Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
There is a new in box Zastava 375 H&H on Guns International.

I'm not very knowledgeable on these. It seems like a fairly "unrefined" Mauser. From the photos, the fit and finish aren't great but......

I kind of view it as a "what it could be" sort of rifle. A bit of filing and sanding to refine the stock. Re-do the cross bolts and fill the mortis with a nice wood plug. Glass bed etc.

The question is, is there a silk purse to be had in this sow's ear?

Price seems a bit high for a project gun at $1500.

What say you?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The price is way high considering they were half that 2 years ago. They are a commercial 98. All the Mauser features are.there and they simply need the hand of one who knows what he is doing to be reborn as an excellent hunting rifle.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Price seems high, but what isn't right now? They're selling for that on Gunbroker so I'd say the question is are you willing to wait for a bargain or want it now?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/937412606
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/941721880

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Kinda high IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bluefish
The price is way high considering they were half that 2 years ago. They are a commercial 98. All the Mauser features are.there and they simply need the hand of one who knows what he is doing to be reborn as an excellent hunting rifle.
That's it right there.

Hiding inside those rifles is a nice hunting rifle - all steel and Mausery with some nice features but it takes real sweat equity and sandpaper and maybe some files to find it.

Do a search on this forum for "Zastava" going back 8 to 10 years ago. A bunch of us went in on a group buy of left hand Zastava 70's at that time and there are a bunch of posts on what we found. Based on what I've seen on gun racks over the intervening years those comments are still valid.

10 years ago they were just over $500 and considered a bargain compared to prices asked for Winchester Model 70's, especially since the Winchesters were already commanding a huge premium in the early 2010's. $1500 seems high knowing how rough it will be but it can be made into a very nice rifle, so it would depend on how much you wanted one.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
To be clear, this is a "that could be an interesting and fun project" situation.

I have no real need. I also regret not picking up a lefty CZ 375 when it could have been had for $1500 and that is in the back of mind here.

I'm very good at dragging my feet and overthinking things like this.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You can get one in 9.3x62 on GB as well and have a very good heavy game.rifle.

The way life should be.
O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
You can get one in 9.3x62 on GB as well and have a very good heavy game.rifle.

Quit! I'm beggin ya!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Perhaps a bit expensive but here is one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/936342231

The way life should be.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Or, if you want to go the full custom route, Mr. Greene also has a LH Zastava action that already has a Timney trigger and 3 position safety installed. Just need a barrel and stock...

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Who is Mr. Greene?

The way life should be.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m not a fan of the way Zastava have modified their 98 action to accept a 375 H&H cartridge. You really need to check what has been done to the magazine and front locking lug area.

If you want a 375H&H on a 98 you’re better off buying an unmodified action and having someone capable modifying it properly. Alternately build a 375 Ruger or buy a 9.3x62.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JFE
I’m not a fan of the way Zastava have modified their 98 action to accept a 375 H&H cartridge. You really need to check what has been done to the magazine and front locking lug area.

If you want a 375H&H on a 98 you’re better off buying an unmodified action and having someone capable modifying it properly. Alternately build a 375 Ruger or buy a 9.3x62.

Totally agree. I have converted to using the left-hand Zastava Mauser Action on all of my hunting rifles. The modifications to the Zastava action to feed the 375 H&H are less than desirable. I have converted to the 375 Ruger and have not looked back. A dream to hand load for, super accurate, and feeds beautifully in the Standard Mauser Action.

I own a number of Zastava made Mausers including Interarms, Whitworth, and later commercial Zastava Mausers. IMO, The Whitworth actions were the best quality in terms of fit and finish and required little to no tuning or smoothing. Interarms hit or miss with the earlier actions seemingly better. The later Zastava's are a great starter kit and basis for a wonderful and accurate rifle, but the actions seem to need a lot of polishing and tweaking to make them buttermilk smooth in operation. All of the barrels on my later model Zastava's are super accurate.

O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Interesting. I think I will pass. Perhaps if one becomes available in a more standard cartridge like 30-06, 7x57, 6.5x55 etc. I'll have another look. It would have to be a deal though.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The other thing I’d suggest is inspect the rifle or action before buying. I have a couple, one in 9.3x62 and another in 458. Both were bought as bare actions and both required very little work to tune them. I swapped out the push button bottom metal with ones from Interarm models with the guard bow floorplate release.

I was going to build a 404J on a 375 Zastava but when it arrived, I was totally underwhelmed by the factory conversion. I believe the Whitworths and Interarms 375H&H conversions were made the same way. It works but it’s very primitive. I was so put off that I packed it up and moved it on.

I later picked up another LH Zastava action for $395 (less than US$300) and at that price I couldn’t pass it up. I inspected the action before purchasing to make sure it was acceptable.

The good thing about these actions is that they are a sound basis for a custom and you can buy all kinds of aftermarket parts to customise them. eg Wisner and Gentry made 3 position safeties for lefty 98’s. The factory trigger is fine IMO but there are several aftermarket options. The same for bottom metal. For fans of aperture sights the actions come D&T-ed for a side mounted aperture sight. For one of my rifles I had a Redfield sight revised to fit like a genuine LH sight.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As far as lefty 375 H7H's are concerned, I previously owned:
Win 70
CZ
Zastava

The Zastava takes a lot of work to look good. It feeds and functions ok but tolerances seem loose. Stock needs work to make it look nice.

CZ is the best built, holds 5 down, but is HEAVY! Stock seems to fat. It needs the stock slimmed down and checkering recut.

Win 70 is the best rifle "out of the box" of the three and doesn't need anything to be a great rifle.

If I needed a 375 today first choice would be a CZ followed by the Win 70. My experiences owning the Zastava's has not been good. One that I sold (unfired) to another member here had a barrel so loose he unscrewed it by hand.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good luck finding a CZ

The way life should be.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
As I mentioned you do need to check out Zastavas before you buy them. The QC is a little hit and miss.

The CZ 550 is very rare in this country but I managed to find a used one. There is a lot to like about the CZ but it is way too heavy for a 375 IMO. It is a true magnum Mauser size. Mine has become a 458.

My favourite 375 H&H rifle is a Mauser model 2000. It’s a PF but I’ve had this rifle for 40 years and it’s never failed. They are a lightweight rifle designed to be carried. These and the Mauser model 3000 were based on the Heym SR20N action with styling for the American market. They are a real sleeper and not that expensive compared to other options, if you can find one.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Who is Mr. Greene?
Mr. Greene at Greene Sporting Goods in Greeneville, TN... Not sure if the GB auction below ended and not yet relisted? Or, maybe it finally sold? Been going around on GB for a couple months...

Left Hand Zastava Action with 3 Position Safety...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Forgot about the Mauser 3000. Bought one of those in the late 1970’s. Was a very nice push feed, looked a little like a Weatherby designed stock. Kind of on the light side. I remember drilling out a hole in the grip and glassing in a steel rod for support “just in case”.
Also had a Rem 700 with a really light stock straight from the factory. Rifle weighed in the low 7 pound range scoped. Recoil was brutal. Used it to kill a few moose, caribou, wart hog, and impala. Absolute joy to carry but the muzzle flip was so bad I added a brake to tame it down. Then it because to loud to shoot.
Am glad my days of needing a 375 are over smile

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
There’s a leftie CZ550 in 375 H&H up for sale on GB with only a couple of days to run. It’s a tarted up model that has ‘Craig Boddington’ markings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.