Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
I’ve recently ordered a BLR Lightweight PG in 308 WIN
Its not arriving for 3 months but I want to start figuring out what scope I should pair with this rifle now. I’ll be using it for deer hunting, I’m hoping to find a scope I can make a 50 - 200M shot with when hunting.
Any experience or advice you guys have about this gun and scopes would be amazing to me!
Cheers boys

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a 2x7 FFII on my BLR. If I was doing it again I’d put the 3x9 version on it. Mine is locked down with Warne vertical rings and bases. Pretty solid combo thru the years.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
warne rings and bases are fine i put this combo on my BLR ,i put a 1-6 x 24 Burris tactical scope called a RT-6 ,this scope has illumination sight ability for darker times . toughest scope i have ever owned matter fact i now have 4 of them ,this scope is not that expensive around $400.00 + or - a few bucks too its a 30 tube scope too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have an older BLR 81 with steel receiver and short action .308. It is a slim, trim rifle so to keep it balanced and yet capable to 300 yards a Leupold VX 2 2-7x33 mounted with Burris bases and rings works great.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Mine's a .358 that my dad bought new. It has the same setup on it that he used on all of his hunting rifles , a K2.5 steel Weaver on low steel tip off Weaver base and rings. I like the scope just fine but was never a fan of tip off anything. It works as is and it's how he left it so it will stay as is. If I was doing it to suit me I would have used the Leupold STD rings and mounts I use on most everything else. I like having the windage adjustment built into the mount.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
IC B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My .358 Stainless Take Down has a Burris 2.5x with a heavy duplex reticle which is about perfect for my hunting style. My 7mm08 pistol grip has a Leupold 2.5-8 Vari X III with standard duplex. I had 3-9x40 on both of them but, prefer how they are set up now because of balance and weight.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a K3 Weaver on my 358 Win BLR and it was nearly perfect IMO.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a BLR LW PG in .358 and a BLR LW '81 in .308. I wanted to keep them light, and have a scope with good light transmission, and good FOV for thick woods. I went with the Leupold FX-II 2.5X on both. I used Talley steel bases and vertically split rings. The set ups work well.

If you think you might want to use the iron sights occassionally, you may need to go with a Weaver type base that has a groove down the center, or get some see-thru rings. The iron sights on these rifles are so low that its is difficult to see them over the Talley scope bases. Warnes may be a little lower, but I've read there may be a fit issue with some BLR receivers. The Talleys fit perfectly.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/29/22.
M
OP Offline
M
That BLR is gorgeous mate.
I didn’t know you could still use the iron sights with a scope. Have you ever used a blr with a weaver set up that allows that?
Can you still get a good cheek weld with that? Or would you also need to look into getting a cheek riser to pair with it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Leupold 2-7x33 in Leupold bases/rings on my .358 Win. I've tagged deer out to 200 yards with it no problem.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My early Japanese BLR, bought used in 1974, still wears the Leupold M8 4X in Leupold base and rings. Never lost an animal. Never needed or wanted more power.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Melbhunter
That BLR is gorgeous mate.
I didn’t know you could still use the iron sights with a scope. Have you ever used a blr with a weaver set up that allows that?
Can you still get a good cheek weld with that? Or would you also need to look into getting a cheek riser to pair with it?

The mounts on my BLR are quick detachable Talley rings on Talley bases. Those rings come with screws with levers and with screws without levers. I chose to use the screws without levers. Naturally, If I wanted to use the sights, I'd have to remove the scope and look over the bases. The bases are high enough that I can only see the top half of the rear sight notch. So its doable, but not ideal. (Note, when I took the above photos, the gun was brand new and the scope and bases were only loosely attached as I was still rying to figure out what I wanted to do. The bases in the picture are backwards. There is a recoil lug at either end of each base, one thick and one thin. The thick recoil lug goes forward, not that it much matters.)

No, I've never used a BLR with a weaver style base, and not even sure one is made, but I think there is. I brought it up because weaver bases are generally pretty low, and sometimes have a U channel down the center making it easier to see iron sights. You could use some kind of quick detach rings on a Weaver base and then have the option to use the scope, or take it off and use the irons. Just a thought.

I know some people use see-through mounts on BLRs so you can look under the scope and see the sights, or raise your face a little and see through the scope. Those are kind of ugly and change your cheek weld a bit, but not enough to really need a riser. It's kind of an old school solution to preserve the ability to use the iron sights with the scope still on the gun. I think Leupold still makes these. Again, just a thought.

One thing not mentioned: the aluminum receiver lightweight BLRs are drilled and tapped for scope bases and the screw holes are steel lined. Before I mounted my scope, I called Browning to see what the maximum screw torque was when mounting bases. Browning says NO MORE THAN 18 inch pounds. The guy I spoke to said on his personal gun he used 12 inch pounds and it was fine. I decided to use 15 inch pounds on mine, along with blue Locktite, and they have stayed nice and solid.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/29/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I have a BLR LW PG in .358 and a BLR LW '81 in .308. I wanted to keep them light, and have a scope with good light transmission, and good FOV for thick woods. I went with the Leupold FX-II 2.5X on both. I used Talley steel bases and vertically split rings. The set ups work well.

If you think you might want to use the iron sights occassionally, you may need to go with a Weaver type base that has a groove down the center, or get some see-thru rings. The iron sights on these rifles are so low that its is difficult to see them over the Talley scope bases. Warnes may be a little lower, but I've read there may be a fit issue with some BLR receivers. The Talleys fit perfectly.

Melbhuntr, I just went through this process on two new BLR's myself. The only setup that looked "right" on them was this one posted by 10Glocks. I tried a 2-7x32 Leupold VXII, a 2.5-8x33, a FX-2.5, and VX-3i 1.5-5. I kept the 2.5 on one rifle and the 1.5-5 on the other. Anything with an objective diameter bigger than the 1" tube just started to look overpowering on such a trim rifle.
Here's a video with a guy showing how he had a scope base machined out with a slot so you could see the rear sight. I haven't found any bases that are low enough or have enough of a groove to truly use the rear sight properly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10Glocks, can you provide a link to the specific Talley bases that you have there? I can't seem to find them on the Talley website.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
These

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/steel-base-for-browning-bar-blr-bpr/

I think my bases are actually Browning branded Talleys, IIRC. Same bases as above. I got them pretty quickly from Browning.

https://www.browning.com/products/s...rings-bases/two-piece-bases-blr-bar.html

Don't worry if the images don't match. The Browning-branded Talleys and the Talleys are indistiguishable from one another.

Note that you can only use Talley rings on the Tally bases.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/30/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Anything with an objective diameter bigger than the 1" tube just started to look overpowering on such a trim rifle.

I agree. It keeps it light, too. This one, a .308 BLR '81 Lightweight, with a sling, is just a couple ounces over 7 lbs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, 10Glocks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use Talley steel QD bases and rings. Leupold VX-2 with custom Post and Duplex reticle that I got here on the fire on my Pre '81 .358 Win. The smaller scopes just look 'right' to me. On a .308 I'd go 2-7x32/33 or 2.5-8x36.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
M
M
I put a 2x7x33 Redfield on my BLR 308 with Leupold bases and rings. I agree with others that the smaller scopes fit the rifle well.

Last edited by Magpie18; 09/08/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
on my favorite BLR rifle its a take down 30-06 i now have a 1-6x24 30 tube Burris Tactical RT-6 illuminated. this scope was around $400.00 and with forever warranty.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,282 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.