Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
seeker Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I can't find anything to go in the firehole to clean out the primer residue.
Everything is too big. I have been reduced to using a small allen wrench and a sewing needle to push thru to make sure the hole is open.

This feels not very satisfactory. I have bought breech plug cleaners from Midwayusa that were all too big for the firehole.

Ultimately, I am afraid of a buildup that clogs things up. I have been using BH209 and BH209 cleaner but just can't find anything small
enough to scrub the hole.

Any ideas appreciated.

thanks
Seeker

BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I start with a 3/32 bit then go to a 1/8. Finish up with a pipe cleaner and Hoppes #9

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get you a set of cutting torch tip cleaners. You’ll need to be careful with them as they will remove metal so go easy. Windex is one of the best black powder and muzzleloader cleaners there is. It’s designed to evaporate fast. It’s easy to patch dry with air movement. Oil after cleaning with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Herain-Carbu...amp;hvtargid=pla-1497937776687&psc=1

Good luck,

Todd

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You must never have cleaned it the way Western has advised on their website if only a needle fits. The T/C plug flash channels are 1/8". Shoving a torch tip through the fire hole erodes the hole that much faster. A simple piece of smooth wire is all that is needed for the flash hole. The flash hole grows each shot because of erosion. The flash channel shrinks because of carbon build up............Dont confuse the 2.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A 1/8" bit turned by hand and a nipple pick is all you need. Make yourself one of these.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Overkill45
You must never have cleaned it the way Western has advised on their website if only a needle fits. The T/C plug flash channels are 1/8". Shoving a torch tip through the fire hole erodes the hole that much faster. A simple piece of smooth wire is all that is needed for the flash hole. The flash hole grows each shot because of erosion. The flash channel shrinks because of carbon build up............Dont confuse the 2.

A person would have to have heavy handed to start removing metal with torch cleaning pins. They come as set form small to big. Start with the smallest and work up until you find one that just barely fits

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Pin vice is cheap. Just chuck the bit up in a pin vice or better yet. Buy hex head drill bits and store 2 of them in your screw driver kit. Thats about $20 total for the Wheeler screw driver set and a 4 pack of hex head bits.

There is NO NEED to mess with the flash hole. It erodes each shot. Its easy to prove because breech plugs wear out all the time. If you cram some crud into the hole while cleaning the channel its simple just to poke it out even with a piece of copper wire. If you really want to use something on the hole, get a .035 pin gauge so you know then the plug or vent liner is wasted. If it goes in then its time for a new one.

S
seeker Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
thanks guys. A lot of good information here that I will follow up on and use.

thank you very much. I really appreciate everybody's response.

Seeker

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by seeker
thanks guys. A lot of good information here that I will follow up on and use.

thank you very much. I really appreciate everybody's response.

Seeker
Go to Westerns BH209 website. There is a pic of a bit in a pin vice.
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/breech-plug-cleaning/

A hex shank drill bit works just as well with a Wheeler Screwdriver kit. Its under $15 and a set of bits will run you $5-10 at places like Lowes. I got mine at Sears Hardware store in a 4pack.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007360766

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use automotive brake cleaner.

Seems to work very well.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a torch tip cleaner and then Chlorine free brake cleaner.
The tip cleaner set has about 12 different sizes, they are like tiny files.

Last edited by TBREW401; 08/30/22.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by TBREW401
I have a torch tip cleaner and then Chlorine free brake cleaner.
The tip cleaner set has about 12 different sizes, they are like tiny files.

And how does that clean a flash channel? Drill bit takes seconds.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I clean the flash hole with a piece of 40 lb monofilament fishing line. Thread it through the flash hole and tie one end to something secure. While holding the loose end slide the breach plug back and forth over the line. Works for me.

J
JD7 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
That’s pretty slick I’ll have to try that next time

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Soak in brake cleaner overnight then use compressed air to blow everything out. No need for ANY drill bit.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What tomme said works great.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Overkill, it cleans very well, and its easy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A good substitute for a nipple pick is a short section of brass-wound acoustic guitar string. The core is a single straight steel wire that's about the same diameter as a nipple pick and will fit through the flash hole. There's typically a few inches of the single strand on the end of the string that gets cut off and discarded once the string is installed along with a few inches of the brass wound string. If you get the top e-string (the thickest one), the wound part is just the right diameter to fit in the flash channel and since it's wound it will scrape the inside of the flash channel and clean out any crud.

So if you know someone with a guitar or can visit a local guitar shop they will be able to hook you up.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Torch tip cleaners work for me. Also, the diagram of the drill bit that was posted above. 👍🏼

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy a small ultrasonic cleaner. They cost about $25-30 bucks.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
428 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.