Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fink65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Brownells is out and has been for a long time. I opened mine up and it was like concrete. If anyone could spare about a tablespoon of it, I would be grateful.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
BP-B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fink65
Brownells is out and has been for a long time. I opened mine up and it was like concrete. If anyone could spare about a tablespoon of it, I would be grateful.-Mike
Hi Mike

In their four volume set of gunsmithing tips, I *think* that Brownells had a tip on how to rejuvenate their polishing compounds that had turned to stone.

Here is a link, but Brownells have a Swedish distributor and Brownells' website automatically turns into the Swedish mirror. Change ".se" to ".com" and it might work for you directly :-(

https://www.brownells.se/GUNSMITH-K...-Amateur-Universal-Gunsmithing-108000002

Otherwise, search for "BROWNELLS GUNSMITH KINKS 4 VOLUME SET"

I hope that my post may get somebody to post the tip if they remember, or perhaps they could look it up for you (I can't access my copies of these books right now).

John

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My 5F was always thin as could be. I opened it up and it resembled dirty water. Used it and it did ok. Sometimes 3M polishing compound worked better for me.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just finished up a stock a few weeks ago and I used 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper wet to knock down the little imperfections lightly, then automotive polishing compound to get it glass smooth. Renaissance Wax on top of that. Came out great...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
fink65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
3F is Kerosene based so I could try to get it refurbished if I hadn't pitched it. I was dumbfounded when Brownells was out of stock. Shudda looked before I leapt.

IC B2

fink65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sheister
I just finished up a stock a few weeks ago and I used 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper wet to knock down the little imperfections lightly, then automotive polishing compound to get it glass smooth. Renaissance Wax on top of that. Came out great...
All of those are decent choices and I may be forced to try them. Problem with me is that I have been doing the same method of finishing since I was taught in my pre-teens. Hard to start a new process. Fear may be the factor here?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same here. That is why I started doing a small test piece of wood similar to my gunstocks when I do the finish work now so I can test on that piece before screwing up my stock. Also, the hardest part is the 30 day waiting period to let the stock finish completely cure before rubbing it out.... learned that lesson the hard way a couple times...

You might want to see if someone close like and LGS, Sportsmans, etc... has some Birchwood Casey gun stock rubbing compound. I've had to use it in a pinch and it works, but not as well as my traditional methods. Polishing compound will clean up what it doesn't IMO...

Last edited by Sheister; 09/02/22.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have some 5F that I'll likely never use. More than half of a 2 oz jar. PM me if you want it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.