Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Everyone who has ever driven off pavement and ended up stuck, which likely is 99% of folks reading this, absolutely needs to watch the video below.

It goes into the dangers of the forces of pulling out stuck trucks like many of us drive.

Watching this video sent a chill down my spine as I have done exactly what this unfortunate man did, using a cheap Chinese type tow strap (I bought mine at Tractor Supply because it was cheap :hammer:) looped over a ball hitch and hit the gas pedal to pull a truck out.

After my wife sent me this video, I started going down the rabbit hole of the forces at work and the load numbers on the equipment are surprisingly high, especially when pulling out the diesel 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. A diesel pickup with a load of feed/corn, ice chests, fuel, and people can easily weigh 10,000 - 12,000 on up to 15,000 pounds, if really loaded up. Stuck in the mud doubles that number to over 20,000# pounds of force needed to pull it out. Add a heavy load in the bed and/or a trailer and the numbers can jump to 30,000+ pounds. I have pulled out a F250 that had the bed loaded and towing a trailer full of feed stuck in the mud with a cheap Chinese tow strap on the ball hitch. Looking back, I got lucky.

Here is a good website with some very basic introductory type tutorials. They also offer an app for phones for $10 that will help calculate load forces and thus help the stuck person figure out what type and rating of equipment is needed to do the job safely..

https://www.safe-xtract.com

Yes, I am still alive after doing it the half-assed full redneck way, but after reading this story and digging into it, this type of bad outcome is more common than we might think.

One of my relatives manufactures heavy duty axles for the off-road crowd. He has seen tow and winch lines break three times, one of the times cutting off a person's leg as he watched from afar.

Guys, this is a danger we can very easily minimize with a small bit of time and effort to inform ourselves. Please do yourself a favor and spend just a bit of time looking into and buying the proper equipment.

Another point - many believe that putting a "dampener" or "winch blanket" over a line will make it safe. There are some excellent videos on YouTube testing these devices and they do absolutely nothing - zero - to slow down a broken winch or tow line. They have absolutely no effect, so do not lull yourself into thinking that using one will save you, it won't.

Is this type of gear overkill? I think about my relative watching as a person's leg was cut off by a line breaking or that image below with a tow hitch through the windshield. That could be any of us.

A bit too much safety factor in equipment is better than coming up just a wee bit too short and having a catastrophic failure. Say you spend $500 to $1000, that is less than the deductible on the ER visit and a doc is not going to sew a leg back on or put a bandaid over a trailer hitch in the head. The gear will last many, many years and is something that if needed, needs to work right - and safely.

Hope that helps someone. Please watch this video.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A trailer ball is a high risk hook point.
Some years ago here, a guy put a trailer behind his car and went up in the hills to cut firewood. When he was full, he tried to cross a small creek and buried it. A guy with a pickup had a recovery strap and tried to help pull him out. He tied the strap to a tow hook on the front of his pickup but there was nothing to hook to on the car so they wrapped it around the front bumper. When he hit the end of the strap, it pulled the bumper clear off the car and threw it through the pickup windshield, killing the driver.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He said that a grade 8 bolt isn't as strong as a 5/8" hitch pin. Etrailer.com says that a grade 8 bolt has a shear strength of 90k, the same as a 5/8 hitch pin. However, it's harder and more likely to break as it won't flex like a real hitch pin. It will also be more likely to egg out the pin hole in the hitch.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
He said that a grade 8 bolt isn't as strong as a 5/8" hitch pin. Etrailer.com says that a grade 8 bolt has a shear strength of 90k, the same as a 5/8 hitch pin. However, it's harder and more likely to break as it won't flex like a real hitch pin. It will also be more likely to egg out the pin hole in the hitch.

Yep, there is a lot of conflicting information out there and lots of calculations that in reality in field conditions are far less than precise. After digging through online technical writings some patterns seem consistent and some are inconsistent.

