Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Great article. Reminiscing,,, 50 years ago, this year, I killed my first deer here on the ranch where I now live with an old Spanish Ovideo M1916 “sporter" in 7x 57. Sporting a weaver K4 I received for Christmas the year before. Shooting Norma factory 150 grain ammo. $4.50 a box from Gibsons discount store!

I still have the rifle!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Very good!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
"it sure does work". If I recall, you called it "magnificent" in an article. I'll have to go back in my Dad's boxes of magazines and verify that.

Yep, found it. GUNS May 2015, THE MAGNIFICIENT 7x57 MAUSER (Reloading a Classic with Current Bullets and Powders)

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. I remember that excellent article from 1986 - read it while on a Mule Deer hunt up past Camp Wood on the mesa with a 7x57. Aagard's piece was bountiful for me and I wondered at the time "Why didn't I have all of this good info back in 1962"?

62 was when I bought my first center fire rifle ever - 7x57 Chilean Mauser rifle from a Sears mail ad - $13.99 shipped plus 2 boxes of that Win 175 gr. round nose stuff. I won't bore you here, but have written quite a bit in the past about how I worked that rifle into a sporter and used it forever on a wide variety of game. Three others since then - all Mausers, one a Mark X.

It's all been said above - fab cartridge - an exquisite design well more than 100 years old.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Which is it, a real lady or a real gentleman of a cartridge? In any case, in a proper rifle it has panache.

The way life should be.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKduck
That 7x57 from Teeder sure has been a hammer with 162s. Never had much luck with 7mm-08s.

Glad you still have it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know about panache, but my 7x57 flattened deer and elk like a pancake.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My 7x57 affliction was actually started by Ross Seyfreid’s G&A article about an old Rigby Sporter around 1990.
I’ve owned a FN in straight military guise, a Chilean DWM in a Fajen California style stock (that was very well done, shot great, and I should’ve kept), had a chance to buy a push-feed FWT for $300 back around ‘99 and didn’t (still kicking myself over that one).
Then around ‘01 or so Mule Deer had an article with a pic of his #1 7x57 leaned against his pack and I had to have one.
It’s only claimed one groundhog, one pig, and two deer (my smallest bodied and largest bodied, oddly), but I love the rifle.
She currently eats 175 SGK’s and 175 HRN’s over RL-22. I just laid in a lifetime supply of older 175 pointed Interlocks. Gonna try them over the same 49 grains of RL-22 and see what happens…..

Last edited by Potsy; 08/25/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Serengeti is now owned by the Campfire's "RevMike," one of the first over a dozen rifles I started selling off 2-3 years ago to add to the retirement fund.

Dunno if I'll ever own another 7x57, but it sure does work!

Perhaps the one 7x57 that has more published reloading data than just about any other.

BTW, I thought you picked up one of the Lipsey Rugers.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Great article. Reminiscing,,, 50 years ago, this year, I killed my first deer here on the ranch where I now live with an old Spanish Ovideo M1916 “sporter" in 7x 57. Sporting a weaver K4 I received for Christmas the year before. Shooting Norma factory 150 grain ammo. $4.50 a box from Gibsons discount store!

I still have the rifle!

I wish we still had Gibson's, I bought a Stoeger "Luger" and a friend bought an unaltered 98k from one in the mid-70s. Can't recall the price of the .22, but the Mauser was $40.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Potsy
My 7x57 affliction was actually started by Ross Seyfreid’s G&A article about an old Rigby Sporter around 1990.
The article was in Guns & Ammo, November 1991. Title: 7mm MAUSER...Smallbore Blockbuster.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Serengeti is now owned by the Campfire's "RevMike," one of the first over a dozen rifles I started selling off 2-3 years ago to add to the retirement fund.

Dunno if I'll ever own another 7x57, but it sure does work!

Perhaps the one 7x57 that has more published reloading data than just about any other.

BTW, I thought you picked up one of the Lipsey Rugers.

Is the Serengeti the rifle that there was miscommunication about what the chamber and ROT should be? ROT was like 1"-11" and wouldn't stable bullet weights over 140 grains.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
If all goes as planned , I will be the fourth generation to take a particular 7 x 57 up the mountain for a bighorn ram in 2023.

While my own capabilities may be in question, neither the rifle’s, nor that of the cartridge, will be.

Stay tuned for the write-up. 😎

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is the Serengeti the rifle that there was miscommunication about what the chamber and ROT should be? ROT was like 1"-11" and wouldn't stable bullet weights over 140 grains.

No. This rifle has standard twist (1:9.5 AFIK) and a match chamber. There is a lot of loading information in Gack I and Gack III, as well as some other publications.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like John, my interest in the 7x57 was first sparked by reading JO'Cs thoughts on it. Mine came from his articles in ODL and later from his book THE HUNTING RIFLE, when that book came out in 1970. In chapter 8 of that book, titled "Big Punch In A Little Case", JO'C extoled the virtues of the 7x57 in detail and how it had become his wife's, Eleanor's, favorite hunting cartridge. The 7x57 was also Harvey Donaldson's favorite deer hunting cartridge, HAD's being a Winchester 54.

I had paid $38.50 for a sporterized FN-made Venezuelan 24/30 in 7x57 to hunt deer with before I was old enough to buy a firearm myself at Welch's Gun Shop in Lebanon, NH. I fed it a mix of Winchester brand 175 grain soft points and, when I could get them, 139 grain Dominion or Imperial brand ammo from CIL that we would bring back from visits to my uncle Tom in Bedford, PQ. That 24/30 is now a completely rebuilt rifle in 257 Roberts courtesy of Clayton Audette in Springfield, VT. That rifle, as I bought it, has been my only "Kaboom" in over 55 years of hunting, shooting, and reloading. I am hoping that it will always be my only "Kaboom".

I still have a few 7x57s around, 7 bolt guns and a sporterized Venezuelan FN-49. All gathering dust or boxed up and stacked on a shelf somewhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Due to its "from the beginning" history with me, the 7x57 probably will persist as my own all time best hunting cartridge.

The discussions here remind me of what, no doubt, will be my second best, its cousin the 6.5x55. Mine have proven themselves to work as effectively as any 6.5 of its general capacity. Never ceases to cause smiles about all the praise and fuss with the wonderful "Creed".

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

No. This rifle has standard twist (1:9.5 AFIK) and a match chamber. There is a lot of loading information in Gack I and Gack III, as well as some other publications.
Tell me more about the standard twist you stated, I thought it was 1:866 or 1:875, or something like that.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Correct. The standard twist in European rifles is 1:220mm (1:866 inches). In the US the twist is generally 1:9.5 inches, although occasionally something a little faster is used. I believe the M70 XTR was 1:8.5 or something along those lines. I'd have to measure one to see. John (MD) can speak to the twist on the Serengeti, but I'm pretty sure it is either 1:9 or 1:9.5. I ought to measure it sometime just to be sure.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Correct. The standard twist in European rifles is 1:220mm (1:866 inches). In the US the twist is generally 1:9.5 inches, although occasionally something a little faster is used. I believe the M70 XTR was 1:8.5 or something along those lines. I'd have to measure one to see. John (MD) can speak to the twist on the Serengeti, but I'm pretty sure it is either 1:9 or 1:9.5. I ought to measure it sometime just to be sure.

I have one of the XTR's and man, what a great shooting rifle! I have neglected it a bit for a few years. Need to break it out and warm it up one of these days.

I should measure the twist for the heckuva it as well.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That might be why the old Ingwe Special shot 175s as well as it did. It certainly shoots 158 Prvi Groms into a tight cluster.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
774 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 88 invisible), 2,852 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.