Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Don’t know much about them. Can/should you shoot while they are on? Are there aids available that also block the sound of gunfire like some of the electronic shooting ear muffs?

Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I take my hearing aids out when at the gun club and when hunting. That is the time to use electronic ear muffs.
You can still hear people or game but they are designed to shut out sounds over a certain level. Hearing aids do not do that.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I was told to take them out by the audiologist

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I take mine out too!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I take them out and replace them with electronic amplifying ear plugs. If, as I do sometimes, I’m using muffs, I take them out as well.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Ok, I get it. Take them out. Anyone aware of hearing aids out there that also protect your ears from loud noises, like the shooting muffs?

Thanks

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
Look at Walker Game Ears. I know there are competitors, but I've been happy with Walkers for years.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I take them out when at the rifle range. I've used Walker muffs for years and when shooting sporting clays I leave the hearing aids in but have the muffs on. My hearing hasn't deteriorated over the last several check ups.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Ok, I get it. Take them out. Anyone aware of hearing aids out there that also protect your ears from loud noises, like the shooting muffs?

Thanks

Call these guys - started in hearing aids and then moved to muffs - IIRC. Still - it appears their hearing aids offer what you're asking. These are their in ear models but they have behind the ear too etc.

Axil - Hearing

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
I tried Axil GS Electronic ear buds with a wire that hangs behind your head that provides adjustable sound control.

Worst things I've ever tried. The ear buds wouldn't stay in, were very uncomfortable and only partially blocked outside sound. When your ears are ringing after every shot and you've wearing hearing protection, you know what you have is crap.

I put them on the shelf in my closet and never tried them again.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a set of Walker Bluetooth combo clamping protectors. The audio is fair, the amplified ambient audio is buzzy, and the clamping sucks. Gonna try them one more time as straight plugs that I can turn the ambient on as needed for talking with others as needed. They seem to work pretty well as plugs, but haven’tbtried them with gunfire yet.

To be fair, these were half-price, so I shoulda known I guess.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wear hearing aids occasionally, although rarely ever when I'm outside as they pick up too much unwanted noise. My audiologist told me that it would be best not to wear them when shooting, but that they were designed to block out most of the sound of a gunshot.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My niece/audiologist said to remove them AND SHUT THEM OFF - as the shock impulse can be damaging to the instruments.
They HAVE survived quite a few "cowboy drive-by's" on coyotes, however!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I wear my hearing aids when turkey hunting and turn them up when blind calling but turn them back to normal once I hear a bird. I shoot a 20 ga and never had any ringing after shooting a bird. One shot only so not sure about multiple shots? Living on the edge I know because if I ever forget to turn them back down I am sure it would do damage.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wear hearing aids when turkey hunting, all the time, including when I shoot.
But I hunt them with a bow and arrows 🙃

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have worn hearing aids for 25 plus years. My audiologist has always said not to worry about them, they have circuits that will limit the output to your ears at 85db. I normally put muffs on over the aids. Have never had a problem wearing and shooting them no other ear protection.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I take my hearing aids out and switch to Walker Game Ears when hunting, shooting.

Ted

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 23 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.