myself/pack) without failure.

I highly recommend adding the Wiser precisions quick-stiX to any pair of poles you end up with.

Pitter Patter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve gotten excellent service from the BD Alpine Carbon. They’re gone through some stuff that I thought for sure should have broken them, and they can (and have) support all my weight with loaded pack many times. Great poles.

If I were you I’d be looking at Leki or BD.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought a set at Costco, used them all around Colorado, MT and WY, cheap, light weight and durable. I think they were something like $29. I'm 6'4", 225 lbs, I was not easy on them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve gotten excellent service from the BD Alpine Carbon. They’re gone through some stuff that I thought for sure should have broken them, and they can (and have) support all my weight with loaded pack many times. Great poles.

If I were you I’d be looking at Leki or BD.

yup.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The costco ones (cascade mountain tech) are great for the price. As long as you don't scratch the carbon, they are quite sturdy. Loose, large rocks are what break them. Likely you won't be in those conditions in a caribou/moose hunt.

I think the Black Diamond poles are the best out there. Have had excellent service from each pair of mine - all of them have been AL, but have buddies that run the carbons and like them. My Leki experience was not good, but I'm an outlier there.

Whatever you get, realize that the locks are likely adjustable, and you will want to adjust and test them with your full weight before you go anywhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be sure to bring suitable tool for locks on long treks.

S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Joe--what tool are you talking about?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Either a Phillips or blade screwdriver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two sets of Leki’s The first set I bought are aluminum then I figured I would try the lighter weights. I use both but I prefer the heavier aluminum set. They fit my hands better and its probably only in my head but I am more confident in them. Im no little fellar and clumsy as heck.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys, I'm still deciding, a lot of good suggestions. Do you guys prefer cork or rubber handles? I'm leaning rubber which leaves some suggestions out. I had a couple of cork handle fishing rods get beat up in travels.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sako76
Thanks guys, I'm still deciding, a lot of good suggestions. Do you guys prefer cork or rubber handles? I'm leaning rubber which leaves some suggestions out. I had a couple of cork handle fishing rods get beat up in travels.

My wife has BD Carbon poles, but really dislikes the cork handles so I got her cushy foam handles, which she prefers. When I use my BD Carbon poles, the cork doesn't bother me. You'll likely have to sort that for yourself.

We've owned a lot of Komperdell poles over the last decade. Austrian made, and excellent. I got her something similar to these (if you're an REI member you can get another 20% off these right now):

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/prod...nture-powerlock-foam-trekking-poles-pair

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sako76
The cork on my poles has held up well to a bunch of use/wear and tear. I wouldn’t worry too much about that. But cork vs. foam is a preference thing. I’ve owned both, and prefer cork. It seems to wick away sweat and provide good, firm traction.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The only issue I have seen with cork was on the cascade mountain tech poles, and that was only one set out of probably 10. Cork vs foam makes no difference to me, they both work fine.

Eta: I had a couple sets of komperdell poles back in the twist lock days. No interest in going back to twist locks, but I had no complaints about the quality of the poles.

As to the adjustment, all of mine adjust easily without tools.

Last edited by cwh2; 08/25/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cwh2
Eta: I had a couple sets of komperdell poles back in the twist lock days. No interest in going back to twist locks, but I had no complaints about the quality of the poles.

Komperdell's no longer have twist locks.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Leki lightweights here. After many years I had a partial sporadic failure with one. CS asked for a few pics and promptly mailed the correct replacement part free of charge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just threw my set of leki cork lites up on the classifieds. Might work for you

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I bought a set at Costco, used them all around Colorado, MT and WY, cheap, light weight and durable. I think they were something like $29. I'm 6'4", 225 lbs, I was not easy on them.

I'm assuming they would be the same price at all the Costco's, but the other day the Cascade brand was on sale for $15. Nice poles at $30, for $15 you can't go wrong.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Another vote for BD Alpine Carbon. That being said, I haven't tried others. I stopped with these bc they worked well and saw no need to look further.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 69 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.