Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here in Virginia, squirrel season starts on Saturday, September 3, and runs through the end of February. (Then again in June.)

Anyone else's starting or has started?

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/01/22.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Our season started today in New York and it's off to a great start. Was running a little late this morning and didn't get to my spot until 7:00. Killed three in the first 5 minutes all out of the same hickory tree. Went over and picked those up, sat back down and quickly killed three more, all without moving my butt from my perch atop my favorite log. Our bag limit is six here so that was it for me. Checked my watch after I picked up the last one and it was 7:30. A new personal record for a limit of squirrels. Shattered my old record by 17 minutes.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Been open here in Missouri since Memorial Day weekend. 10 daily limit

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
September 10th here in Alabama.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I'll probably go out next Thursday. Only morning i have off for a while. Virginia here also

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday it was hot as hell and ultra humid and I was thinking, man, I may not start squirrel hunting until October. This morning I went out and it was nice and cool and felt like fall is starting, and I was like, I can't wait to get out next week. For me, it's going to depend on the temps. I have a hard time hunting in super hot humid weather.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
After the first frost.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm sitting under a hickory as I type this. It's pushing 90. It's hunid as hell. There full foliage. Can't see [bleep]. The flies and ants are out in force. Nothing moving in the trees. The only thing I've stirred up was a fawn on the way in. There's some premature mast dropping. It hasn't rained significantly in a month. Not a good day for squirrel hunting. But it's better than being at work.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I'm sitting under a hickory as I type this. It's pushing 90. It's hunid as hell. There full foliage. Can't see [bleep]. The flies and ants are out in force. Nothing moving in the trees. The only thing I've stirred up was a fawn on the way in. There's some premature mast dropping. It hasn't rained significantly in a month. Not a good day for squirrel hunting. But it's better than being at work.
Its supposed to be mid 50s here in the western part of the state on Thursday. Glad im waiting. I have a new to me Winchester 37 in 16 gauge i need to try out.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I called it quits at noon. At noon my truck thermometer said it was already 90. Not a hint of a breeze. Just hot. The woods are filled with spiderwebs with black and white spiders with points on their abdomens. Every few yards it's another spider web. Oh well, it only gets better from here.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I usually try to get out at day break and call it quits by 9:00 - 9:30 as squirrel activity has pretty well petered out to nothing by then. Either that or wait until late afternoon and hunt until dusk if I'm too lazy to get up at the crack of dawn.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do that when its cooler. But the logging roads are covered in chest high weeds and blackberries. Once it gets cooler, much of that will fall over and it will be easier getting in. Feeling your way through that stuff when it's just getting light is no fun. Last time I went out to check my game camera, I got there early and nearly walked on top of a skunk I didn't see until I was about 10 feet away.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/05/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just to your west, ours started August 20 this year.

While it is warm, it's pretty fun to hunt in the mornings when the dew is on the leaves. You can hear them jumping limbs a mile away because it sounds like it's raining in a localized spot. Makes finding them easier when there are still so many leaves on the trees.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ours is usually the Saturday before Oct 1. It's actually on the 1st this year, which is always the Archery opener, regardless of the day of the week. So some opening morning squirrel hunters will be heading to the same woods as opening morning bowhunters. That should mix well..... lol

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been out three times this season and killed my limit each time. The longest it's taken so far was an hour and 15 minutes. Was 40 degrees and foggy when I left this morning. Got to my spot at 7:10 and left at 8:18 with another limit of grays.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here in Montana squirrels are not a game animal so there is no closed season on them.

I was having a very good hunting season one year back in the early '80s. I had shot a mule deer buck, a pronghorn antelope buck, a bull elk, and either a Sirias bull moose or a Bighorn ram, all on DIY hunts within 100 miles of my home. After those hunts my copy of Outdoor Life was in the mailbox. The cover story for that month was about some guy who had opening day jitters for squirrel season. Sorry squirrel hunters, but after that I couldn't get excited about Outdoor Life any more and I didn't renew my subscription.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was going to squirrel hunt yesterday but it was pretty hot, though the humidity was lower than previous days. I decided to try and call in a coyote instead. Should have gone squirrel hunting and was pretty much kicking myself all day for not doing it.

The trees are still in full green foilage. There's mast in the tree tops and it hasn't started to fall in earnest yet. A little bit, not a lot. Trouble is the woods are dark and it's put near impossible to see the squirrels way up in the tree tops picking acorns. I never really started hunting squirrels until the leaves started to change and mast started falling. And it's just been so damned hot and next week its supposed to get back up to 90.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I was going to squirrel hunt yesterday but it was pretty hot, though the humidity was lower than previous days. I decided to try and call in a coyote instead. Should have gone squirrel hunting and was pretty much kicking myself all day for not doing it.

The trees are still in full green foilage. There's mast in the tree tops and it hasn't started to fall in earnest yet. A little bit, not a lot. Trouble is the woods are dark and it's put near impossible to see the squirrels way up in the tree tops picking acorns. I never really started hunting squirrels until the leaves started to change and mast started falling. And it's just been so damned hot and next week its supposed to get back up to 90.

When I started squirrel hunting the season always opened in October. I always felt this was the best time with the weather. You usually have a couple of frosts by then, most of the bugs are gone and the leaves are starting to fall. A great time to be in the woods for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my backyard, every day is squirrel season.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
In my backyard, every day is squirrel season.

You sound like my cousin. He said the only seasons around here are salt and pepper. Lol!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
523 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.