Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I boughr several spools of 12 and 14ga automotive type wire (stranded) and have had a bunch of gailures at the connections. I've tried solder and shrink type crimp on connectors with poor luck.

Where can a guy buy good ol copper wire like it was 1999 again?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe buy marine wire? It's pre-tinned to fight corrosion, but it's spendy.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Use what you got wire wise, and just buy a tube of dielectric grease and use it liberally at your junction points. That will stop it unless you have a chlorine gas environment, like in a battery compartment on a salt water boat.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Use NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL. It works better than anything else. Period. When used correctly, it stops all corrosion.

https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Spe...amp;hvtargid=pla-1297861078935&psc=1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Junk the butt connectors they never grab right. Learn how make a good butt connection of the 2 stranded ends then direct solder, seal with heat shrink tubing. If you are actually getting corrosion failure instead of mechanical joint failure then this stuff is the ticket

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Used this stuff on radio antennas connections to seal them. Bitch to get off.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Geno67
Use NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL. It works better than anything else. Period. When used correctly, it stops all corrosion.

You may want to wear a hazmat suit when using this stuff. It tends to get EVERYWHERE!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heat shrink should be adhesive lined (3:1 minimum)

The 2:1 stuff is not adhesive lined.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Looks like a great preventive maintenance product, but not effective as a corrective measure. The description of its uses makes no mention of corrosion removal---just prevention.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've tried de-ox and solder. It always fails at the edge of the connection with a white powder where wire was.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
I've tried de-ox and solder. It always fails at the edge of the connection with a white powder where wire was.

Could be the solder you're using. Can you show a link to the exact product? The de-ox, too.

Last edited by RiverRider; 08/31/22.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler

You may want to wear a hazmat suit when using this stuff. It tends to get EVERYWHERE!

Sounds like Never Seize. One dab and it will be in or on everything.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Maybe buy marine wire? It's pre-tinned to fight corrosion, but it's spendy.

This. Get tinned wire.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Copper on a boat turns green, tinned copper is way better because it turns gray/green...

Crimped terminals with the integral heat shrink aren't the only solution...there's a tradeoff between a decent crimp and electrical connection, and the hole you put in the heat shrink sleeve resulting from applying said good crimp.

Anymore I'm in the bare tinned terminal, electrical solder and black adhesive lined heat shrink camp for vehicles and boats. Get rosin-core solder meant for tinning electrical connections, and one of the pistol-shaped solder irons of healthy wattage. Also get a good set of crimps for bare terminals. It's easy to splice wire-to-wire or wire-to-tinned-terminal that way.

Any terminal block or other location of exposed wire and terminals on a boat gets painted with LPS-3 or CRC-400 after install. That helps a bunch. I stumbled into a gallon of LPS-3 locally for 12 bucks a few years back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Use what you got wire wise, and just buy a tube of dielectric grease and use it liberally at your junction points. That will stop it unless you have a chlorine gas environment, like in a battery compartment on a salt water boat.
I started using dielectric grease on tune ups a couple years ago, now use it on everything. Good stuff

Romans 5:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Junk the butt connectors they never grab right. Learn how make a good butt connection of the 2 stranded ends then direct solder, seal with heat shrink tubing. If you are actually getting corrosion failure instead of mechanical joint failure then this stuff is the ticket

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Used this stuff on radio antennas connections to seal them. Bitch to get off.

A few wraps of electrical tape first makes all the difference

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When stranded wires are soldered some of the flux in the solder will wick up the strands under the insulation. Flux is made in many different formulations and some of them are not suitable for splicing wires because they remain chemically active and corrode the wire under the insulation over time. When you select solder for electrical/electronic work you're basically selecting the flux which is integral to the solder. Other than that, you select the tin/lead ratio which is less important...but I would recommend 63/37 for common electrical purposes. The flux type should be R0L0 for soldering wires.

Don't be the darkness.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

Dielectric means non-conductive grease, use conductive grease and it will protect better.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I started using dielectric grease on tune ups a couple years ago, now use it on everything. Good stuff

What did you use it for? About all it's good for is spark plug and distributor boots.

Last edited by victoro; 08/31/22.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

I used NO-OX-ID for 20 years on battery backup systems, ground connections and battery connections. The NO-OX-ID we used was a thick grease that came in a tube. The battery backup systems lasted for many decades. It's a conductive grease and it will prevent all corrosion. I still use it today on my vehicles and on other electrical connections.

Last edited by victoro; 08/31/22.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.