Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I was at a new to me shop today and found an interesting rifle. I would like to give what info I know and for those of you with way more Marlin knowledge than me, ask you to share that in this thread.

The rifle is a model 336SC in 32 Win. SPL. It has an unaltered waffle top with a 24 inch barrel and half magazine. The iron sights less the hood, are in place and in good shape. The black Marlin butt plate and spacer are in place with no cracks. The wood and metal are in 75%+ condition with no rust, pitting or major dings. There is heavy blueing loss in the spots where it would be carried and handled. The bullseye hole is there, but it's missing. No swivel studs have been put in the gun's stock or forend. The bore is clean and the rifling sharp. The action is butter smooth and it's got the best trigger I've ever felt on a Marlin. The serial# Jxxxxx indicates a 1952 date of manufacture. The serial # is on the bottom tang under the lever.

I almost bought it, but I wanted to step back and investigate it more and seek your opinions. With it's unaltered waffle top and age, many would see it as more of a collectable. I am not a collector for value. I see this rifle as a well used hunter that has plenty of life left in it to hunt. For me at this point in life, that means drilling and tapping it for a scope mount and installing sling swivel studs.

What would you pay for a rifle of this type and description? Would you D&T it? Another consideration is the chambering. I know it's harder to find, but I just happen to know where some factory ammo is. Would this caliber stop you from buying the rifle?

Any comments or recommendations on the rifle, cartridge chambering or modifications would be appreciated.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If it has a 24"barrel it is a model 336a 24 inch barrel 2/3 magazine. It is kind of rare in that you usually see more 336 in 30-30 and 35 remington then .32 special, and more sc model's then a model's. (this has been my observation) Replacing the bullseye is no big problem. Unaltered waffletop's are kind of scarce also. The fact that it is a .32 would not bother me in the least, you should be able to find plenty of ammo for it, and is a easy reload (and usually a really good cast bullet shooter), I guess it would have some collector value as it is unaltered and in pretty good shape other then the blueing loss. A high end collector would pass it by. It would be a superb hunting rifle, I would not want to spend more then 500 to 600. I don't know if I could bring myself to d&t it (I would just use a receiver sight). It is just a tool and make it work better for you is the common approach. Many were sent back to the factory for d&t. I say buy it if the price is ok with you and do what you want to take it out hunting!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had one in 35 Rem that was drilled and tapped many years ago. Had it not been, I couldn't bring myself to do it to the gun. As above, I would use the receiver peep sight.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have no idea what such a specimen is worth today. Most of the Marlin 336 models I saw over some decades of collecting were considerably better specimens than you describe. Such rifle condition would seem unusual. I'd not wish it. That said the "Rifle" with the 24" barrel is not common. I have a couple one in 30-30 and my preference in .35 Remington. A big question in my estimation is ammo availability and whether you're a hand-loader. I'd not buy a 32 Special in Winchester pre 64 or a Marlin of such era unless it was a terrific buy!

The waffle top as original and undisturbed is a very nice compliment to an early 336 rifle. From practical use in conjunction with scope mounting possibilities. This early model to me is too marred!

Good luck
Best!
John

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
John,

The overall condition and caliber are the two things holding me back. But I do load and also know where a case of Winchester factory loads are.

I'm starting to think from my research, that I am wrong on the barrel length. It just seemed longer to me. The shop is asking $450.00. I believe that's too much, even in these crazy times for Marlin prices.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
$450? Too much?
Get out of the way for others.....

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Get out of the way for others. That rifle has been there for at least two months. The rifle was there when I went in and it's still sitting there. Anyone wanting it can buy it.

I'm pretty damn sure there's not a line waiting for their turn to buy it.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
name and phone number of shop please.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like my waffle tops and my 32 Special pre-64 Win. I'm into shooters, but having one at 90%+ is a big plus. I'd buy the one you describe in a heartbeat.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
$450.00 is a steal..buy it
I've hunted with my 1960 Marlin 336 SC .32 Spl. for 55 years
The .32 Spl. will do anything a 30-30 or .35rem will do.
I know for a fact the .32 Spl. will kill a 305 lb. Black bear with one shot.

Last edited by Mossyoak1957; 08/30/22.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I've researched the rifle and appreciate all of your responses.

I went back and looked at the rifle again. It is an SC with 2/3 mag and 20 inch barrel. The stock is really nice and the blueing has fair honest wear for a seventy year old rifle that's been hunted and used. After a little negotiation, I bought it for $425.00. I should have bought it Saturday.

