-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been a long time since I loaded for a G22, but I had no troubles with it. It wasn't accurate enough to suit me but it ran 100%.

What I DO recall about the .40 is that if the bullet sets back in feeding, pressure goes up rapidly, and it does not take a lot of setback to cause significant pressure rise.

Dave Scovil of Handloader discussed this topic, and while he was interested in the accuracy of .45 Colt loads, the same lesson applies I think to autoloaders. You want a tight fit of bullet to case, and the expander plug should be at least .005" smaller than the bullet diameter, AND firmly taper crimp. When you are done, you should be able to press the cartridge firmly against a solid object, bullet first, and the cartridge OAL should not change more than a couple thousandths.

Possibly the OP had some setback, combined with less than optimum cases, and less than optimum case support.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
It's been a long time since I loaded for a G22, but I had no troubles with it. It wasn't accurate enough to suit me but it ran 100%.

What I DO recall about the .40 is that if the bullet sets back in feeding, pressure goes up rapidly, and it does not take a lot of setback to cause significant pressure rise.

Dave Scovil of Handloader discussed this topic, and while he was interested in the accuracy of .45 Colt loads, the same lesson applies I think to autoloaders. You want a tight fit of bullet to case, and the expander plug should be at least .005" smaller than the bullet diameter, AND firmly taper crimp. When you are done, you should be able to press the cartridge firmly against a solid object, bullet first, and the cartridge OAL should not change more than a couple thousandths.

Possibly the OP had some setback, combined with less than optimum cases, and less than optimum case support.

A lot of things are "possible".

Working with facts and not possible/guesses is how you make improvements or reduce risks.

Every cartridge will have internal pressure rise when there is bullet setback and reduced internal capacity. That is not exclusive to .40 S&W or any other cartridge.

Going back to square one, loading wise, as mentioned earlier in the thread and inspecting your reloading procedure and equipment is generally a good starting point. Making sure the rounds are being produced with clean equipment is part of that procedure. Inspecting the firearm and brass may tell you other things.

The fact is that unless a person has the actual firearm as well as the brass at hand, trying to determine a cause as to why what happened, happened, it is pointless, and people are just making unsubstantiated guesses. Usually those are based off of "I read this".

I have read a fair number of articles by guys in magazines/online articles and I will say that a substantial amount of them are either completely making crap up, or they are cut and pasting their "expertise" from somewhere else and a good bit of it is simply wrong. That information then gets repeated on online forums. "Joe gunwriter says that .44 Magnums are not lethal past 75 yards, and you can't hit anything with a handgun at 100 yards".

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A lot of things are "possible".

Working with facts and not possible/guesses is how you make improvements or reduce risks.

Every cartridge will have internal pressure rise when there is bullet setback and reduced internal capacity. That is not exclusive to .40 S&W or any other cartridge.

Going back to square one, loading wise, as mentioned earlier in the thread and inspecting your reloading procedure and equipment is generally a good starting point. Making sure the rounds are being produced with clean equipment is part of that procedure. Inspecting the firearm and brass may tell you other things.

The fact is that unless a person has the actual firearm as well as the brass at hand, trying to determine a cause as to why what happened, happened, it is pointless, and people are just making unsubstantiated guesses. Usually those are based off of "I read this".

I have read a fair number of articles by guys in magazines/online articles and I will say that a substantial amount of them are either completely making crap up, or they are cut and pasting their "expertise" from somewhere else and a good bit of it is simply wrong. That information then gets repeated on online forums. "Joe gunwriter says that .44 Magnums are not lethal past 75 yards, and you can't hit anything with a handgun at 100 yards".

Agreed 100% - one point about setback is, it should be fairly consistent in a given batch of loads. If the OP still has some of the loads in question, they can be checked for setback, just cycling through the action without firing.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I haven't been on this thread for a while. I see there have been many attempts to find cause based on any number of reasons. A few comments if I may. I worked for a large police department for over 20 years. I was factory trained Glock armored. I have fired over 30,000 rounds thru Glock pistols. I've never seen a situation like mine before either.
My loads were with virgin factory primed Federal cases. I weighed EVERY charge on my very accurate digital scale (.01 grain accuracy). I used coated bullets that were designed for this use. There was/is no leading in the barrel. I loaded enough to test fire 3 full magazines and a 100 rounds for my use. I had not fired a single loaded round since this initial testing back in April. The gun let go on the second round from this magazine. I had a 20 pound Wolff spring in it. On closer inspection the frame is cracked from the mag release through the trigger guard. I'll send it back to Glock for a new frame. I'm not sure what went wrong. Maybe all my loads were too hot and this was inevitable.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Originally Posted by McInnis
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Sounds like a well thought out plan. Having only a Swiss Army really adds to the level of brilliance.

I hate posts like this. Someone comes here to share information that’s of interest to us all, and gets a snarky smarta$$ reply like this.

Kind of like "I offered $50 to a ho in the southside of Chicago for a BJ, but when I finished I only gave her $20. I got my ass beat and was almost shot by her pimp."

McInnis be like "Thanks for the useful info, I hate that your WELL thought out plan didn't work"

The only useful info in the OP's post is that he was an ill prepared idiot.
STFU for once in your useless life. You offer nothing to this forum

Last edited by gunchamp; 10/05/22.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’m just glad you weren’t eyeballing a Griz at the time😊

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 35 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.