Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Are you guys into those hunting knives and fillet knives with replaceable blades? I've seen some nasty pictures on Amazon a folks cutting themselves with those scalpel blades in the reviews.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I like my Havalons for the role they serve. My filet knives are many and varied. My typical is a 10” Dexter. My smaller and one of my favorites is an old Swedish knife that’s been sharpened and slimmed down to roughly 7”. It’s firm but flexible for its size and I can go through Rockfish (Sebastes) limits with speed and precision with that little knife. I found it in an old tackle box that was my wife’s grandpa’s. He had old mother of pearl spoons and some cool old PNW and Scandinavian fishing gear.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
PS….keep your flesh away from the sharp edge and pointy front and you’ll be good. Dull knives are more dangerous anyway.

My knives are kept razor sharp. Dull knives are worthless 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve witnessed some fuucking bad cuts from havalon blades. Sloooooow down and do shiit right, or buy a Ingram or menefee… 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I like my Havalons for the role they serve. My filet knives are many and varied. My typical is a 10” Dexter. My smaller and one of my favorites is an old Swedish knife that’s been sharpened and slimmed down to roughly 7”. It’s firm but flexible for its size and I can go through Rockfish (Sebastes) limits with speed and precision with that little knife. I found it in an old tackle box that was my wife’s grandpa’s. He had old mother of pearl spoons and some cool old PNW and Scandinavian fishing gear.
I have 1 Havalon I use for small game. Them things are wicked Sharp.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
In my experience, using a folder as a hunting knife just creates a lot more work (cleaning all of the blood and tissue/fur that invariably works its way into inside crevices after I'm finished with the chore at hand).

I much prefer a fixed blade knife. Lately, I've become fond of my little KOA Cub Bear. I keep it as sharp as possible. It does everything I need for it to do!

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
3.25"

Victorinox - Swiss Army 47602 Wavy Paring Knife

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

https://www.katom.com/037-47602.html

------------------------

Dexter makes a similar knife a bit cheaper that sell for $3.01.

Straight edge even less...

https://www.katom.com/135-31612.html

I buy dozens of these every decade or so...

They work for me

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree cleaning a folder is a lot of extra work. My go to knives have been Buck fixed blades for years. I've pretty much settled on a 116 for all gutting and skinning needs. When I'm all done I can throw it in the dishwasher. I did buy a rubber handled KOA Alpha Wolf to try this year. My only complaint about the Bucks is the handles do get a bit slick when wet. I do have a havalon but that only seems to get used for caping back at home or camp.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For little jobs like gutting a skinning a deer I just use my pocketknife. I guess my definition of a lot of work is different than some because I can clean up the hinge and liner on my pocketknife in about 3 minutes at the sink.

For bigger jobs like skinning and quartering an elk or moose I generally use 2 knives and they happen to be fixed blades. I have done an elk with my pocketknife though.

I was with a guy who had one of the replaceable blade knifes when he skinned a bear once. Nothing majorly catastrophic but he did put some extra holes in the hide. I think there may be such thing as too sharp for general use.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Many on here know I make knives for discerning hunters and fishermen. Many guides use my blades and I’ve found the more experienced the hunter/guide, the smaller the blade they choose to carry. Case in point is a very successful brown bear guide who works Unimak and Kodiak islands and has eight of my blades. All with 2 1/2” blades….that’s he uses on those huge critters. My elk guide buddies I hunt with prefer 3”-3 1/2” blades. No Havelons for any of them….

Last edited by Godogs57; 08/28/22.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m not a knife snob at all. Whatever works, works. For small game, I really like the Gerber, aka Fiskars, game shears I bought about twenty years ago. The make disjointing stuff easy and safe, and help preserve knife edges.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dull knives are worthless 😉

And dangerous.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dexter russel metal fowl shears and a dexter russel plain edge net knife with a 3" blade for game of all sizes. I don't even use a knife for birds, just the shears to remove bone and my hands to remove meat/feathers/skin/guts. Fish is another matter entirely as large blades are the only way to get at the thick skinned larger finned game we have in the gulf.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm curious, why is the Havalon any more dangerous than other knives? Does it collapse on the user? Blades snap and break unexpectedly?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Smallest would have been a 2.5 inch Kershaw. Only knife I had on an evening walk when I didnt really expect to see an elk....

Thats the only time it got used for that.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use most anything. A lot of deer that I have gutted were done with small folding pocket knives. I have done some with an inch and a half cutting edge Kai including skinning. I have done more with a Gerber LST. My preference is small fixed blade knives, 3 inch blades. made from decent steel.

I do not find folders to be any harder to clean than fixed. Hot water and Dawn makes short work of it. Nor do I have issues with slick handles. Once I have a little blood on the handle it gets sticky.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC
I'm curious, why is the Havalon any more dangerous than other knives? Does it collapse on the user? Blades snap and break unexpectedly?

User error in every case I've seen. That's what we call a mild-serious-severe-fatal (as the case may be) attack of dumbass.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like to use a knife the length of my index finger. Which is about 3 " allows for control of the blade especially gutting a larger animal. I like to use a saw for the ribs and pelvic bone.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My ESEE Izula is a good skinner

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 68 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.