Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Surprised I didn't comment earlier.

I have three I use regularly. The most used is a simple strap vest from Columbia. It has two front pockets and a game bag. I wear it early in the year as it is light and cool as well as late in the year as it adjusts enough to fit over winter clothing heavy enough for below zero temps. It's simplicity does not restrict movement in the winter either. If I need more pockets I am covered with the cargo pants I wear.

I have an L.L.Bean strap vest which is basically a standard vest with straps in the front. It also has a waist belt which greatly helps distribute weight off the shoulders and to the hips. It also has a cinch strap on the chest which keeps the vest forward and the weight more vertical than leaning back.

I wear it when the weather is still warm trending towards cool due to more material and it has a Camelback hydration system. The water carried on the back is a bit easier than packing bottles in my pockets though I generally carry both for the dogs. It has a lot more pockets with the nicety of two transmitter pockets for e-collars. Very helpful when running two dogs.

The third is from Cabela's and is similar to the above but without the hydration set up. I wear it later when temps have cooled enough water is not a main concern. It is a little bigger in size which allows it to be less restrictive when wearing a coat underneath. It easily handles my needs to zero and even colder depending on winds.

I have vests and a hunting coat or two but I seldom wear them for hunting. They tend to be too warm or too restrictive when cold.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I use a drake strap vest. I used to rely on the pockets of my hunting coat, but it seems that there are more warmer days down here in the duck blind than usual, so i wear it over a long sleeve shirt. Also have used it for quail hunting, with an orange shirt underneath. I like the drake style because the pockets spring open and allow for quick grabbing of shells when reloading. Also it is waterproof.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been using a McAlister strap vest for years. The cotton is starting to fail and I have sewed it a couple of times. Just orddered a Filson to replace it. I prefer strap to a Vest with armholes. It can be worn over anything.

D
D
Wife just got me an ALPS Outdoors Upland X. Seems well made and ticks all the boxes for me. We’ll see how it does this season. I wanted flexibility in layers, comfort and more storage options.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.