Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
DEADHORSE, Alaska (WSMV) - A son is on his way to Deadhorse, Alaska, after his father went missing on Saturday.

Authorities are looking for 61-year-old Steve Keel of Dover, Tennessee, who went missing on a hunting trip.

According to the Facebook group “Missing In Fairbanks, Alaska,” Steve arrived in Alaska on August 20th. He was last seen on August 27th when he walked away from the campsite to retrieve supplies and never returned.

Steve and his friends were camping in a remote area of Alaska where they had planned to hunt for caribou.

KTUU said Steve’s son is on his way from Dover to search for his missing father in Alaska. According to the Facebook group, Steve’s campsite was off Dalton Highway, south of Deadhorse, at mile marker 336.5.

If anyone hears anything would appreciate if you could pass it along so I can update the TN hunting site that I visit.
Thank you

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
This "exact" same thing happened last year.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not all those who wander are lost

Last edited by SeldomSeenSmith; 09/02/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look For Birds!!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unfortunately it happens too often.

Then again it happens everywhere. My neighbors lease hunter was found at the base of the tree his stand was on. Of course we don't have critters with attitudes and teethe here to much but still.....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's hope Steve's son uses some common sense when he arrives to search for his father.

Authorities sure don't want two lost out of state hunters.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good on the son for going to look for his father. Sensible or not it’s the right thing for a son to do. Realistically I’m thinking that it was probably a heartache. Hopefully the son doesn’t stray to far off course and make things worse.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Not much info on how well suited the missing hunter was when he walked away from camp. Tough country hope him the best.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
When I was getting refueled in Deadhorse earlier this week, the guy driving the fuel truck said there were three helicopters and one CAP plane looking for the hunter…The hunter was reported to have left camp without a gun and adequate clothing, to pick up some caribou meat that they couldn’t carry all the way back to camp…the fog moved in shortly after the hunter left camp. Not a good scenario for survival…

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pipercub
When I was getting refueled in Deadhorse earlier this week, the guy driving the fuel truck said there were three helicopters and one CAP plane looking for the hunter…The hunter was reported to have left camp without a gun and adequate clothing, to pick up some caribou meat that they couldn’t carry all the way back to camp…the fog moved in shortly after the hunter left camp. Not a good scenario for survival…

Ouch. Sorry to hear this. Hope he beats the odds but that sounds grim.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I hate fog. GPS is golden if it works( I've had 2 failures- mostly my own fault. It also helps if one remembers to set the damned waypoint of camp! smile. ) A compass (often 3) is mandatory.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Look down stream from Happy Valley as the SAG River has taken many from a simple slip/fall & drowning.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wishing them all the best finding the lost person.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by las
I hate fog. GPS is golden if it works( I've had 2 failures- mostly my own fault. It also helps if one remembers to set the damned waypoint of camp! smile. ) A compass (often 3) is mandatory.
Above 71 N a compass is a crap shoot, you gotta use it every day when you can see landmarks, stars or bearing points to see how accurate or not it is. I'd bet in the early days of aviation on the Slope, compasses killed more pilots than icing. I have seen the very best quality marine compasses on modern tugs just refuse to settle down up there. There is a place near Demarcation Bay east of Prudhoe where a good marine compass rotated like a 33 rpm record. Thankful for the gyro compass, you betcha.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I try not to go that far north, but you are correct. Thanks for the reminder.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Has anyone heard anything more about this?

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AK_Troutbum
Has anyone heard anything more about this?
There was five hunters missing a few days ago in Alaska. They found one dead, three are assumed drowned, plus the missing hunter up north.
[

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't leave out the one that got munched on by a bear last Friday.

A Dillingham hunter was mauled by a bear on Friday. Alaska State Troopers spokesperson Tim DeSpain said in an email that 40-year-old John Casteel was hunting up the Nushagak River, 20 miles by air from Dillingham when he was mauled.

Casteel’s aunt, Marjorie Nelson, said he came upon the brown bear while moose hunting. The bear attacked and Casteel called out to his hunting partner, who shot and killed the bear. His partner sent a satellite message requesting help, saying that Casteel had injuries on his arm and leg. He was conscious but couldn’t move.

“They had a nurse with them and other hunting parties that helped stabilize him and control his wounds," she said. "He stayed out in the wilderness for four hours, laying on the tundra. But you know, those people, the hunting party that he was with, they started a fire and they tried to keep him warm and keep him conscious and awake until the helicopter came and got him. It was a rough Friday night for us.”

It was dark by the time the helicopter arrived. Nelson said the group shot flares into the air to show their location. The helicopter took Casteel to Dillingham.

"The whole time, John was conscious. He was awake during this whole ordeal," she said. "And after they got him stabilized, cleaned up they got a medevac out of Dillingham and sent him to Anchorage.”

Casteel has deep wounds on his leg and arm and was in the Alaska Native Medical Center’s critical care unit over the weekend. Nelson says he went into surgery Saturday morning. It lasted for about eight hours

“He's still in a lot of pain, but they're trying to manage that pain right now," she said. "He's pretty overwhelmed with what happened to him. And, you know, totally understandable. I can’t imagine. I can’t — it's overwhelming to me.”

Nelson doesn’t expect recovery to be easy and said Casteel may have to undergo additional surgeries. She added that the family is grateful to his hunting partner and thanks everyone for their prayers.

https://www.kdlg.org/hunting/2022-0...vives-bear-mauling-up-the-nushagak-river

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JeffA
Can't leave out the one that got munched on by a bear last Friday.

A Dillingham hunter was mauled by a bear on Friday. Alaska State Troopers spokesperson Tim DeSpain said in an email that 40-year-old John Casteel was hunting up the Nushagak River, 20 miles by air from Dillingham when he was mauled.

Casteel’s aunt, Marjorie Nelson, said he came upon the brown bear while moose hunting. The bear attacked and Casteel called out to his hunting partner, who shot and killed the bear. His partner sent a satellite message requesting help, saying that Casteel had injuries on his arm and leg. He was conscious but couldn’t move.

“They had a nurse with them and other hunting parties that helped stabilize him and control his wounds," she said. "He stayed out in the wilderness for four hours, laying on the tundra. But you know, those people, the hunting party that he was with, they started a fire and they tried to keep him warm and keep him conscious and awake until the helicopter came and got him. It was a rough Friday night for us.”

It was dark by the time the helicopter arrived. Nelson said the group shot flares into the air to show their location. The helicopter took Casteel to Dillingham.

"The whole time, John was conscious. He was awake during this whole ordeal," she said. "And after they got him stabilized, cleaned up they got a medevac out of Dillingham and sent him to Anchorage.”

Casteel has deep wounds on his leg and arm and was in the Alaska Native Medical Center’s critical care unit over the weekend. Nelson says he went into surgery Saturday morning. It lasted for about eight hours

“He's still in a lot of pain, but they're trying to manage that pain right now," she said. "He's pretty overwhelmed with what happened to him. And, you know, totally understandable. I can’t imagine. I can’t — it's overwhelming to me.”

Nelson doesn’t expect recovery to be easy and said Casteel may have to undergo additional surgeries. She added that the family is grateful to his hunting partner and thanks everyone for their prayers.

https://www.kdlg.org/hunting/2022-0...vives-bear-mauling-up-the-nushagak-river
Yikes.

The club no one wants to join.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Was the Tennessee hunter found?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.