Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Meopta are made in the Czech Republic. https://optics-info.com/meopta-optika-hd-binoculars/
[Linked Image from i0.wp.com]

Isn't that "assembled" part a gray area?

For example, Zeiss states that the Conquest HD is made in Germany but there are numerous posts at another forum that seem to indicate that it's actually made by Kamakura in Japan. Supposedly enough "work" is done in Germany to qualify as "made in Germany" under whatever laws they operate under.

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/23/22.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drop_point
Finally, I picked up a Leupold BX-4 which was slightly over budget. It didn’t have a whole lot of “pop” at first but looking into the dark areas I could see more detail than even the Zeiss! Unfortunately, this was a 10x (like all the others I got to sample) but I couldn’t imagine the 8x being worse. Also, made in Japan.

The BX-4 is leading right now, but I’d certainly rather keep $170 extra in my pocket if it isn’t much difference.

Someone here, or maybe Rokslide, posted that many of the BX-4 and/or BX-5 have loose hinges. They were on sale at a local store so I went to check them out and sure enough the ones that I tried all had loose hinges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Meopta are made in the Czech Republic. https://optics-info.com/meopta-optika-hd-binoculars/
[Linked Image from i0.wp.com]

Isn't that "assembled" part a gray area? For example, Zeiss states that the Conquest HD is made in Germany but there are numerous posts at another forum that seem to indicate that it's actually made by Kamakura in Japan. Supposedly enough "work" is done in the Germany to qualify as "made in Germany" under whatever laws they operate under.
Likewise Leupold has to use assembled in USA for those items that don't meet the legal definition of made in USA.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
That site erroneously says it has a 10 year warranty. What else is wrong?

Optics trade is out of Europe and warranty may vary. Give Burris or Doug a call and ask. wink

Right off of the Burris Amazon store. The reply was from Burris/Steiner.

Question:
Could a seller please verify where these are made? Thank you very much.

Answer:
Burris Signature HD binoculars are manufactured in China to our specifications, then Quality tested in Greeley, CO.
By Steiner O. Manufacturer on October 20, 2020

I don't have any experience with that model but I wonder if production was moved from Japan to China during the model history. It seems like JB and maybe some others have units that were made in Japan.
Very well could be.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Finally, I picked up a Leupold BX-4 which was slightly over budget. It didn’t have a whole lot of “pop” at first but looking into the dark areas I could see more detail than even the Zeiss! Unfortunately, this was a 10x (like all the others I got to sample) but I couldn’t imagine the 8x being worse. Also, made in Japan.

The BX-4 is leading right now, but I’d certainly rather keep $170 extra in my pocket if it isn’t much difference.

Someone here, or maybe Rokslide, posted that many of the BX-4 and/or BX-5 have loose hinges. They were on sale at a local store so I went to check them out and sure enough the ones that I tried all had loose hinges.

This one didn’t appear to have a loose hinge at all. It didn’t feel overly tight though. The Vortex hinge took a little muscle. The biggest negative on the individual unit I sampled had a very loose diopter. I read a few reviews and that seems like the norm. Unfortunately, they don’t lock either.

Now I’m on the lookout to find a local store with some of the other options mentioned in this thread. There is another sporting goods store about an hour and a half away that has some other brands. I can use it as an opportunity to pick up some reloading components, too so that it isn’t just wasted fuel.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I called Burris today to confirm where their binoculars are made. The tech I spoke with, Ryan, said they are made in China.

Also talked with Bill at Vortex. The Vipers are made in the Philippines and the Diamondbacks are made in China. In his opinion, the Viper is about 15% better than the DB but costs over twice as much. My wife has some Viper 10x42 and loves them. I'm not that impressed and was hoping the DB wasn't made in China.

I've been watching this thread as I'm also interested in some 8x42s. Problem is, I wear glasses and nothing works as well for me as my Yosemite 6x30s. I think they are Chinese also but they sure are sharp and clear. Cheap too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I called Burris today to confirm where their binoculars are made. The tech I spoke with, Ryan, said they are made in China.

Also talked with Bill at Vortex. The Vipers are made in the Philippines and the Diamondbacks are made in China. In his opinion, the Viper is about 15% better than the DB but costs over twice as much. My wife has some Viper 10x42 and loves them. I'm not that impressed and was hoping the DB wasn't made in China.

I've been watching this thread as I'm also interested in some 8x42s. Problem is, I wear glasses and nothing works as well for me as my Yosemite 6x30s. I think they are Chinese also but they sure are sharp and clear. Cheap too.

Burris must have moved production recently. Have owned 2 Sig HDs both were labeled "Made in Japan"

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have a "used" 8x30 SLC, acquired new. Believe it or not, the Burris 8x42 at least as sharp, and even brighter in low light due to its larger objective lenses. Plus, the "fiber-reinforced polymer" body material makes it just about as light as the Swarovski.

Don't get me wrong. I love Swarovski optics, and have several binoculars and a couple of their spotting scopes. But the Burris Signature HDs are really good....
We are living in the golden age of optics, no doubt. I like used Swaro because they are nice to look through, and the resale value seems to remain constant.

I have a pair of Vortex Vipers that are really nice glass, zero complaints. Their resale value is worthless though.

YMMV.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
338rcm,

It was Ryan told me the Signature HDs were made by Kamakura, but that was several years ago when they were first introduced.

The optics industry has been "fluid" world-wide for a long time. The first Zeiss Conquest scopes were mostly made by Meopta, but some of the internals were made by Zeiss--and the final assembly done in the USA to avoid the import duty.

But that was over 20 years ago. As far as I can determine the latest Conquests are made in Japan--though some parts (including lenses) could very well be made elsewhere.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Backroads,

Yep, Swarovskis hold onto their value very well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Meopta's been running specials every week this month.

This is the current one. Meopro Air HD 15% off.

https://meopta.store/products/meopro-air-10x42-hd

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Appreciate the link, but even at 15% off that binocular may be a bit much. They are likely phenomenal.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would not be too concerned about the Assembled deal with Meopta. Im pretty sure a few of the Euro brands use glass sourced from Japan. Not a damn thing wrong with the glass made in Japan. Even Schott has a plant in Japan. Zeiss has used quite a bit of it in their optics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even Schott has a plant in Japan.
In Shanghai too.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Go to some of the birding websites to look for reviews, those folks take their optics seriously and are probably the largest and most affluent market for binoculars; https://www.audubon.org/gear/binocular-guide

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have "used 8x30 SLCs" as well, bought new in '98, after years of use, bought 8.5x42 ELs and decided to sell the 8x30s. Sent them to Swarovski for service and they came back like new (and they didn't charge me a dime), they were so nicely done in fact that I just decided to keep them and typically use them more often than the ELs as they weigh less around my neck, 24 years strong and still my favorite binocular!

Last edited by 257Bob; 08/24/22.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a couple sets of the Leupold BX2’s. My daughter and I both use them. They’ve been great for the money, and I wouldn’t hesitate to get another set.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Mine have loose hinges as well. It's the biggest issue with the Leupold Santiums. I've got old Weaver Super Slam binos a bit heavy but they are optically the equal of the Leupold Santium 5 but heavier and mechanically superior. Both the Leupold and Weaver are better optically than my Leica Trinovids for my eyes. The stuff like 3k-$4k binos are wasted on me as my eyes are fine but not keen enough to take advantage of the small gains optically in this season of life

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've looked through the Zeiss Terra ED and for 400 they are quite good.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I run Minox as my main glass and keep a pair of older Nikon Monarch's in the truck for just the purpose you are suggesting. Japanese glass that works well.....

Good luck with your search!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 54 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.