Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CashisKing
3.25"

Victorinox - Swiss Army 47602 Wavy Paring Knife

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

https://www.katom.com/037-47602.html

------------------------

Dexter makes a similar knife a bit cheaper that sell for $3.01.

Straight edge even less...

https://www.katom.com/135-31612.html

I buy dozens of these every decade or so...

They work for me

I've got that exact Vitorinox I've literally had for 30 years. Got a red handled one too that I've had for 20.

I've sharpened the both of them, but the black handled one almost to the point (pardon the pun) where the serrations are gone.

My fish knife for scaling and skinning down at the dock is a Dexter, although I filet with a custom filet knife that was gifted to me.

My game knife is custom ... I forget the name of the guy who forged it, he was recommended by a buddy of mine who makes scales for custom knife makers. It's skinned a lot of venison over the years.

I'm a knife snob to some degree I guess but I mainly am a snob about keeping them razor sharp at all times, all my knives ... pocket knives, kitchen knives, hunting and fishing knives, big survival choppers, doesn't matter ... keep'em sharp. I'm usually honing a different knife every night while watching tv sitting in my chair or on the front porch or back deck. It calms me, helps me to reflect.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Geno67
Originally Posted by MOGC
I'm curious, why is the Havalon any more dangerous than other knives? Does it collapse on the user? Blades snap and break unexpectedly?

User error in every case I've seen. That's what we call a mild-serious-severe-fatal (as the case may be) attack of dumbass.

So the injured person would have done the same with any sharp knife?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For fish, I like a traditional filet knife. On deer, hogs and small game I use a smallish fixed blade.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm curious, why is the Havalon any more dangerous than other knives? Does it collapse on the user? Blades snap and break unexpectedly?

User error in every case I've seen. That's what we call a mild-serious-severe-fatal (as the case may be) attack of dumbass.

Yup. Nothing wrong with using a scalpel - it's use is no different than any other blade. Not my cup of tea unless lancing a boil or removing a foreign object.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hell.............went bowhunting and forgot my knife ended up shooting a nice 8 point used the only thing I had that was sharp.....a "Bear Broadhead" on a arrow 30" long....worked OK got less blood on my hands with the long arrow.....

So I would say just about anything that is sharp will work.....

I've been making knives for over 50 years....fixed blade around 2 1/2" of a blade is all that needed and even that is long....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't use a scalpel blade knife either. The way some of the replies were framed it seemed that maybe there was an inherit design flaw or risk particular to that genre of knife.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

The replaceable/scalpel type knives offer a much narrower window of “oops” for folks who haven’t learned to let the knife do the work. Or, for folks who don’t know how to sharpen a knife properly and have been working w/dull knives forever.

Not that one should, but, the scalpel blades do not tolerate “prying” very well either and can cause a serious “slip” when they snap.

In regards to the OP. 2.5”-3.5” fixed blades the majority of the time, mostly fixed blades.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Standard carbon steel Case Trapper

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rapala filet knife for fish. Been using the same Green River Russel sheepskinner model on deer, antelope, elk and a mountain goat for nigh on 50 years now. Only sharpened it on a stone a couple of a dozen times, mostly keep the edge tuned with medium - fine grooved steel.. cost me $1.50 new in 1972 bought 4 of them for $6.00 . Gave one to a guy who I thought was a friend, one to a guy who is still a friend and kept the 4th one as a backup.. Pretty damn sure it and my old Remington M700 ADL 7 mm mag. are some of the best spent money in my life...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The two small knives that I use are the Buck Skinner
[Linked Image from buckknives.com]

and the Havalon Piranta
[Linked Image from havalon.com]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
A havalon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use these Made by Dave Kauffman Montana.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For skinning and field dressing - 4 inch custom drop point.
For boning out and processing - a 5 inch Forester flex blade and an 8 inch Forester slicing style.
Trout and birds - a 3 inch custom spear point and / or a pair of game shears.
Fish filleting - Rapalla.

I do not like folding knives for cleaning game. I always have a three blade Case Stockman for general purpose use.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Have a couple of buddy's that use the havalond, glad as every season they ask me to sharpen there cheap knives, I tend to use smaller knives fixed blade, tho I did buy a nice folder, musk ox crown, off Vince here to use, it's just to nice tho! Use M
Miller, treemans or MeC fee.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a Russel Green River paring knife with my Axis grips.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I carry a fixed blade knife for every day carry. I have several bench made knives made from discarded electric hack saw blades but they are larger than what I prefer and the workmanship is so so. I like a fixed blade knife with a 3 to 3 3/4 inch blade. Case, Schrade Old Timer and Uncle Henry, and Moore Maker work fine for me. I prefer carbon steel blades but most now a days have stainless steel. I prefer a stag handle. Still trying to learn the best way to sharpen a knife. Currently using a water stone, wet or dry sandpaper, razor hone and leather strop. I would love to have a high quality knife like a Menefee or Randall but cost is a factor. I cut lots of things with my knives and try to keep them sharp but they get used and worn down from sharpening. Hay twine is hard on a blade.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
All I ever use on game is folders. I don't have any trouble cleaning them. I don't want a fixed blade on my belt and if I had to carry a pack hunting I'd stay the fugg home. Anything that won't fit in my pockets isn't going afield. For small game/birds some favorites are an Old Timer 194OT liner lock gunstock trapper, a Camillus Sword Brand #3 lockback and a Buck 500 Duke. For deer some long time favorites are a Puma 970 Game Warden, a Camillus Sword Brand #4 lockback and an old nylon handled Parker Imai lockback.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Smallest would have been a 2.5 inch Kershaw. Only knife I had on an evening walk when I didnt really expect to see an elk....

Thats the only time it got used for that.....

Not a knife snob if it will get sharp enough and stay that way long enough, I'm good.
Prefer folders, a minute of hot water from a sprayer strips it clean.

Always used a 3-4 inch blade, never measured but it just seemed right.

Grabbed a roadkill one night and my only knife was a little
Bucklight. Maybe 2" blade, sharp as heck.
It sucked donkey balls. Maybe im too "inexperienced", but a bit
more blade makes it a dam sight easier to get stuff cut loose inside.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Carrying things in my pockets seems to wear holes in my pants. Keys and pocket knives are the worst. Folding money in a money clip not so much. Copenhagen and Skoal cans used to be a problem before I quit using them. They got too expensive. So I carry a small shooter and a small fixed blade knife on my belt. Small saddle bags and pickup trucks carry the things one would normally put in a backpack.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't use a scalpel blade knife either. The way some of the replies were framed it seemed that maybe there was an inherit design flaw or risk particular to that genre of knife.

My buddy helped me skin my bull elk three years ago. We went to work with my handmade knife on one side and his favorite Havelon on the other. I went through my side with no issues and it still shaved afterwards. He had to stop and change blades on his Havelon SIX times. The accidents I’ve witnessed with Havelons have, in each case, been blades snapping in use. It happens.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,876
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.