Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by MOGC
I don't use a scalpel blade knife either. The way some of the replies were framed it seemed that maybe there was an inherit design flaw or risk particular to that genre of knife.

My buddy helped me skin my bull elk three years ago. We went to work with my handmade knife on one side and his favorite Havelon on the other. I went through my side with no issues and it still shaved afterwards. He had to stop and change blades on his Havelon SIX times. The accidents I’ve witnessed with Havelons have, in each case, been blades snapping in use. It happens.

Good to know.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have done a couple of deer with a medium Stockman pocket knife

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't use a scalpel blade knife either. The way some of the replies were framed it seemed that maybe there was an inherit design flaw or risk particular to that genre of knife.

My buddy helped me skin my bull elk three years ago. We went to work with my handmade knife on one side and his favorite Havelon on the other. I went through my side with no issues and it still shaved afterwards. He had to stop and change blades on his Havelon SIX times. The accidents I’ve witnessed with Havelons have, in each case, been blades snapping in use. It happens.

There's the problem....

He was using the Chinese "havelon" knock-off instead of an actual havalon.

If someone knows their azzhole from a hole in the ground, they won't break a havalon blade. If they don't, they'll probably break a bunch and cut the schiet out of themselves.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
An Havalon and a Leatherman Wave are carried for most things. A Weinand bird and trout for birds and trout.

I used my Hinderer NRA knife for big game until I started using an Havalon for coyotes and this converted me.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own maybe 6-8 custom knives. Very pleasing to the eye and they feel good. When it comes time to skin and bone out a critter one of my stainless Mora’s come out. Would guess the blade is about 4 inches long.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm curious, why is the Havalon any more dangerous than other knives? Does it collapse on the user? Blades snap and break unexpectedly?
From what I read people getting in the joints of animals and tweaking the blade snaps the blade and also sometimes when they're are inside the animal cleaning the blade sometime falls off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Malibu FireAnt from Charles May as good as any. The blade length is 2 3/8” and the overall length is 5 1/8”.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About all I carry anymore.

Erik Fritz Damascus and a set made for me by my uncle with mastadon ivory.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Light Hunter by Kim Ralston out of Grenada MS.

Last edited by Robb10238; 08/28/22. Reason: Typo
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Havalon’s and similar are a perfect example of just how fugking stupid society has become.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

There's the problem....

If someone knows their azzhole from a hole in the ground, they won't break a havalon blade. If they don't, they'll probably break a bunch and cut the schiet out of themselves.

I don’t know, and have zero reason to know, but I’d bet all Havelons are Chinese.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by ingwe
Smallest would have been a 2.5 inch Kershaw. Only knife I had on an evening walk when I didnt really expect to see an elk....

Thats the only time it got used for that.....

, but a bit
more blade makes it a dam sight easier to get stuff cut loose inside.

For sure. I hate having to feel where the tip of a tiny blade is with my other hand also up in the thoracic cavity.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Havalon’s and similar are a perfect example of just how fugking stupid society has become.

Amen. Pussified men who can't sharpen a freaking knife.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

What steel and maker, Go.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The most dangerous thing about a Havalon is changing blades. Especially if you break or dull one and have to change it with bloody hands and a bloody knife. You better have a pair of pliers with you.

I’m amazed at the guys I run into who don’t even carry a knife. And 90 percent of those who do can’t sharpen one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used my dad's old 1973 Shrade 787 "Improved Muskrat" pocket knife, to field dress the small 6 pointer I shot up my older sister & B-I-L farm. I carry that small folding pocketknife everywhere I go, just like my dad did. I was with him back in 1973 on a family camping trip when he and I went into the local store nearby, and he bought it. Later on, he bought another one and only used that one to open mail. It sat on the end table next to his cigar ashtray for decades. My older sister has that one now, as my mom kept it safe after my dad passed away in 2002.

This very same pocket knife, was ALWAYS in his pants pocket, from working in the garage, to dressing up in a business suit as an IBM Engineer, to helping with the volunteer rescue squad.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ButchAmmon; 08/28/22.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jaguartx

What steel and maker, Go.
I’m the maker. CPM154 stainless. I do my own heat treat and tempering so I know it’s right. That blade I used is one I made for myself. 61.0 Rockwell.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

There's the problem....

I don’t know, and have zero reason to know, but I’d bet all Havelons are Chinese.

Their website shows Taiwan.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
I’d never heard of these before this thread. I googled them. I’m out!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mostly folks who don't know how to sharpen a knife as was earlier said. The blades are very thin and most people don't realize how easy it is to snap one. Pressure from directly behind the blade when cutting tissue is fine. When it touches bone - it's not fine. After they snap one, it can easily go somewhere unintended.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.