Are there any differences in the quality of pins? Are there any higher rated hitch pins? So far, none seem to have ratings that I can find, so I wonder if they all are from the same Chinese factory, just some are shinier than others.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
People have been known to hook a tow strap to the loops for the safety chains. Have you looked at most of those? They're pathetically weak. I don't know how they hold a trailer that comes unhitched. The strongest way is to get that soft clevis around the hitch cross bar although that isn't always possible and it might expose the fabric to a sharp edge.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some pintle hooks use a trailer ball so a regular ball hitch trailer can be towed. That takes you back to the strength of the ball which is part of the original problem.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We came across a tree that fell across the road. No saw, so I shot through it with the M1 Garand, then tied the winch cable to it to break it in 2. Putting a coat or some dampener on the cable will save the snap back into the vehicle...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
RC,

what do you think about this? 36,000# rating per etrailer.com, but it says 40 tons on the face of it. Forged as one piece.

https://www.etrailer.com/Pintle-Hitch/Brophy/BR27FR.html

[Linked Image from images.etrailer.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One of the things that really bothers me about this incident is that it appears that there was no attempt made to dig the vehicle out to reduce the suction and resistance of the mud. That is the very first thing I would have done.
The presenter is probably correct about all of the equipment and its engineering limitations but no one seems to have made the initial effort.

Bad things happen and I'm glad it wasn't me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jeffbird
RC,

what do you think about this? 36,000# rating per etrailer.com, but it says 40 tons on the face of it. Forged as one piece.

https://www.etrailer.com/Pintle-Hitch/Brophy/BR27FR.html

[Linked Image from images.etrailer.com]
that one should do the job. It's that trailer ball setup that has it's weak point. It's made for towing a trailer of a given weight, not for heavy duty winching.

So much comes down to the hitch pin. No matter how big and strong the hitch, pintle, or the ball mount is, the pin is the go-between. Those things are amazingly strong for their size.

― George Orwell

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's dangerous to put a strap on a tow ball to snatch with, but you won't shear a trailer ball off by doing so. I've bent hitches, truck frames, stretched chains so tight the links can't swivel. A diesel truck with a 15k lb Warn wench and a snatch block can pull about anything out.
My condolences to the family that really sucks.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow. I bet he saw it coming to.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Might have had time to blink. Good video…I’ve made some of those mistakes but got lucky.

I’ve seen a 3” nylon hawser part and it was spectacular. Fortunately all the line handlers got away when the line started “singing”. Sounded like a rifle when it let go.

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/30/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Shrapnel,

very creative way to remove a log.

Coats, winch blankets, and dampeners in general appear to do little to nothing.

This video seems well done and informative.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm. Ford 9000, Prentice Loader, empty one way/loaded the other.

All drives chained with mud chains,
axle deep in mud, or too steep/muddy to climb/decend.
Hooked to a big dam cable skidder and drug.

Might have been around a Big Hook a couple times when setting up a wreck. Wanna talk about forces and cable tension that makes your
nuts crawl up inside?

Forces with a pickup!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Anyone getting hurt is no joke.

Guys obsessed with their "BIG DIESEL" aren't just hilarious, many are
pathetic.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 08/30/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Synthetics stretch quite a bit. Synthetic line snap back is very real. https://priceonomics.com/a-history-of-tug-of-war-fatalities/

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Digging around found this hitch.

Anyone have a better suggestion for pulling out 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, maybe with a trailer attached?

https://www.etrailer.com/p-ED25SHACKLE.html

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A chain won’t snap back when broken, but winches only use wire rope or synthetic cable which will snap back.

Back in the 1980’s or 90’s at Fort Carson Army base a tank broke down while “down range “.

A crew of soldiers went down to recover it. They set up to winch it onto a (low boy???) trailer. It was bitching cold so the whole crew sat in the truck cab while winching, in violation of the rules.

The cable snapped, cut off the top of truck, along with the heads of everybody in the cab.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Digging around found this hitch.

Anyone have a better suggestion for pulling out 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, maybe with a trailer attached?

https://www.etrailer.com/p-ED25SHACKLE.html

Sturdy! What do you think would be the first thing to break on a truck pulling on this?

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Wow, very tragic story DD. Sad that it could have been so easily avoided.

To your question, guessing the attachment/recovery point on the stuck vehicle probably will be the weakest link by the time I put my package together.

Digging into the subject, my conclusion is recoveries are just dangerous no matter what is used and any of the equipment can fail. The heavier the vehicle, the more the dangers increase. It appears dangers can be reduced, but never eliminated.

Even chains can snap and recoil too. See this video beginning at 3:58. 10’ of chain go through the rear window.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (1lesfox, 22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,327
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.