Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 26 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 25 26
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This nonsense has been discussed beyond reason. Most of the people that endorse the 223 and small calibers for game will be singing a different tune when you ask them about personal defense.

How is it that small calibers and cartridges are such great game killers, but you need a canon to kill a human in a self defense scenario?

In my experience - I usually hear the opposite.

"Why can I engage and kill terrorists who go 200lbs with a 223 but a 120-140 lb deer on the hoof is suddenly too much?" (disregard bullet construction differences in the 2 scenarios)

I don't know the answer- would I hesitate to shoot a deer if all I had in my hands was a 223 with proper bullets? Nope. Would I generally select a 223? Nope. For me there's a difference between "prefer" and "works".

The purpose for a cartridge in war is to wound, not kill. When you wound a soldier, you take 2 or 3 out of the battle as they attend to the wounded soldier. Kill one and you only lose one. It may not sound like good logic, but that is the theory of fighting a war. We are not fighting a war with deer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I see Shrapnel is still as full of crap as ever.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness,her "understanding" of Ballistics is fhuqking HILARIOUS and her Imagination and Pretend routinely take her to places that don't exist. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're also not talking just FMJ fighting ammo here.

Having owned a couple of AR10 rifles in .308, I can tell you that I'd rather fight with a 5.56 with expanding ammo than a 7.62, unless you are maybe talking about some very long distances or armor. Self/home defense against criminals? An expanding 5.56 in a torso that's only 5-10 inches deep is going to be bad news, like shooting a broadside yearling deer. or an 80lb pig. Not sure a .30cal is making any difference there, except being harder to shoot and toting less ammo.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A 40 grain Ballistic Tip isn't doing an unarmored torso any good.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
From first hand experience I know a 40 grain Ballistic Tip launched at 223 speeds will penetrate to a doe whitetail's tenderloin when shot head-on in the chest, killing her most assuredly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad used to keep a couple of old pawn-shop .22 centerfires on a portable bench on his front porch, ready to go. It would be coyotes, pigs, or whatever that came out in his field and a 45-55gr V-max or HP in the lungs would shut stuff down pretty quickly, with nothing going more than 30-40yds. They might not bleed much, but they died dang fast, often right on the spot. FMJs and green tips from an AR in the same role? More stuff ran off to never be found. Dirt would fly off a pig's lungs but you'd often not locate a body. Bullet construction and impact velocity matter.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thus far bullet recommendations have covered the gamut from copper solids, to pointed soft points, to ballistic tips (varmint bullets?). Who knows....
I've got some 60gr Nosler Partitions I'm going to try. If they group well I will try them on some deer this season.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I agree with Shrap. This .223 bullshit is like the 6.5 creed. I have shot game and a lot of it with /22 caliber rifles. But I have done it carefully, and realize for general hunting I want a larger caliber. A deer shot at sundown, doesn't give you much time to follow its trail.. I want something large with more bullet wt. and diameter. I don't shoot my deer over food plots or from box blinds. For those that do, I know it will work. But I still prefer a tradition deer rifle for my hunting.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why not? I have shot a quite a few with just the Hornady 55 sp. Then the 65gr Serria GK. My latest is a 75gr Hornady BTHP.
If you think rib shots get yer knife out. If you pray n spray at running deer that are out of range stay at home.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This nonsense has been discussed beyond reason. Most of the people that endorse the 223 and small calibers for game will be singing a different tune when you ask them about personal defense.

How is it that small calibers and cartridges are such great game killers, but you need a canon to kill a human in a self defense scenario?

"Why can I engage and kill terrorists who go 200lbs with a 223 but a 120-140 lb deer on the hoof is suddenly too much?" (disregard bullet construction differences in the 2 scenarios)

I don't know the answer- would I hesitate to shoot a deer if all I had in my hands was a 223 with proper bullets? Nope. Would I generally select a 223? Nope. For me there's a difference between "prefer" and "works".

The purpose for a cartridge in war is to wound, not kill. When you wound a soldier, you take 2 or 3 out of the battle as they attend to the wounded soldier. Kill one and you only lose one. It may not sound like good logic, but that is the theory of fighting a war. We are not fighting a war with deer.
And most soldiers shot in war with a 5.56 are shot with an FMJ not a good soft point game bullet.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Thus far bullet recommendations have covered the gamut from copper solids, to pointed soft points, to ballistic tips (varmint bullets?). Who knows....
I've got some 60gr Nosler Partitions I'm going to try. If they group well I will try them on some deer this season.
They will work/kill just fine.

Not much "try" to it. Killed a slug of deer in a half assed urban area over a 3 or 4 season span with em.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

And most soldiers shot in war with a 5.56 are shot with an FMJ not a good soft point game bullet.

I can tell you once we switched to the 77 SMK in the early 2000’s that it was a game changer on putting folks on their ass. We weren’t concerned with wounding folks as much as killing them dead so they couldn’t make us dead.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I can tell you once we switched to the 77 SMK in the early 2000’s that it was a game changer on putting folks on their ass. We weren’t concerned with wounding folks as much as killing them dead so they couldn’t make us dead.
👍

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Since I live in VA and we can’t use 22 cal centerfires for deer, I will have to take out my much more powerful 300 blk bolt action ruger American ranch. It does very well with the 110 gr Barnes at 2350 fps.

But yes. I wish I could use a 223.

Last edited by vabowhntr; 08/28/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only time I would deer hunt with a 223/556 is if I had nothing else to use.

Will it work? I’m sure it would. However, I believe there are far better options.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It will with a good bullet, but much better tools out there. I’d like a 243 at minimum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, what Hanco said, with good designed bullets, it is decent. And of course the faster .22 centerfires are better than .223 is.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just finished up sighting in 3 rifles today for an upcoming pronghorn hunt .223, .223 AI, and 22-250. 88 eldm’s in the 223 AI, 75 gr Gold Dots in the .223 and 22-250. I’d shoot any deer or antelope that’s ever lived with any of the three.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by roverboy
Yeah, what Hanco said, with good designed bullets, it is decent. And of course the faster .22 centerfires are better than .223 is.

Faster can be a double edged sword, IMO. Proper bullet is key, but judging by this thread, there are many good ones out there. Still, you need the right twist for many and the standard 1-7/9 in a 223 vs a 1:14 in a 22-250 could be critical.

I like the 70 Speer semi-spitzer in my 223. Performance is the same from muzzle to 200 yards. Complete pass through and good expansion.

Page 6 of 26 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.