Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I reached out to Sagebrush but by the time he had any, i was in Alaska and shipping is difficult. I had to make my own loads as i wanted hard cast for bears. I ran 2 full magazines through for accuracy and function testing with no issues.
I guess 15 grains of Bullseye was too much wink

I put a 20# Wolff spring in it too

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
If i could post photos i would

NRA Benefactor Member

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If this, as it seems, is mostly confined to Glock 40’s and 10mm’s, why in the world would anyone carry one? Honest question, I have no ax to grind.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple old errors came up in this thread. First, pressure is only half the equation. While the 9mm Luger and .40 S&W might generate similar pressure, by virtue of the larger case hear the .40 imparts significantly more pressure to the breech face (bolt thrust). If both cartridges generate 35,000 psi the 9mm will deliver 3,464 lbs and the .40 will deliver 4,398 lbs - a 27% increase. The .40's larger case will also generate more radial pressure and more hoop stress which can also be magnified if the larger bore is cut into a 9mm barrel.

Second, a heavier recoil spring does little to nothing to decrease unlock time and that is being generous.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
was the ruptured case still in the barrel?

I had a gen 3 Glock 19 do that it left the case in the barrel. blew the case out on the unsupported ramp on the bottom. It blew the magazine out of the pistol. It was the last round and the mag was empty. stung my hand pretty good. The other damage you reported did not happen on this Kaboom.

I think I had a double load. The ammo was gun show reloads my brother gave me. A fiend of mine thinks the pistol fired out of battery.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The old "40 caliber Glock barrels do have enough chamber support" is one of those things that had some merit many years ago but is extremely dated information.

Sadly it gets repeated by people who don't actually have any personal experience. They simply read something on the internet and repeat it. Usually the information they have read on the internet is not actual first hand information either. It is literally repeated like a parrot over and over by others until it becomes "internet fact".

It is much like the "You must be limp wristing it" phenomenon that has become that catch all response for any semi auto malfunction. People who literally could not describe the cycle of operations of a firearm if their life depends on it will gladly diagnose any issue with a firearm without any real information. If it malfunctions, then "You must be limp wristing it".

Along that same line, any time a .40 caliber Glock is brought up, it must be "poor chamber support". This is in spite of not having any verifiable information. This is the "Limp wristing of the .40 S&W" world. In spite of the fact that Glock changed the chamber dimensions more than 2 DECADES ago.

2nd Generation Glock .40s did have issues, but that was more than 20 years and over 1 MILLION .40 caliber guns ago.

Here are some pics not pulled off the web, but from my bench.

Here is a .40 cal Match grade KKM barrel. You can see the chamber support:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And here is a Gen3 Factory Glock 22 .40 barrel:

And here is a Les Baer .45 Match barrel and its "Chamber support" for comparison:

Confirmation Bias is the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

Quite often they are wrong.

The punchline is that people repeat the same information and come to conclusions without verifying any facts.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Glad you are ok Dennis.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m sure the “15 grains of Bullseye” was a joke but what was the actual load?

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good friend has an early 27, and was loading his ammo with top
level loads. He blew numerous cases.

I was there for the first one, and some of the last.

First was a bit of an issue for us. Neither ever had something like that
happen. But it wasn't a big deal. On firing, it stung his hands.
Then he realized the mag had blown out.

Checked everything, nothing damaged.
Went back to shooting, different ammo.

Wasn't a predictable, repeatable thing. That gun had the chamber cut
out where the ramp feeds the round in. It left nice smileys.
Kinda guessed the ruptures were when a pressed back smiley lined
up with that spot again.

He finally gave up on loading for it. Factory ammo was never an issue.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to hear that Dennis is ok.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Buffalo Bore used to list spring recommendations for using their 10MM 220 gr Hardcast ammo in Glocks. Changed the spring to a 22# in my Glock 20 I used to own accurate and worked well with BB 220 gr hardcast ended up selling the Glock and bought a Springfield XDM 10mm using the same load.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by McInnis
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Sounds like a well thought out plan. Having only a Swiss Army really adds to the level of brilliance.

I hate posts like this. Someone comes here to share information that’s of interest to us all, and gets a snarky smarta$$ reply like this.

I thought it was snarky myself however I have several Swiss army knives that have never left the house. But then I would have had a belt knife on me. The cool part it trying to kill a caribou with it. That's being snarky!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have several G23.4's that get shot a lot.

Rules for .40 Glocks:
- Gen 4.
- Factory ammo.
-"Barney" hand chamber loading.

Had a Gen 2 for a long time and never had a problem, either.

PS. .40 - is loaded to 35KPSI, just like std. pressure 9mm Para.

GR

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Sounds like a well thought out plan. Having only a Swiss Army really adds to the level of brilliance.

What an azzhole

In short, you think he had a well laid out plan. Thanks

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

I hate posts like this. Someone comes here to share information that’s of interest to us all, and gets a snarky smarta$$ reply like this.

Kind of like "I offered $50 to a ho in the southside of Chicago for a BJ, but when I finished I only gave her $20. I got my ass beat and was almost shot by her pimp."

McInnis be like "Thanks for the useful info, I hate that your WELL thought out plan didn't work"

The only useful info in the OP's post is that he was an ill prepared idiot.

Last edited by OlderGuy54; 08/31/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Kind of like "I offered $50 to a ho in the southside of Chicago for a BJ, but when I finished I only gave her $20. I got my ass beat and was almost shot by her pimp."

McInnis be like "Thanks for the useful info, I hate that your WELL thought out plan didn't work"
Steelhead making friends.
Lol

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Raferman

Steelhead making friends.
Lol

He ain't wrong. I know a lot here embrace stupidity.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wow. Because my pistol blew up i was an ill prepared idiot, just wow. How many caribou have you bulldoged and cut their throat. Maybe i should have had a 3rd gun? 2 knives?

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jmd025
I’m sure the “15 grains of Bullseye” was a joke but what was the actual load?

I don't remember the load. I'll have to check my records but it was 7+ grains of Longshot under a 180 Acme hard cast bullet

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Wow. Because my pistol blew up i was an ill prepared idiot, just wow. How many caribou have you bulldoged and cut their throat. Maybe i should have had a 3rd gun? 2 knives?

If arseholes were jets, 24HCF would be LAX

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 677 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.