-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Until very recently, we used to deworm twice a year - early winter after freeze up, and again late winter just before breakup.

Our newish vet suggested fecal testing to get egg counts to make a determination. We ordered and used these tests:
Horse parasite test

If our three, 2 had zero egg counts, and one had 7. 7 is below treatment threshold. Horses are fat and happy, so we’ll test again in a year.

Disclaimer: no connection to the test company. Just passing on information to use as you will.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For quite a few years I have been worming quarterly. I had few fecal counts done and they always come back OK. I timed it so I gave them a dose right when they were starting to shed out and another right before hunting season. One mid summer because of all the flies and one the first of the year to take care of any Bots they picked up in the fall from the eggs on their legs.

I have never rotated wormers and fecal counts were always ok,. I use the generic Ivermecton that use to be about $2 /tube online.Then everyone heard it was a cure or covid and it's $12/tube. I usually bought a case of twelve and have about 4 left right now.
I am down to one mule now so I won't need to do that anymore.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With my llamas, I worm once a year, after the 1st major freeze. Liver flukes is the biggest issue with them. They're carried by snails in the ditch water. Once the ditch water is off and they're back to drinking from the tank, the snails are gone for the year. They won't be an issue until the next irrigating season.
The problem is that there are no dewormers listed for llamas. I have to use one for cattle and sheep. I used Ivermec Plus for years, with the Plus part being the fluke killer, but they dropped it a couple years ago. Now I use Valbazen which is a broad spectrum wormer. They haven't died and I haven't had any fluke problems so I guess it works.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This is about horses, not camels! 😎

Interesting critters them llamas. Supposed to be a helluva guard dog for sheep.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You didn’t specify horses. It might be about the homeless skank on your front lawn with the 7 wormy kids.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The homeless are by the park. 😁

I wonder if the equine worm count would work for other species or if it’s that specific.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My program is kinda like sadlesore has done. Buy cheap Ivermectin and use it , I do spring and after fall freeze. The only exception to that would be brood mares and babies, they get an extra dose before weaning.

Just my opinion, the animal in a closely grazed lot may need more attention, because they eat every blade of grass, and that is where the worm larvae get introduced. I generally have abundant grass and not much worm problem.

If I had a poor doer then the fecal test might help you find something. My freind had a mule that sweat really easily, They tracked down encysted stongiles in that case.

In 30 years I haven't seen them in my mules, most of them I have raised.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
One consideration my vet talked about is creating dewormer-resistant parasites by using a worker when it isn’t really needed, hence the testing.

Analogous to changing engine oil at 3000 miles. Unnecessary, doing it that way because it’s always been done that way.

Eye opening, really.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We have been testing via fecal egg count for almost a decade and wormed according to the test results. However, I recently read an article that provided additional insight into that practice and I am now compelled to do more research.

https://www.uckele.com/articles/deworming-strategy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A while back we were watching a rerun of an old 'House' episode. They operated on a woman with strange symptoms and pulled out a 25 FOOT tapeworm. House said he was disappointed at the small size as the record was about 60'.

― George Orwell

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
One consideration my vet talked about is creating dewormer-resistant parasites by using a worker when it isn’t really needed, hence the testing.

Analogous to changing engine oil at 3000 miles. Unnecessary, doing it that way because it’s always been done that way.

Eye opening, really.

I have not seen dewormer parasite resistance with my protocal and I have been using generic ivermectin for close to 25 years. Probably more as I started when they stopped tubing for worms. I use to have fecal count done very two years. After ten years, not so much nothing ever showed up. Every once in awhile I slip in some Ivermectin Gold as it gets any tapeworms, although again I never saw any evidence of them.

Three different vets told me it isn't broke, so don't fix it.Maybe mules are more parasite resistant though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by woods_walker
We have been testing via fecal egg count for almost a decade and wormed according to the test results. However, I recently read an article that provided additional insight into that practice and I am now compelled to do more research.

https://www.uckele.com/articles/deworming-strategy
Thanks for that link.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Eye opening, really.

I have not seen dewormer parasite resistance with my protocal and I have been using generic ivermectin for close to 25 years. Probably more as I started when they stopped tubing for worms. I use to have fecal count done very two years. After ten years, not so much nothing ever showed up. Every once in awhile I slip in some Ivermectin Gold as it gets any tapeworms, although again I never saw any evidence of them.

Three different vets told me it isn't broke, so don't fix it.Maybe mules are more parasite resistant though.
I haven’t seen it either, Vince. Our vet is recently semi-retired from a career of being a Tb breeding operations vet in KY. Always unique situations in different parts of the country. Our parasite season isn’t like warmer areas.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yea, I have hauled some mules in from a Missouri sale a few years back and they were loaded with worms. It took three doses a month apart to get rid of them.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Animals are individuals too. Not to over complicate things because everything that has been said is correct. One thing I also know to be true is you can have a handful of horses in the same pasture. You can worm them the same at the same time. One will have as many worms itself as the other 4 combined. Some just get more than others. Oddly enough it may be the biggest slickest one too.

When I notice one that seems to have more I have been getting it up and doing the power pack where you worm with a double dose 5 days in a row. I get them up to watch the manure and to keep it off the pasture. Not sure if that makes any difference or not. Can’t hurt.

I know every time I think I have breeding raising training etc….figured out I encounter something else.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mom gave each of us 1/3 cup of kerosene on the 1st of May each year.

1Minute
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Eye opening, really.

^this^

The old boys used to give their horses a wad of Red Man a couple times a year.

My Uncle back when he was on the farm asked the vet about deworming his horse. The vets answer was "horses have worms".

My endurance horses get exactly what the vet recommends in all areas. $$$

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The vets answer was "horses have worms".
True. They all do. The question is whether they're doing any damage. Many cases of worms are harmless and it's natural for an animal to have them. Sometimes worming them is just a feel good thing so the owner can think he's helping the horse. The trick is how to tell the difference. That's the vet's job.

― George Orwell

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I’ve seen a couple horses colic as they tried to shed a massive parasite load after deworming. That’s why I was so willing to dose them 2X per year.

I saved woods walkers article above to share with my vet.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’ve seen a couple horses colic as they tried to shed a massive parasite load after deworming. That’s why I was so willing to dose them 2X per year.

That is for sure. I brought one mule home from the sale in MO and as I always did, wormed her before I put in with others. She almost died from the load of worms. It was a pile about as big as a cow pie.

Some of these horses and mules a person get that are calm and docile become whole lot more of a horse or mule after getting all the worms cleared up.A few more than you want

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.