I also looked at the ammo and reloading components situation. Right now it's easier to find 32 Win. SPL. than it is 35 Remington. I found 12 boxes of Win. 170gr. PP at a shop in New Hampshire. This ammo is in the grey box with red and black printing. I was happy to make a deal for all of it at $31.25 box. I'll be picking that up tomorrow.

I'll be taking it apart and giving it a good scrub. Next stop for it will be getting it D&T. I know that is not what a lot of collectors would want to hear, but it's not a museum piece and scoping it will make it better for me to hunt with. I also need to get sling studs and a replacement bullseye for it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Well thats good. I have the same rifle not drilled and tapped, and a 1961? (i would have to look again) SC that is drilled and tapped that I put a leupold 1-4 scope on. Very nice rifles, you will like it. I was going to say that in my original post about the 32 vs 35 rem that I have seen more bullet's and ammo for the 32 over the .35 the past couple year's. Good luck with it!
Karl

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I took the rifle apart today and worked on cleaning it. The action and bore were in very good shape, just needed a cleaning. The bore cleaned up really well. No pitting that I could see and the rifling was very clean and sharp.

The underside of the barrel and mag tube were a different story. I don't believe the forend has ever been pulled off the gun. There were quite a few patches of rust and crud. Luckily, 0000 steel wool and Hoppes got it off and no pitting under it.

I've got a hammer spur and replacement bullseye on the way and have a line on a replacement forend cap that has a forend swivel stud built in.

My brother has challenged me to go lever gun all season in Miss. except for the RAR .350L and 7.62x39 we bought this year. I told him no problem.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I hope the hammer spur works for you. The hammer spur for the later guns don't work on early guns, different profile.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When looking or hammer spurs, I think there are actually 3 different variations, based upon serial number/dom.
Check the Uncle Mike's website.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The hammer spur is one I bought off ebay It's supposed to be for narrow profile hammers. We'll see if it fits. If not it'll go in the parts bin and I'll have to try again.

WST, thanks for the info. I went to the Uncle Mike's site. They list spurs for two models of Marlin rifles. First are for 57-82, then, 83 to present. Going with this info, you are correct on the three variations.

If the one coming doesn't work, I might have to put out an APB for one on the campfire.

Thanks,

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Mossyoak1957
$450.00 is a steal..buy it
I've hunted with my 1960 Marlin 336 SC .32 Spl. for 55 years
The .32 Spl. will do anything a 30-30 or .35rem will do.
I know for a fact the .32 Spl. will kill a 305 lb. Black bear with one shot.

Not "do anything"! Unlikely it will ever be available at prices of the 30-30 Win or even the .35 Remington. As stated, I'd consider buying such a chambering in a really great shape Marlin or Winchester, but lesser, beyond place-holder in collection, no way short of "truck gun & handloader - which I'm not.

Just my... perhaps too fussy... take. smile
Best!
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A clean 336SC in 32 Spec, with an unmolested waffle top is near the top of my 'wish list'. Had one many moons ago, and sold it. People often ask about guns you've had and wish you'd never let go of - the 336SC in 32 Spec is one of mine.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You're lucky that rifle was still there.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Well, I guess some updates are in order. I picked up the .32 WS from the gunsmith yesterday. It's been d&t and is now mounted with a 4x Leupold. The hammer spur I bought didn't fit. The width was fine, but the hammer was too thick top to bottom. No big deal because I can easily access the hammer without one.

The '52 SC .35 Rem. is also scoped up and ready to get to the range. I put a Bushnell 2-7x32 Firefly on it. It came to me with a receiver sight and what looks like a Remington front sight post. The rear sight is missing and has a slot blank fitted. I'm going to keep an eye out for the proper front sight post and rear sight assembly.

I found forend caps with sling studs in them for both rifles. They went on and fit both perfectly. The originals were put in the parts box.

The CS 30-30 that I bought at the beginning of summer is also scope with the 2-7x32 Elite. As soon as I get some test loads made up for the .35, they will all be taken out for testing and sight in.

Even though I've got others that need to be used, I've accepted my brother's challenge for this to be a lever action season. I started off a long time ago with lever guns, I ain't skeeerrd.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Picture practice. The levers I bought recently.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

.32, 30-30 and .35

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 21 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.