Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have never had experience using lapped rings and I'm wondering if this is done to prevent ring marks on the scope? How much accuracy improvement would you expect from lapped rings on 5 shot 400 yard groups, if any help at all?
Thanks

BP-B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Maximum surface contact is the goal with lapped rings. I've never noticed a different when fielding the rifle, but when initially setting one up and getting it mounted, lapped rings let the scope move smoother than unlapped rings for sure. At least that's what I've experienced. I don't purposefully buy lapped rings, if they come to me lapped, fine. I won't lap them either. YMMV.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Maximum surface contact is the goal with lapped rings. I've never noticed a different when fielding the rifle, but when initially setting one up and getting it mounted, lapped rings let the scope move smoother than unlapped rings for sure. At least that's what I've experienced. I don't purposefully buy lapped rings, if they come to me lapped, fine. I won't lap them either. YMMV.

Not just that. Alignment of the holes through the rings a goal, so when the rings are tightened they do not bind the scope.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Max surface area, less likely to dent and mar the scope tube. Less chance of binding the scope up so that the internals work as they should. In my book, all are wins

Last edited by pullit; 09/01/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I could never see the difference in accuracy, but I may not be able to shoot well enough.

At 400 yrds, conditions and you, will effect accuracy more than lapped/unlapped rings, IMO. But try it yourself to see.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by mathman

Not just that. Alignment of the holes through the rings a goal, so when the rings are tightened they do not bind the scope.

I thought that's what alignment bars are for?

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Use the Burris rings with the plastic bushings for best overall results. Edk

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by ERK

This is my go-to as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never lapped. I don't think it's necessary with quality rings.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tail_hunter
Originally Posted by ERK

This is my go-to as well.
Yup. Eliminates the need to lap while ensuring proper alignment and full contact.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Alignment bars are only used for checking alignment. Mathman is correct. Also, if you buy rings that have already been lapped, that can create issues with your set up because they were lapped on a different rifle that may have had alignment issues. Now your are introducing alignment issues into your set up. Not really a good idea to buy rings that have been lapped for a different rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
With the exception of the Burris swivel inserts, the best rings/bases made cannot compensate for a receiver that's out of spec from the mounts.

The same with alignment bars. They can help eliminate ring twist when mounting but can't correct a thing if one ring is canted away from the other. That's where lapping comes in.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunzo
With the exception or the Burris swivel inserts, the best rings/bases made cannot compensate for a receiver that's out of spec from the mounts.

The same with alignment bars. They can help eliminate ring twist when mounting but can't correct a thing if one ring is canted away from the other. That's where lapping comes in.

Exactly. Some receivers are very bad. I've had very good luck in that regard. I'd also have to add that most guys shooting "long range" are using rails and good heavy rings. Generally those don't have to be lapped. Like Tyrone said, if you use good rings. This is the longrange forum, so again I'm pretty sure most guys are going to be running a good steel m1913 20 moa+ pic rail for this application. Back to the OP's question:
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I have never had experience using lapped rings and I'm wondering if this is done to prevent ring marks on the scope? How much accuracy improvement would you expect from lapped rings on 5 shot 400 yard groups, if any help at all?
Thanks

If the receiver is crap, where you should be lapping those rings, you will sometimes have issues with the scope not tracking properly. I've seen non lapped rings cause issues, on poor receivers, and thin tubed scopes (not going to mention Leup names). It stresses the scope tube enough to affect tracking. With a scope that does not properly track, it can indeed cause "accuracy" issues at any distance.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

They help you find/optimize what degree of alignment is available, they don't "create alignment" so to say.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Sometimes the alignment problem of the rings isn't because of the rings.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It will always make the rifle as a system shoot better if you lap and or bed things together so there is not play which adds stress, and pressure that bends things a bit. Not to mention things like marking up rings with the edge of a ring… now if you lap you can also embed metal but you are less likely to crease a tube.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

They help you find/optimize what degree of alignment is available, they don't "create alignment" so to say.

I gotcha. I guess I really haven't had to deal with it too much, I'm a one piece mount kinda guy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there are irregularities in the surface of the action any type of bases can cause problems with your ring alignment, even once piece mounts. Lapping eliminates the stresses on your scope if you do it correctly, but it can't account for misalignment of the bases on the action if something is off center when drilled/tapped...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Sometimes the alignment problem of the rings isn't because of the rings.

Generally a receiver issue.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I sure do love me some Burris Signature Zee's so I don't have to go thru all this bovine excrement . . .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
744 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.