Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I was wondering if there are any PH's who have not written a book about their hunts/life who you would like to see write one?
I am sure there are many.I would like to see one by Rich Tabor,Luke Samaras,some Zim Ph's,and more.

Last edited by swiftshot; 08/12/22.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Barry Duckworth, Mokore Safaris, Zimbabwe

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Mike70560

That would be interesting to read for sure.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by swiftshot

I'll be hunting with his son Neil next month in Mozambique. Mokore runs a good operation.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Originally Posted by swiftshot

I'll be hunting with his son Neil next month in Mozambique. Mokore runs a good operation.

Excellent choice. I hunted with Neil on Coutada 9 back in 2010. Shot a 49" buffalo along with a bunch of plains game. It is one of the finest concessions in all of Africa.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It’ll never happen, but if Roy Vincent could be persuaded to write a book of his career, it’d be epic. Going back to when Zimbabwe was Rhodesia, he built a career which today could never be duplicated. Starting at 15 as a meat hunter for the Wankie coal mines, then a member of the Game Department, through the war, then a PH of approximately 40 years, he’s lived a life few can imagine. But, he will never write a memoir.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the better ones I've read isn't just a PH story, but a much longer autobiography titled SHADOWS IN AN AFRICAN TWILIGHT by Kevin D. Thomas (https://www.kevindthomas.com/).

He was born and raised in what was then Rhodesia, and his first job out of high school was as a game scout for the Rhodesian game department--at age 17. He was also part of the Selous Scouts during the Rhodesian Bush War, and also was employed as a game culler on one of the big Rhodesian cattle ranches, back when they saw big game only as competition for cattle, before there was any major safari business in the country.

I've hunted with Kevin more than any other PH, the first time in 2002 when he was just starting to write SHADOWS, and had relocated his safari company to South Africa after Zimbabwe started going downhill. Since then he's retired, and published other excellent books, such as THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT BUFFALO--which unlike some PH books also includes chapters by other PHs. (I contributed a chapter on the American perspective on Cape buffalo, which doesn't mean I got paid in any form other than gaining considerable knowledge from Kevin over the years.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks John, I just ordered the Kindle for $9.99.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I enjoyed George Hoffman's book.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I went fishing with Barry Duckworth for a day, he could write a book for sure and it would be very interesting. I have a friend that will be in C9 right before you, he is leaving next tuesday, may be there while you are bowmanh. I spent 15 days there in Sept 2018, I think about it everyday, its an amazing place, lot's of game.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This thread got me going, and I ended up rereading Kevin Thomas's THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT BUFFALO yesterday. The info from other PH's is interesting, but Kevin's is even more so, partly because over a career of close to half a century from when he started as a cadet game ranger in Rhodesia at 17 until he retired a few years ago, he hunted buffalo (and other game) in so many different parts of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, as well as other countries. There's also some excellent information on buffalo behavior, derived from a long-term study done in Zim, which he condenses and comments on.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I remember that I enjoyed reading his book.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kevin just joined the Campfire.

He made his first post on the forum "Movie, Book, and Music Review." But he plans to post elsewhere, including the "Africa" forum--where his knowledge after 50+ years as a ranger for the then-Rhodesia game department, and then several decades a full-time professional hunter (who guided in several countries) should add to our perspective.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I should be in Coutada 9 on 9/13. Sounds like I'll overlap with your friend. I'm looking forward to it!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I should be in Coutada 9 on 9/13. Sounds like I'll overlap with your friend. I'm looking forward to it!

And I am jealous. Tell Neil I said hello. Mike the Quiet Man killer of the 49” buffalo. He will get a laugh out of that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a fabulous addition to the Fire!!

Do or do not, there is no try.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Buzz Charlton’s book “Tall Tales” is an excellent read written by one of the premiere Zim PH’s.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

And I am jealous. Tell Neil I said hello. Mike the Quiet Man killer of the 49” buffalo. He will get a laugh out of that.

We had a great hunt with Neil and I told him you said hello. He definitely remembered you!

Barrie was there and we spent a fair amount of time with him. He's a really nice guy and quite a character! He had some great stories!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
👍

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Would enjoy a book about Harry Selby(sp) and his adventures. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
456 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.