Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by WMR
Wow. That’s quite a stretch in defense of the crazy lady. Clearly there’s a backstory which has locals supporting her. Several posters here make that plain to see.

My post wasn't made in defense for anyone.

It's just facts relating to this story and why it's likely there will not be a investigation or related charges.

Gotta have a crime or violation first.

Who's going to waste time investigating an alleged action when there is no related incident involved?

It'd be like getting cut off in traffic on your way home from work and then calling the cops wanting them to arrest the guy cause it's recorded on your dash cam, it ain't gonna happen.

It is hard to believe that her actions didn't fall under reckless endangerment. Towards the end you can hear his prop hit the water due to the wake she threw when she came within feet of a collision.

I'm not saying that they pilot was in the right, and he may be a real a-hole, but I don't see how some can say that he was at fault and should have yielded her the right of way. She was weaving around him in a random manner and was obviously harassing him, so I don't see how anyone can say that "he could see where she was going" or whatever.

Honestly, if the pilot had shot her and claimed self defense, I would think that he would gotten away with it. I mean, could any of you argue with him if he said, "I feared for my life, and my passengers, because the boat was trying to sink my plane. So I had to shoot in self defense..."

Last edited by Jason_Brown; 10/23/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Charges have been filed.

The owner of a well-known restaurant in Halibut Cove was indicted last week on federal charges accusing her of engaging in a dangerous interaction between a boat and floatplane last summer.

The incident Aug. 23 in the small community across Kachemak Bay from Homer was captured on video and has been widely circulated online. The footage shows a boat making extremely close passes in front of a float-equipped de Havilland Beaver DHC-2.

A federal grand jury indicted Marian Beck, owner of The Saltry Restaurant, on Jan. 19 on charges of attempted destruction of an aircraft and gross negligent operation of a vessel. Beck declined to comment on the case when reached by phone Thursday but said she did nothing wrong and has hired an attorney.

The plane’s pilot, Eric Lee, previously told the Anchorage Daily News that he was initially confused when the boat began making passes at his plane, appearing to come “straight at” him. Lee, who owns Alaska Ultimate Safaris out of Homer, said he was taking a group of people on a sightseeing tour of Katmai National Park and Preserve that day.

Lee told a reporter he flew into the west entrance of Halibut Cove, picked up passengers from the Stillpoint Lodge, and was taxiing back into the bay with seven passengers when the aluminum boat began making passes at the plane.

Lee, who could not be reached by phone Thursday, said at the time he did not know the woman driving the boat, which came within feet of the aircraft.

The indictment against Beck contains few details about the incident. It’s unclear what may have motivated her actions. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jack Schmidt said Thursday he was not able to comment on the case.

Beck and her husband opened The Saltry in 1984. She is one of four children of the late Clem Tillion, a longtime, influential state legislator who died in 2021.

Beck is scheduled to appear at an arraignment hearing next week.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
But,...but..."Right of Way", um....."Pilot is a bad guy", etc. You know, the thing!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The old point that anyone could get a grand jury to indict a baked potato? Going at it from outside the Coast Guard... you know the Fed branch that regulates waters, or the FAA, the ones that rule the air? Months after the incident?

No telling what will happen, but it is oitside the usual course of things.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Going at it from outside the Coast Guard... you know the Fed branch that regulates waters, or the FAA, the ones that rule the air?

Da plane was on the water at the time of the incident.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Going at it from outside the Coast Guard... you know the Fed branch that regulates waters, or the FAA, the ones that rule the air?

Exactly! And the pecking order states clearly that a seaplane on the water has the lowest priority.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Exactly! And the pecking order states clearly that a seaplane on the water has the lowest priority.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-...group-ECFRe4c59b5f5506932/section-91.115

§ 91.115 Right-of-way rules: Water operations.

(a) General. Each person operating an aircraft on the water shall, insofar as possible, keep clear of all vessels and avoid impeding their navigation, and shall give way to any vessel or other aircraft that is given the right-of-way by any rule of this section.

(b) Crossing. When aircraft, or an aircraft and a vessel, are on crossing courses, the aircraft or vessel to the other's right has the right-of-way.

(c) Approaching head-on. When aircraft, or an aircraft and a vessel, are approaching head-on, or nearly so, each shall alter its course to the right to keep well clear.

(d) Overtaking. Each aircraft or vessel that is being overtaken has the right-of-way, and the one overtaking shall alter course to keep well clear.

(e) Special circumstances. When aircraft, or an aircraft and a vessel, approach so as to involve risk of collision, each aircraft or vessel shall proceed with careful regard to existing circumstances, including the limitations of the respective craft.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimInAK
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-...group-ECFRe4c59b5f5506932/section-91.115

§ 91.115 Right-of-way rules: Water operations.

(a) General. Each person operating an aircraft on the water shall, insofar as possible, keep clear of all vessels and avoid impeding their navigation, and shall give way to any vessel or other aircraft that is given the right-of-way by any rule of this section.

(b) Crossing. When aircraft, or an aircraft and a vessel, are on crossing courses, the aircraft or vessel to the other's right has the right-of-way.

(c) Approaching head-on. When aircraft, or an aircraft and a vessel, are approaching head-on, or nearly so, each shall alter its course to the right to keep well clear.

(d) Overtaking. Each aircraft or vessel that is being overtaken has the right-of-way, and the one overtaking shall alter course to keep well clear.

(e) Special circumstances. When aircraft, or an aircraft and a vessel, approach so as to involve risk of collision, each aircraft or vessel shall proceed with careful regard to existing circumstances, including the limitations of the respective craft.

The fact the plane was violating the rules for the area repeatedly caused the CG to say no to prosecution means what to you? There are a ton of other parts to the situation. Why did they accept the pilots claim to not knowing anything? There had been many confrontations...

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You guys did watch the video , right? This had nothing v to do with “Right of Way”. The Sea Hag was obviously harassing the folks in the plane. Only the most obtuse would suggest otherwise.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WMR
You guys did watch the video , right? This had nothing v to do with “Right of Way”. The Sea Hag was obviously harassing the folks in the plane. Only the most obtuse would suggest otherwise.
Because the video gives the entire story of the conflict?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And we know the krazy broad on the boat had filed a float plan to spin brodies in the harbor ! smirk

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by WMR

So address the conflict in court. As she told me one time when I was docked at the Saltry “my sister is an attorney!”

WFD

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WMR

Of course not. It appears that the conflict is an ongoing thing. How would that excuse the boat spinning circles around the moving plane?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is an old grudge match. The pilot is an asswhole and was pushing the confrontation from day one. For him to claim he knew nothing is an obvious lie. That alone when presented to the judge, coupled with the fact the CG and FAA refused to intervene, should result in a no standing order.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR
Of course not. It appears that the conflict is an ongoing thing. How would that excuse the boat spinning circles around the moving plane?
The “ongoing thing” aside, I’m going to guess that there was something prior to the video starting.

But, I’m guessing.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR
The “ongoing thing” aside, I’m going to guess that there was something prior to the video starting.

But, I’m guessing.

Very likely true. Things like this usually have a backstory. But unless he did a strafing run or dropped napalm, the video is hard to explain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She got indicted on federal charges

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank
She got indicted on federal charges
Troopers refused to do anything. CG refused to do anything. FAA refused to do anything.

Currently have virtually no respect for the Federal Government... I hope she walks. And I do not like her and despised Clem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.