Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m knee deep into another good one fellas. This is said to be the ultimate account of the Lewis and Clark expedition. My timing is impeccable on this one as I’m living and working a literal stones throw from the Missouri River on which the party traveled. I’m currently reading about their approach to the Great Falls in Montana where I temporarily reside. It’s also nice to have arrived here at the exact same time that they did, during mid June… lots of great reasons to be reading it when and where I am!

I’ve always been a fan of Thomas Jefferson and find the relationship between him and Meriwether Lewis an interesting one. Jefferson may have missed the mark on some of his guesswork on how relations with the Native Americans would pan out and some other unknown factors, but his forethought and ambition brought great blessings and growth to our young nation.

Lewis and Clark got to do what we all have dreamed of… they saw this grand place on earth when it was the real wild west, unspoiled and teeming with wildlife of every kind in unbelievable numbers.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
GB2

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Jeffpg Have you visited the Lewis & Clarke center yet? It is a must see for any history fan.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Very enjoyable read. Lewis' descriptions of the plains animals made me think they were literally strolling through heaven

Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ipopum
Jeffpg Have you visited the Lewis & Clarke center yet? It is a must see for any history fan.

I’ve been all around it but haven’t made the time to go in yet. I’m currently working 7-13’s but I plan to go before I leave here.

My girlfriend and I did visit the CM Russell museum though and it’s very impressive. We’ve seen the Black Eagle falls which is nearest to town and the largest falls which is fartherest from town.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
The Great Falls are worth the short drive and you also get to see the rocks that have been cut thru buy the river.

Depending on the river flow will control the amount of water over the falls.

This is also the furthest point of a steam boat going up the river.

I lived in GT Falls much of my working career,

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, that's a really good book. Along with the story about the expedition itself it describes what America was like at that time, who Lewis & Clark were, how well their various strengths worked together on the expedition and their lives afterwards.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 09/01/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was a good book. It has been awhile since I read it,

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A very good read. I was impressed with Jefferson's attention to detail in coaching up Lewis including his teaching Lewis to find Latitude and Longitude.

Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I finally finished the job in Great Falls about the same time I finished reading this one. Overall I found it very informative and entertaining. I learned a lot I didn’t know, especially towards the end when things really took a unexpected turn. This is definitely a must read for the American outdoorsman.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jeffpg: I have been to St Louis, Missouri and I have been to Astoria, Oregon. I have been to most every place in between that Lewis & Clark trundled along in their boats and on their horses.
I never cease to be in awe of the courage, stamina and perseverance that group of Americans had!
I stopped just yesterday at "Beaverhead Rock" on the Beaverhead River where Lewis & Clark camped at a hot spring there and bathed.
Mr. Ambrose did a superb job on Undaunted Courage.
Undaunted Courage is NOT just a "good book" it is a fantastic book!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.