Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ive shot my share of Nosler bullets down through the years and killed plenty of stuff with them but as already mentioned the prices of these bullets have gotten out of hand. Before the China-demic virus started I found a deal on some 7mm 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I bought a thousand of them. Wished I would have bought more but Ive probably got enough to last me the rest of my life.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I got lucky a while back at a gun show. I was setting up my table when the guy next to me was setting up Guy was a lot older than me and seemed a bit feeble so I helped him get his stuff and put it on his table. He was just a reloader well stocked with bullets. He figured old age had caught up with him so wanted to sell out. He had mostly bullets and as we talked I saw he was getting tired and the show hadn't even opened up yet. Maybe a half hour before it opened. I asked what he would take for the whole batch of bullets and said $10 box. It took most of my working cash but well worth it. That stash will last a lot longer than me. Mostly .270, 7mm, and .308" bullets, roughly 5 to 7 boxes in each caliber in Nosler Partitions alone. Quite a bunch of Speer Hot Core and both versions of Grand Slams (Old and new style)as well. ai'll never run out as long as I live.
PJ

That’s a damned good score PJ!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It's your money. Use it as you see fit. I sold some of my last partitions at the clubs gunshow last Saturday. I think it was 150 .277 150gr. (maybe 153 pcs if I remember more correctly) partitions for $75... I still have a bunch of 150gr 7mm Partitions that I can burn up though. Won't be buying anymore Noslers after that. Don't expect prices to go down any at all on them either. You can mark my words. How many of you guys have even been to the Nosler store in Bend?? That's what I thought.. The last bull elk fell to Hornady interlock and TTSX. Both of which are far less expensive than the partitions these days.

Man, I wished you sent me a text. Those are good ones for any 270!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by UpThePole
So they cost 2 bucks each ? Who cares ? Not for hunting woodchucks. Check sight in and kill animal --- 5 rounds.

I agree with that but they aren’t that good compared to others that we can buy today, for less money. Barnes, Swift, Hammers, etc have all kept their prices in check while Nosler hasn’t. I’d bet they are not being made with a special copper only they can get.

Semper Fi
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
In Cabela’s today they had a 50 count box of Nosler premium brass in 7x57 for $126.99 plus tax. I’m sure it’s gonna be there for a while.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It's your money. Use it as you see fit. I sold some of my last partitions at the clubs gunshow last Saturday. I think it was 150 .277 150gr. (maybe 153 pcs if I remember more correctly) partitions for $75... I still have a bunch of 150gr 7mm Partitions that I can burn up though. Won't be buying anymore Noslers after that. Don't expect prices to go down any at all on them either. You can mark my words. How many of you guys have even been to the Nosler store in Bend?? That's what I thought.. The last bull elk fell to Hornady interlock and TTSX. Both of which are far less expensive than the partitions these days.

Man, I wished you sent me a text. Those are good ones for any 270!

Sorry buddy. I was with a buddy at the gunshow 2 Saturdays ago. We had 2 tables and I took a bunch of stuff to sell. I don't have a 270 anymore, and those were collecting dust. I should have thought of you, sorry buddy. The show went pretty good. I got some H4831, more Big Game powder and some more 7mm 162 ELDX bullets. Traded some of the H335 powder I had for that stuff, so it didn't cost me any cash. I only paid $26/pound for that H335 last year, so it was a great trade!! I like it when that happens. Almost bought a nice all original Pre 64 model 70 30-06 for $700, but it was a low comb and I passed. Had it been a montecarlo, I probably would have bought it at that price.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hornady kind of wins by default. They have supplied the market while Noslers are MIA. I’d pay Nosler’s price for certain applications but there are very few to be found. It seems they’ve quit on me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Both copper and lead prices are down. The metal prices are pretty reasonable at the moment but who knows what their supplier is charging or if they need to commit to an agreed price contract.

As much as I don't like Hornady's late pandemic decisions and corporate BS I think the Interlock and the Speer bullets are probably good enough to take game and have moved to them as well.

Last edited by Theoldpinecricker; 08/27/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been getting emails the last few days from SPS on sales on seconds and I'm starting to see a trend toward lower prices already. Now that the economy is slowing down it looks like perhaps they are getting caught up to demand and they need to move some?

