Campfire Regular
E
Or full length is the question , opinions please , thanks

HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I FL size everything. Haven’t found the downside myself.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Neck size with a Lee Collet, bump shoulders as necessary with a Redding body die.

That assumes it is not for multiple rifles or an auto of some sort, those can change the equation.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I full length with minimal shoulder bump like this

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a bad experience with a neck die. It induced .007 run out in every case. Now I use a LCD and FL when required. As stated above, this is assuming for bolt actions and the brass is unique to the rifle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I can get by with it, I like partial FLS. There’s not one answer for all situations, sad to say. After getting by for my minimal .30/06 efforts for decades with a Lee tool and a RCBS Competition seater, a new rifle forced me to buy a regular set of dies. Not a bad thing actually as I can now leave the RCBS seater set for .308 instead of winding it up and down.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I neck size until I start to feel some resistant when chambering a round then I full length resize - usually after 2-3 reloads. I find it slows the need for case trimming as well as decreasing the chance of a case head separation.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a Redding 30-06 neck sizing die which I have used for many years in my Model 70 .06. I have never a had failure to chamber using it. About every 4th firing, I partial FLS to set the shoulder back when they do get stiff and anneal. These are all hunting rounds. For my .308 and 6.5 Swede, I partial FLS as Pappy348 posted. I see no sense in FLS and working the brass when not required.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I full length with minimal shoulder bump like this

Same method here.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used to neck size some brass, but got too much runout. I went to partial FL sizing and never looked back. Do Not over work your brass. You are taking a lot of life out of your brass. Only FL size enough for your rifle. Good shooting

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I used to neck size some brass, but got too much runout. I went to partial FL sizing and never looked back. Do Not over work your brass. You are taking a lot of life out of your brass. Only FL size enough for your rifle. Good shooting

Conventional neck dies are often a source of runout.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by sidewinder72

Conventional neck dies are often a source of runout.

This was one of my first revelations when I got a concentricity gauge.

Got a bunch of Redding neck sizers that I need to sell . . .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just set up the new Lee sizer. Instructions say to thread it in until it touches the shellholder, then another 1/4-1/3 turn. I did the first part, then set the ring. Cases fired in “something else” that wouldn’t come close to entering the chamber now go in with just the slightest resistance when turning down the bolt. Not quite as precise as the turn and try method, but close enough for a start. After firing I’ll check if they’ll work with just the sizing from the Lee loader, which works the brass even less, having no expander. Bought an arbor press for that, no more hammering!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cortina knows a thing or two. I was shocked when he says nobody neck sizes any more in his circles. His videos are informative. The precision involved in F-Class shooting is mind blowing.

Last edited by Dusty246; 08/28/22.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Dusty246
Cortina knows a thing or two. I was shocked when he says nobody neck sizes any more in his circles. His videos are informative. The precision involved in F-Class shooting is mind blowing.
Yeah ! I’ve been watching some of his videos .

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dusty246

^^ THIS ^^ i stop neck sizing years ago waste of time for accuracy

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My question for Cortina and all the guys who advocate FL sizing would be "whose dies are you using, and do you set for partial FL sizing?"

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Neck size with a Lee Collet, bump shoulders as necessary with a Redding body die.

That assumes it is not for multiple rifles or an auto of some sort, those can change the equation.

my regimen exactly..

The less I work the brass the longer it lasts me... I anneal almost every time...

Test fitting into the chamber, before pulling out the body die...

if it needs it or is tight, then I use the body die to bump the shoulder and the rest of it back down to specs.

some of my loads, only require that every 4th or 5th reload.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He shot a 1.3" group on video at 1000yds. His videos are fantastic and be sure to check out the one with his mentor "Speedy" Gonzales talking about the wharehouse range and shooting .0 groups. They throw away a 1/4" rifles lol. Very entertaining for us loonies, and River you can email him and ask. He answers questions on his blog.

Last edited by Dusty246; 08/28/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider
My question for Cortina and all the guys who advocate FL sizing would be "whose dies are you using, and do you set for partial FL sizing?"

That's exactly what he is doing, about a .002" shoulder bump to allow perfect function. Dave7mm might chime in, him and his crew do a bunch of LR shooting with pretty high end guns and I am not positive but I don't believe he's a neck sizer either.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 74 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.