Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
One popped up at the gunshop and the owner is selling it to me for 650. It doesn't have much for wear(most 458 win mags don't except when they do) and I have heard mixed reviews on them. I have two whitworth Yugo Mausers and I like both of them. I also have a couple of bsa rifles but they are push feeds and not a mauser action. I am looking at it as another yard gun to go with my other 458 Win mags. Great for killing bears or crazy moose in close quarters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kaboku6;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day has been a good one for you and you're well.

Since you're more well versed in .458's than I am, I'll leave you to know the spots to check the stocks for cracking or getting pounded out.

The Parker Hale rifles that I've looked at or worked on had actions which were made by Santa Barbara in Spain, with the barrels made in the UK by PH.

I've built a couple rifles with PH barrels and they aren't terrible as far as accuracy goes. A gunsmith I trust said they were well enough made but tended to be somewhat softer than some other barrel makers. Again I've fooled with a few PH rifles and most were capable of decent accuracy, that includes the ones I used in builds.

The one thing that's a possible issue with PH rifles is the trigger is made of some sort of pot metal and I've seen a couple where the trigger housing was cracked.

If the rifle was for ursine social purposes, I'd be inclined to consider replacing the trigger as a start.

The trigger guard/bottom metal isn't exactly aluminum either as it's heavier than aluminum.

When PH went out of business there were parts and pieces sold all over and I ended up with at least 3 sets of unfinished PH bottom metal. Where one went I've no clue, one went to New Brunswick I think and one is still hanging in the garage, but it's nearly as heavy as steel bottom metal.

Hopefully that's useful to you or someone out there tonight.

Good luck with the rifle whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Whitworth's were good as firm Zastava, Serbian (you incorrectly term "Yugo") actions & complete rifles! The firm dates back to the mid nineteenth century. Been around a while. I have several and appreciate them all. One, as your latest, an Express version in 458 WM! Really nice, classic configuration right down to the multi-leaf "express sights".

As to the BSA rifles, they made one in 458 Win chambering too. And... the first edition of that really nice unique rifle from mid-fifties era, was first in CRF. Bout half a decade, not many sold. Then BSA push feed replacing. I have four of CRFs, no magnum version which I believe was limited to the ref 458.

I just can't get warm to the Santa Barbara Spain genre. Sorry! Hope it works out for you and likely no reason it shouldn't!

Best!
John

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by iskra
The Whitworth's were good as firm Zastava, Serbian (you incorrectly term "Yugo") actions & complete rifles! The firm dates back to the mid nineteenth century. Been around a while. I have several and appreciate them all. One, as your latest, an Express version in 458 WM! Really nice, classic configuration right down to the multi-leaf "express sights".

As to the BSA rifles, they made one in 458 Win chambering too. And... the first edition of that really nice unique rifle from mid-fifties era, was first in CRF. Bout half a decade, not many sold. Then BSA push feed replacing. I have four of CRFs, no magnum version which I believe was limited to the ref 458.

I just can't get warm to the Santa Barbara Spain genre. Sorry! Hope it works out for you and likely no reason it shouldn't!

Best!
John

When I went to the Zastava factory in 1990, it was definitely in Yugoslavia

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RPN
Originally Posted by iskra

Best!
John

When I went to the Zastava factory in 1990, it was definitely in Yugoslavia

Correct, when the Mk X' were made, the factory was in what was then Yugoslavia. Fast forward to today, the same Zastava factory is now in Serbia.

The Parker Hales are a good value.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I picked it up today. Doesn't look like it was ever shot. [Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I picked it up today. Doesn't look like it was ever shot. [Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

How much does it weigh and how many rounds does it hold?

Have you cycled rounds through it yet?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
10lbs and 4 rounds.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Final essential analysis, "it meets your own expectations!" smile
Good luck with a handsome looking rifle.
Best!
John

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It should work just fine for you. And it looks very nice!

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think $650 is a good deal. Even pre-covid it would have been a good deal. Today it is double good. Many or most guns have gone up 50 to 100% in the last two years. But, ok, put that aside and run the clock back a couple years. Which will never happen. But just to show this is a doubly good deal:

Ruger no longer makes a 458 bolt action. CZ no longer lists a 458 anything and appears to have dropped the whole 550 line. Remington nothing. Savage never had one. That leaves one option for a new 458. As far as I know, the imported and expensive Winchester. Maybe Kimber or Sako? Dollars squared!

Googling Winchester 458, Sportsman Warehouse $1500, shipped. I like this, even at 1500. It sure makes 650 look good.

Edit: Used Ruger 77 (or RSM) or CZ550 in EITHER flavor 458 are selling for north of 2,000 used around here!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
kaboku6;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day has been a good one for you and you're well.

Since you're more well versed in .458's than I am, I'll leave you to know the spots to check the stocks for cracking or getting pounded out.

The Parker Hale rifles that I've looked at or worked on had actions which were made by Santa Barbara in Spain, with the barrels made in the UK by PH.

I've built a couple rifles with PH barrels and they aren't terrible as far as accuracy goes. A gunsmith I trust said they were well enough made but tended to be somewhat softer than some other barrel makers. Again I've fooled with a few PH rifles and most were capable of decent accuracy, that includes the ones I used in builds.

The one thing that's a possible issue with PH rifles is the trigger is made of some sort of pot metal and I've seen a couple where the trigger housing was cracked.

If the rifle was for ursine social purposes, I'd be inclined to consider replacing the trigger as a start.

The trigger guard/bottom metal isn't exactly aluminum either as it's heavier than aluminum.

When PH went out of business there were parts and pieces sold all over and I ended up with at least 3 sets of unfinished PH bottom metal. Where one went I've no clue, one went to New Brunswick I think and one is still hanging in the garage, but it's nearly as heavy as steel bottom metal.

Hopefully that's useful to you or someone out there tonight.

Good luck with the rifle whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

Dwayne , How do you identify a Santa Barbara action?

There is a Parker Hale that was bought @ 1959. in B.C. A Safari Model. What would show it up as a Santa Barbara action? It looks like the one in Alaska above except the back sight , a Lyman flip up ( for scope ) is not on a ramp.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the is evidence of a stripper clip slot or a thumbcut on the left wall, then it is NOT a Santa Barbara. Pull the action, SB's will generally be marked "made in Spain" or simply "Spain".

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx for my ,you learn something every day moment.
The 30-06 I looked at shows a thumbcut and stripper clip slot. For those who may have the same rifle , Safari appears in script just ahead of the thumbcut , the rear flip sight is a single leaf dovetailed into a rectangular block , and it does not have a Schnabel ,but rounded forend. The back bridge has been ground by Parker Hale , possibly to prevent using or to hide a stripper clip history'.
The trigger guard and floorplate are original heavy steel opened by inserting the point of a bullet into the floorplate hole which falls away unhinged.
The gun looks just about the same as the Alaska one above but it doesn't have the recoil lug exposed .

Last edited by Malcolm; 08/31/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s no big deal to screw on a 458 barrel on any push feed magnum receivers. Controlled feed might need a little work.

I just sold my 77 tanger 7mm RM. It would have been a candidate to send off for fitting a 458 barrel on.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
580 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.