Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I was noticing the recent trend of illuminated reticles amongst the various manufacturers and it got me to thinking. How reliable are they and what would the serviceable lifespan be? Many of us shoot with scopes that are 20- 30 years old or more. Would you expect that with an illuminated scope? If the illumination fails, is the scope still useable or is it now a paperweight? Anyone have one fail at a crappy time?

How about batteries leaking from sitting unused? I think most use the coin style batteries, so not sure if it's an issue with that type.

My only experience with an illuminated scope is the Trijicon Accupoint that uses fiber/tritium. I've had it about 10 years now and it's still bright, but I understand it's pricey to get them repowered. I just bought a second one in 1-6 x 24 and expect it to serve me just as well, but it got me to thinking about scopes with electronics.

BP-B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Take out batteries when not in use.
Change batteries before hunting season.
Own 5, never a problem.
Try to spot a brown/gray Coyote against the sagebrush and you'll want one.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven’t had a leak, yet. Have left a couple on until the battery died, but the scope is still usable. When my Accupoints need a recharge, I’ll be happy to pay to do it, though as I’ve mentioned here a few times, the fiber optics do the real work as long as there’s any skylight.

All he lighted scopes I have or owned before are perfectly usable without the illumination. AFIK, only red dots that rely totally on the little light are rendered unusable. Prism sights also work with or without the juice.

Check the warranty of any illuminated optic you’re considering. Some makers limit the warranty period on the electronics.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Take out batteries when not in use.
Change batteries before hunting season.
Own 5, never a problem.
Try to spot a brown/gray Coyote against the sagebrush and you'll want one.
How does the illumination make a coyote stand out from a background he blends with?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never had a coin type battery leak. Even after tossing bicycle lights into my attic where they sit for 5 years in extreme temperatures.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reticle in my lighted scopes doesn't need electronics to make them visible. They look like a normal reticle until you put the power to em at which point they turn red or green.

I have them and use the illumination some when hog hunting close to dark, makes the crosshairs stick out against the black hog otherwise I don't see much advantage to them, maybe a little at the very few first or last minutes of daylight.

Have to run em on low at these times or they will be too bright to see the target.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 09/02/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have never had a coin type battery leak. Even after tossing bicycle lights into my attic where they sit for 5 years in extreme temperatures.
Was thinking the same. Never hear about watch batteries or hearing aid batteries leaking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My oldest scope that is illuminated is a red dot. It’s an Aimpoint I’ve had for about twenty years. It had the same batteries until two years ago. No leaking. Never removed the batteries.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
FWIW, I've only had one scope issue that required warranty repair. It was a Zeiss HT and the problem was the illumination power rheostat.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used and use several different illuminated scopes, from cheap to high $. Never had the electronics give up the ghost but have seen dead batteries.

Illumination can be nice in low light if it's a small area with extremely dim settings....can ruin low light view if it's to bright or to much is illuminated. Daylight bright like the NX8 1-8 is very nice for quick shooting....sucks in low light. Pros and cons to everything. I think S&B's FlashDot is really nice in low light as well as their P3 illuminated inner plex.

I understand the OP's questioning. The more complicated something is the more chances it has to fail. I hate to rely on illumination. For a hunting scope I much prefer bold outer posts no more than 5 mils from the center...prefer 3.5 mils....measured tick on windage holds, with a fine center. Bracket in low light, don't have to hunt for it in sun/shadows or tangled backgrounds, and the inner plex is still fine enough for precision.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Take out the battery at the end of each hunting season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Reticle in my lighted scopes doesn't need electronics to make them visible. They look like a normal reticle until you put the power to em at which point they turn red or green.

I have them and use the illumination some when hog hunting close to dark, makes the crosshairs stick out against the black hog otherwise I don't see much advantage to them, maybe a little at the very few first or last minutes of daylight.

Have to run em on low at these times or they will be too bright to see the target.

Yeah. Everyone always asks if a reticle is “daylight bright”. That’s not as big a deal to me as being usable in dim light, not overwhelming. The Accupoints seem very usable so far, and honestly the tritium only appears when it’s pretty damn dark and there’s no skylight. Battery-powered units give more control, but I’ve seen a lot of complaints about ones that don’t go low enough.

Bobby Tomek is the resident guru on this stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was living in the PNW I used scopes with illuminated dots quite often and it was easier to stay on a coyote moving through the brush and sage in the dimmer light there. Since my move to NM and hunting the ASW. I find myself gravitating to bold German #1's or #4's, heavy duplex without the illumination. Thinner cover, shorter period of half-light in the morning, less haze in the air, whatever. The fact that the areas are larger, more up and down and I cover more ground, a Leupold 1-4x20, 1.5-5x20 or other low power 1" scopes are considerably lighter.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Tritium!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good quality illuminated scopes are pretty reliable in my experience. I use them mostly to shoot matches, where they get get banged around some, and I've had no problems. The batteries seem to last a long time.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Was thinking the same. Never hear about watch batteries or hearing aid batteries leaking.

I broke the hoop where my Key Fob connected to my keychain [hissy-fit] truck built in Sept. 97 F-150. It rode in my console for 20+ years, got it out last winter, still worked - original battery, obviously these type batteries don't corrode.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have several Kahles/Swarovski/Zeiss/Leica with illuminated reticles. Most are over 20 years old, one is a first gen Kahles. Only had one illuminated adapter crap out (1st gen Swarovski). All the rest are going strong. Manufacturer makes a difference in my opinion.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Oddly the worst illuminated scope I've owned was Trijicon. Poor quality and it crashed a few times and I moved on from it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Oddly the worst illuminated scope I've owned was Trijicon. Poor quality and it crashed a few times and I moved on from it.

Which model?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have always been afraid of illuminated scopes. The illumination is not covered by warranty like the scope is. I hunt during very cold weather, and I stick with non-illuminated scopes. I always wanted to try the Trijicon, but not sure how long it would last.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.