Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Another very clean 10-7. Don’t $hit yourselves but it’ll be spending a few days hunting deer this year probably. And yes with 158 LRN’s grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Very clean looking Model 10

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Nice revolver, though I can't imagine why I'd pick a LRN.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54

Not a good bullet choice in my opinion.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice. Love a skinny barrel on a Model 10.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I spent half my law enforcement career carrying a .38 Special, and half of that time resenting the fact that we were required to carry 158 gr. RNL as duty loads. Finally they allowed +P JHP's and eventually we went to .40 S&W Sigs.

Now that I am old, I just love the .38 Special and think that the old 158 gr. RNL is just the perfect thing to shoot out of one. Must be a nostalgia thing. I have also thought of shooting a deer with it, just for old time's sake. I would shoot a nice doe behind the shoulder from 25 or 30 yards away, and I'll bet I would be cutting up a deer that evening.

It wouldn't be an ideal gun and cartridge combo for deer, but it would kill one as humanely as an arrow, if you put it in the right place. I would treat that .38 as if it were a bow, and go kill a deer.

I was a game warden and probably did kill 100 deer with a .38, so I know that the bullets do not bounce off.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/29/22.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I spent half my law enforcement career carrying a .38 Special, and half of that time resenting the fact that we were required to carry 158 gr. RNL as duty loads. Finally they allowed +P JHP's and eventually we went to .40 S&W Sigs.

Now that I am old, I just love the .38 Special and think that the old 158 gr. RNL is just the perfect thing to shoot out of one. Must be a nostalgia thing. I have also thought of shooting a deer with it, just for old time's sake. I would shoot a nice doe behind the shoulder from 25 or 30 yards away, and I'll bet I would be cutting up a deer that evening.

It wouldn't be an ideal gun and cartridge combo for deer, but it would kill one as humanely as an arrow, if you put it in the right place. I would treat that .38 as if it were a bow, and go kill a deer.

As humanely as an arrow? A 158 gr. .38 Special lead round nose. You don't bowhunt, do you?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

As humanely as an arrow? A 158 gr. .38 Special lead round nose. You don't bowhunt, do you?

Yup, and I was a game warden and probably killed 100 deer with a .38 during my career. The bullets do not bounce off. The last deer I shot with my crossbow ran about 70 yards after a double lung hit with a Rage broadhead. I would expect a deer well hit with a .38 to be dead within 100 yards.

Saw quite a few deer taken with .22 LR as well. Neither the .22 nor the .38 are ideal, but they do kill deer if you hit them right.

When you get to animals bigger than deer, the equation tilts much more towards the bow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smallfry
Another very clean 10-7. Don’t $hit yourselves but it’ll be spending a few days hunting deer this year probably. And yes with 158 LRN’s grin

Congrats - hope ya' smack a big 'un with it. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How is it that the game warden shoots 100 deer with a .38 Special? Did those 158 LRN exit?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
How is it that the game warden shoots 100 deer with a .38 Special? Did those 158 LRN exit?

Deer that are injured by cars, dogs and fences. Some of them are immobile and can be shot in the head. Others are still able to move and you take the shot that is presented. I remember one deer that had both rear legs broken in a fence. It could still run on the stumps of its legs faster than I could run. It was a pitiful thing to see. I took a shot at it and made a lucky hit and dropped it from about 40 yards...with a .38.

I did carry a .357 for about 4 years before we got semiautos and it definitely hit them with more authority, and the .40 worked about as well as the .357.

Please don't misunderstand me. When I said that a .38 is capable of taking a deer as humanely as a bow, I did not say that it kills identically to an arrow. My definition of "humanely" is that the deer does not suffer unduly and is recovered within a reasonable distance. The .38 with the 158 gr. RNL was not known as a fight stopper, but a lot of those people who were not "stopped" were dead within a minute or so after being shot.

The most important factor in killing is where the projectile hits, followed by penetration. All of the other details about the characteristics of the projectile are down the list from there.

And, yes, most of the .38 slugs, both RNL and JHP, did exit.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I shoot round nose bullets out of my auto pistols for practice. Never had a problem with it.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I imagine those deer were measured in feet putting them out of their misery. I have no problem using a .38 Spcl for deer but there are better bullets than an all lead RN. A Keith style bullet or WFN LBT style would be my preference in a lead bullet

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
👌👍Congratulations, I am glad that after over 40 years someone is going to put it to good use.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
A much better choice in a bullet would be the 173 grain Keith SWC hardcast.. I just tested one today in 20% ballistic gel (not the 10% used by the FBI) And it penetrated about 30" which would be about 64" in 10%
I don't that lead round nose would penetrate more than about 10" in 20%

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by pacecars
I imagine those deer were measured in feet putting them out of their misery. I have no problem using a .38 Spcl for deer but there are better bullets than an all lead RN. A Keith style bullet or WFN LBT style would be my preference in a lead bullet

Most, but not all. Some were still moving and some were in inaccessible areas. I would prefer a Keith or LBT also, but the OP, for whatever reason, wants to use an RNL. Please understand that I am not recommending the RNL; I am simply saying that if the OP uses it properly, he will have venison in the freezer.

As a young pup at the beginning of my career, I did quite a bit of "corpse shooting" on dead deer, to see what my revolver bullets would do from various angles. I also shot up every abandoned refrigerator and old Studebaker that was dumped in the woods. I can testify that the .38 was much more impressive on deer bodies than it was on car bodies.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I shoot round nose bullets out of my auto pistols for practice. Never had a problem with it.

Are you hunting deer with those round nose bullets? That's what the OP intends to do, if you read his post.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by jwp475
A much better choice in a bullet would be the 173 grain Keith SWC hardcast.. I just tested one today in 20% ballistic gel (not the 10% used by the FBI) And it penetrated about 30" which would be about 64" in 10%

173's are wonderful bullets. Heck a 158gr SWC is a great bullet too.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by smallfry

Congrats - hope ya' smack a big 'un with it. smile
Thanks skeen!

Originally Posted by jwp475
jwp475 I’ve taken two deer with the 38 and one was a 170 gr Keith.

Don’t get all excited guys, the 158 LRNs will be going over 700 fps grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a plan. All ya gotta do is hit them with a car first, tangle them in a fence to keep them from running off and walk up and plug them. Drink a cup of coffee while you wait for the kicking around to stop and there you have it - dead deer. Congrat's! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
575 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.