Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
My mom never told us stuff like that. What she did do was take her extra money and buy clothes at garage sales and toothpaste, soap, toilet paper, and stuff like that, then once every couple of months she'd drive down to Mexico by herself to give it out to kids and poor people in need.
Kind, thoughtful woman

Romans 5:1
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't ever hear that because I didn't turn down anything with the exception of peanut butter and green English peas. Was always hungry and ate whatever was offered even if I didn't much like it. Now my brother a year older was fanatic about stuff he wouldn't eat. A partial list: no solid meat (he only ate ground meat and bacon, absolutely no birds, no fish or shellfish, no beans, nothing green, only soup he would eat is with all the solids strained out and he would crumbled up enough crackers in it for a mush, the only eggs he would eat had to be completely scrambled to where there was no hint of white showing. He would eat chili with no onion or anything but meat and red sauce over a bunch of rice. He ate tons of rice, my mother made a dish for him at least twice a week called Spanish rice which was red with tomato sauce and had ground meat in it. If we were traveling he ordered a hamburger with just meat and bread, if it came out with a hint of mayo or pickle he wouldn't eat it. I don't eat rice anymore because I've had my share. He would only eat Cheerios for cereal, no corn flakes, no raisin bran, nothing else. Our father was constantly telling our mother to quit cooking special for him and he would start eating our regular stuff but she kept on.

Strangely enough now at age 71 he will eat steak, shrimp, and fried fish without bones, but still no birds. Still requires rice with bland chili.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My dad used to say that those darn Africans would surely starve if they was dependent on our leftovers. Said a cockroach couldn't make livin in our house. You boys are the eatinest kids I ever saw, you're scarin me half to death, I'm gonna have get a second job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I made the mistake of telling them to send it over there to them ONCE. Got a split lip for that bit of smartness. I was 11 before I learned to keep comments like that to myself.

Did you hear that when you were growing up???

Made the same remark, got the same results.
Originally Posted by mbhunt
If you don't stop that you'll go blind!

Not quite in that way.

I asked for something to play with. My dad cut the pockets out of my pants.

He bought me new pants after I got my first pair of glasses.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My mom never told us stuff like that. What she did do was take her extra money and buy clothes at garage sales and toothpaste, soap, toilet paper, and stuff like that, then once every couple of months she'd drive down to Mexico by herself to give it out to kids and poor people in need.

Catholic?
No Baptist.

Mine was a Fanatic Mormon
and I got the same speech.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My third and last dry season in West Africa was long, a drought, crops failed. The last six months the whole school, me included, was fed by USAID. Rice in white woven plastic sacks “From Houston TX and Crowley LA”.

Rice and sugar water for breakfast, rice and stewed taro leaves for lunch, rice and palm oil for breakfast. A Peace Corps LandRover would deliver 18 tins of tuna to me each month, which I would hide. Ate one every other day, tossed the empties in the bush so no one knew I had them. People in a village share stuff, they woulda thought me very selfish.

I’ve seen American food aid, lived on it, it saves lives.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No comments like that, but we very seldom ate together, and never cooked together

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hanco
I made the mistake of telling them to send it over there to them ONCE. Got a split lip for that bit of smartness. I was 11 before I learned to keep comments like that to myself.

Did you hear that when you were growing up???

It was millions of starving kids in China that I heard about .

" They'd love to have That..."

Me: Name three...

Last edited by ingwe; 09/01/22.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Funny

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by OGB

Sounds like you had a nice mom.

What's that like?
At my Mom's funeral 8 yrs ago, there were more people there I had never met than ones I knew. She touched a lot of lives as an RN and Teacher.

From what little I know of you I’d guess that a lot of your mom rubbed off on you Roger. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I ate everything, so the kids in China didn't have a chance with my food.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Our house, "you better eat that, or the others will ,and you go hungry". We had five eating machines, plus my parents, and grandparents! I eat almost anything!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ironic. I'm in S.Africa for a year. Only two types of blecks. Super skinny (prolly malnourished) and fat. And I mean FAT! Apparently they're tribal and see BBW as a thing. I avoid walking between them and the nearest bag of chips.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (358WCF, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,161
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.