Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EFW,
One of my go to pike rods is a St Croix Triumph 7' medium action casting rod. I like it.
M/H would be good for heavy baits. I choose my rod weights by the size of the bait I throw.
95% of the time I am throwing a 3/8oz spinner bait or a large spoon that weight 7/8 of n ounce or less.
For large plugs or bucktails the M/H would be a better choice than the Medium

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I posted a similar question earlier this spring and the brain trust here steered me toward the Shimano Calcuta 201DC. I used it on a northern Ontario fishing trip in June, and while I didn't tie into anything over 30", it handled it well. I'm still no expert at the baitcasting game, for me I guess part of the skill is in untangling birdsnests. laugh

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
I posted a similar question earlier this spring and the brain trust here steered me toward the Shimano Calcuta 201DC. I used it on a northern Ontario fishing trip in June, and while I didn't tie into anything over 30", it handled it well. I'm still no expert at the baitcasting game, for me I guess part of the skill is in untangling birdsnests. laugh

Your Calcutta has a centrifugal braking system, the magnetic brakes are much more forgiving for a novice.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The DC, according to Shimano, is "Digitally Controlled braking that allows anglers to externally adjust the brakes which measure and control the spool rotation with a microcomputer every 1/1000 of a second. Shimano’s DC system for digitally controlling the speed of the spool every nano-second of the cast gives even the most novice anglers a much more enjoyable experience with a baitcaster.". The spool has a winding in it that produces electricity that controls the braking. Not sure exactly how it works, but it makes a unique whine when you cast it.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
The DC, according to Shimano, is "Digitally Controlled braking that allows anglers to externally adjust the brakes which measure and control the spool rotation with a microcomputer every 1/1000 of a second. Shimano’s DC system for digitally controlling the speed of the spool every nano-second of the cast gives even the most novice anglers a much more enjoyable experience with a baitcaster.". The spool has a winding in it that produces electricity that controls the braking. Not sure exactly how it works, but it makes a unique whine when you cast it.

Ooops, my mistake. I have heard of them but never used or seen one. Sounds.... well , complicated... smile

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not much different than a standard baitcaster...............a tension adjustment and brake setting. But even with the fancy schmancy brake controller, thumb skill is still required. I you wind up for a long cast and throw it in the drink 10' in front of you, that brake won't do anything to prevent a high quality birdsnest! BTDT. I will say I can cast it much better than an older Riobi magnetic brake reel I have. FWIW, I chose a left hand crank because I'm a life long spin fisher and wanted to keep it similar.

Charter Member

szihn

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.