I'm seeing Lead free expanding point, Accubonds, and even some Partitions in several calibers dropped to around $.50 a bullet to move inventory. A peak at the future ? Hard to say but I will be back on board when pricing gets back to pre Covid levels on a regular basis again...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve even stopped buying the seconds at SPS, they’ve raised the prices to more than I’m willing to give for firsts.

I’m rapidly becoming a Hornady man.

Have enough Abonds and BallisticTips to hunt for a while. Also some TSX and TTSX. Prettier than Hornady but not at those prices. Interlocks are like a well built but homely girl glad to get a date.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hornady basic bullets work for me at sane velocities. Basically at 2800 fps or less muzzle velocities. For my magnums I would rather use the GMX and or Interbonds. Unfortunately I can never get a decent group in any of my rifles using these 2 bullets.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
All the GMXs I've tried have shot well, but are VERY load finicky, so it can take a lot of fiddling around to dial them in. Just a few tenths of a grain can be the difference between a cloverleaf and buckshot. The Monoflexes have behaved the same way for me in levers, as well.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Will Partitions even matter in the future? If you're young enough I think you'll see lead bullets phased out for hunting in the future. First on public lands, (that's how they sneak it in), and then on private land. Just wait and see.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yaddio
Will Partitions even matter in the future? If you're young enough I think you'll see lead bullets phased out for hunting in the future. First on public lands, (that's how they sneak it in), and then on private land. Just wait and see.

That’s gonna happen on all federal lands before 2024 depending on the mid terms. The feds will twist arms, cite environmental benefits, plus bribes of more .gov money then the states will comply.

Swifty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Yaddio

I think so too, and now work up a mono as well as traditional load for everything I get. As soon as CA got it through, I saw it as becoming a matter of when, not if, nationwide and decided to be ahead of the curve on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could it be they want to price them high to drive customers to factory ammo, either their own or stuff made by others with Nosler bullets? I almost never bought factory CF ammo in the past, but component prices and availability have me snapping up bargain-priced “ready-made”.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that’s part of it. As far as bargain priced factory i suppose it depends on the use. Over the last 4-5 years I layed in a pretty good supply of 556 at any where from 23 cents per to just recently picked up a bunch of Norma 556 for 37 cents and 9mm plinkers. I still load for what really matters, but those 2 don’t fit the bill.

Last edited by Swifty52; 08/30/22.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I got lucky a while back at a gun show. I was setting up my table when the guy next to me was setting up Guy was a lot older than me and seemed a bit feeble so I helped him get his stuff and put it on his table. He was just a reloader well stocked with bullets. He figured old age had caught up with him so wanted to sell out. He had mostly bullets and as we talked I saw he was getting tired and the show hadn't even opened up yet. Maybe a half hour before it opened. I asked what he would take for the whole batch of bullets and said $10 box. It took most of my working cash but well worth it. That stash will last a lot longer than me. Mostly .270, 7mm, and .308" bullets, roughly 5 to 7 boxes in each caliber in Nosler Partitions alone. Quite a bunch of Speer Hot Core and both versions of Grand Slams (Old and new style)as well. ai'll never run out as long as I live.
PJ

That’s a damned good score PJ!

Very good score. That stuff still happens at small town gunshows.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've pretty much gone away from Partitions for the most part. Just too much meat damage even though they are very accurate in my rifles. I have found the Accubonds are just as accurate, are bonded and create a perfect mushroom, and are about half the cost of the Partitions so I'm migrating over to them when my Partition stash is gone.

I see that Nosler is starting to offer lead free bullets in several of their most common hunting calibers including 338, 300, 270, 264, and several others. If everything does go to lead free at least they will be ahead of the curve a bit. I would like to hear if anyone is using any of these bullets at the moment and how they like them... anyone?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've used the Nosler ETips a bit in 30 cal. Haven't shot any bigger game with them, but in terms of loading they've been very finicky like the GMX. They'll shoot, but it was a real chore dialing a load in. They seem a lot more sensitive to length than the TTSX as well as with powder charge.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
106 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.