Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I've been a Nosler bullet bigot since, well, forever.

So, I'm in my local SW as my usual last stop on my weekly vittles run into town. And from way over there I can see newly stocked boxes of Nosler bullets. Awesome.

I walk over there, and holy smokes, they're Partitions. 6.5mm Partitions. Then I look closer, and OMG, they want $72 for a 50 count box of Nosler Partitions.

Then, in a flash it hits me; Nosler is tired of making Partitions and they want old fuds like me to move on to NABs and E-tips. How do ya do that? Why price them Partitions out of existence.

The problem with the plan is COVID. Yup. The last two years when Partitions and NABs were unobtainium, I used 4 - 143 grain ELD-Xs on 4 elk. Hmmm...

So, I think their Rehab Program is gonna work, just not the way they think it will. I also have a bunch of 165 gr. CXs loaded up to test in the .30-06.

I wonder if the Rehab Program graduates will be having reunions....? dunno.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Same boat as you. Still use a bunch of Nosler's, but hell if I am paying that sorta money for them.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Midway is $75 a box for that same bullet. I cannot see it. E-Tips are also $60-75 a box. I might buy Ballistic Tips here and there for a rifle that loves them, but that's going to be about it in the future.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6.5mm TTSX bullets are $45 a box at Midway. It wasn't long ago that a TTSX and a Partition cost about the same.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve even stopped buying the seconds at SPS, they’ve raised the prices to more than I’m willing to give for firsts.

I’m rapidly becoming a Hornady man.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hornady has been the only company in the past 3 years that has been able to both supply the shelves and keep prices reasonable.

I’ve worked up great loads with Hornady that I wouldn’t have done otherwise, and with the cost of load development, primers, and powder - I’m not about to go through that process with another bullet that cost twice as much.

Especially since I found that the Interlocks are amazingly accurate and have great terminal performance.

Nosler and Sierra missed the boat.

Last edited by Stammster; 08/26/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've moved to the Accubonds over the Partitions but not necessarily because of the prices. I've had very good luck with the Accubonds in several rifles and will probably move all my rifles to them soon. My 26 Nosler loves the 140 ABs and even my 338 also shoots them very well. I've never had what I would call a failure with the Partitions, but I have had them come apart and cause more damage than I thought necessary. My son and brother have noticed the same thing on deer and elk we have shot .
Of course, after I switched the prices have gone up so much I'm probably not going back , but then as well as the ABs work I don't have any reason to...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TheKid

This. I've got enough Interlocks to keep me shooting for a very long time.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
i will buy nosler when a good deal is to be had but as stated hornady was the only company to put hunting bullets on the shelves the last few years with minimal price increases so i have gradually switched over to

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Yup. I've enough 250 gr. NABs for chasing Sable, and the 180 gr. NPT has been dialed in with the .30-06 since forever.

But when they're gone, they're gone. Movin' on.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I suppose I've got several thousand Partitions in 6.5, .277, and .308. I'm set for a couple of lifetimes. Ditto Accubonds and Ballistic Tips. Thank you SPS, and pre-2020 purchases.

Starting out I'd go with Hornady, Sierra, Speer, and Lapua and likely bypass most of Nosler's offerings.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Puddle
I've been a Nosler bullet bigot since, well, forever.

So, I'm in my local SW as my usual last stop on my weekly vittles run into town. And from way over there I can see newly stocked boxes of Nosler bullets. Awesome.

I walk over there, and holy smokes, they're Partitions. 6.5mm Partitions. Then I look closer, and OMG, they want $72 for a 50 count box of Nosler Partitions.

Then, in a flash it hits me; Nosler is tired of making Partitions and they want old fuds like me to move on to NABs and E-tips. How do ya do that? Why price them Partitions out of existence.

The problem with the plan is COVID. Yup. The last two years when Partitions and NABs were unobtainium, I used 4 - 143 grain ELD-Xs on 4 elk. Hmmm...

So, I think their Rehab Program is gonna work, just not the way they think it will. I also have a bunch of 165 gr. CXs loaded up to test in the .30-06.

I wonder if the Rehab Program graduates will be having reunions....? dunno.

F'em.

Switched to Speer Grand Slams years ago, for both the .270 Win(150 gr.) and 6.5x55(140 gr.)... for ~ $0.22/pop.

Pushed at moderate velocities (2800/2700 fps, respectively), the game won't know the difference.

Lose a coupla points of BC, but not enough to rule out 350 yd. shots, or even further.

GR

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ironic: Hornady bullets replacing Partitions now. It was a Hornady bullet failure that prompted John Nosler to design his iconic bullet.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Ironic: Hornady bullets replacing Partitions now. It was a Hornady bullet failure that prompted John Nosler to design his iconic bullet.

Indeed... 70 years ago!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I never knew it was a Hornady.. not doubting, just never read anything that said that. I didn’t think Hornadys were around till years after the PTs were around.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Same boat as you. Still use a bunch of Nosler's, but hell if I am paying that sorta money for them.

See my Avatar.. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve even stopped buying the seconds at SPS, they’ve raised the prices to more than I’m willing to give for firsts.

Good man, I mean "kid"..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gene270
i will buy nosler when a good deal is to be had but as stated hornady was the only company to put hunting bullets on the shelves the last few years with minimal price increases so i have gradually switched over to

They have kept me supplied with good pistola bullets as well. Was at a store last Saturday and paid $19.99/box of 124gr XTP'S for my 9mm. Yes, hornady was the only bullets on the shelves too. Fu ck Nosler...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have plenty in 6mm, .270, and .30 for my hunting and probably my sons’ hunting for the foreseeable future. Just loaded 40 150gr for my new ‘06, and have an order for some 160gr .270s from the son who has my old pre-64. Have one box left of those.

At the prices quoted here, I won’t be buying more either. Years ago, Grafs had 150gr Partition Gold (steel cup in the base) for $8 a box. Still have three boxes. Only been a couple of years since SPS was selling 150gr overruns for $20.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/26/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Due in part to COVID's money showers from the government, current inflation, and lack of a work force, many companies are attempting to make big decisions about their image and path forward. Lots of them see a chance to reinvent themselves as boutique companies who cater to those who want the best and don't mind paying for it.

This streamlines things for the corporation... economies of scale, less SKUs, fewer worker salaries, etc.

But a lot of them are about to find out that when every company read the same books and went to the same seminars, some are going to lose. All consumers cannot choose the buy once cry once model in every facet of their lives. At some point, consumers will have to choose between their premium car, premium cable, premium ice cream, premium silverware, and platinum dipped coat hangers...only so many dollars available. So not every company can belong to the diamond stickpin set.

Someone still has to invent, manufacture, and sell the average person an average product that works...well...well-enough.

So we will find other options while the $3 per bullet companies will either find a way to compete or go out of business still blaming we rubes for being too dumb to understand. Lol

Last edited by mjbgalt; 08/26/22.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.