Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Following quote is from UPS.com. (I added the bold font.)

"UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) and firearm parts that do not constitute firearms as defined by federal law (together, “Firearm Products”) for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products."

I did not look up Title 18, Chapter 44, but I assume a licensed collector is someone who has a C&R FFL. If that is true, this is just another reason to get a C&R FFL if you don't already have one.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info!

Looking at the USPS insurance rates it looks like half your cost is for insurance?

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the UPS info...
"Any item that meets the definition of a firearm (including firearm mufflers or silencers) or a “frame” or “receiver” under federal law (including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12) must be identified and bear a serial number in satisfaction of the requirements for identifying such items under federal law, including 27 CFR § 478.92 and/or 27 CFR § 479.102, regardless of whether any such items are otherwise exempt from or not subject to identification requirements under applicable law.  This prohibition applies even before the effective date of 27 CFR § 478.12."

I think this says that all firearms must have a serial number regardless of whether it is required by law. A lot of older .22 are not serial numbered.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why a collector doesn't get his C&R license which helps to cut through the red tape that's snarling our world is beyond me. Seriously, it was the best $30 I ever spent, has saved me many logistical headaches, and saved me enough transfer fee money to have bought me another nice rifle.

Personally I'd had it with UPS for a long time, and have used USPS and FedEx quite satisfactorily. Meeting FedEx requirements only takes a few minutes of time on a computer. I've spent more time and been more frustrated dealing with medical insurance companies recently. Heck, even before I got the account with FedEx recently it was no big deal to "complete the paperwork" at one of their computer stations at the terminal.

As for collecting challenges, we rose above the hassles one by one as they've been thrown in our paths starting with the Gun Control Act of 1968, and we'll continue doing so. You going to roll over and surrender to this latest glitch or will you beat them at their own game? "Did we surrender when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!!!"

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
OK, UPS is not the only shipper in town. I used USPS for my first shipment years ago. Insurance was sky high so I discovered FedEx Ground and never looked back.

Create an account with FedEx and do your shipping online. Print the label and drop off the box at a Fedex location. Done.

I've had 2 claims with FedEx. I got paid on both. One was straightforward and the other took calls to the FedEx president's office.

The last few guns I shipped were enclosed in a frame I made from 1X4 boards and put them in a cardboard box. Nothing got broke or bent.

Face it, we are becoming a shrinking community of 2nd amendment supporters and the far left would seize our guns in a heartbeat if they could. Hold 'em tight!

Yep, I received one of Mike's well packaged rifles once. It took me and my then FFL guy about a day and a half to crack it open!🤪

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good info!

Looking at the USPS insurance rates it looks like half your cost is for insurance?
Good info!

15 for non-standard length And 16 insurance

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have always sent my guns USPS priority. Probably at least 50 over the years. Never had an issue.

Ever

Eventually all shippers are going to get out of the gun and ammo business.

Plan accordingly.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
USPS is not allowed to ask if you are shipping a gun.
Nor are they allowed to refuse to ship one.
No handguns via USPS unless you're an FFL.
They will ship live chickens, don't forsee them banning guns.
BTW USPS is not a US government run organization.
"Don't keep putting your foot on bridges you may never come to."

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
USPS is a government run organization. Anything they do has to approved by congress. Including budget, employee pay and postage rates. The USPS board of governors is appointed by the President with the consent of the senate.

However, it is not funded by the government, so technically it isn't a government agency like the Department of Defense or Department of Interior, Secret Service or FBI or BATF ect., etc.

You can ship any long gun anywhere in the US as long as it goes to an FFL. Handguns must go FFL to FFL. Regrettably there are many postal workers that don't know and understand their own policies or rules.

My wife has been a USPS employee for 35+ years and has ascended pretty high in management ranks.

I don't have any problems shipping guns USPS or getting claims for myself or my colleagues resolved, as long as they were smart enough to buy the insurance. If you do file a claim and it is paid, you must surrender the gun. You don't get the money and keep the gun. You get one or the other.

It ain't going to last forever though. Eventually the Dems are going to legislate shipping guns via USPS out, especially for us without FFLs. So pray for a Republican congress as long as you live.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
In the UPS info...
"Any item that meets the definition of a firearm (including firearm mufflers or silencers) or a “frame” or “receiver” under federal law (including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12) must be identified and bear a serial number in satisfaction of the requirements for identifying such items under federal law, including 27 CFR § 478.92 and/or 27 CFR § 479.102, regardless of whether any such items are otherwise exempt from or not subject to identification requirements under applicable law.  This prohibition applies even before the effective date of 27 CFR § 478.12."

I think this says that all firearms must have a serial number regardless of whether it is required by law. A lot of older .22 are not serial numbered.

Realistically:

Are they going to tear your package apart to make sure the gun you are shipping has a serial number on it?

It's not legal to drive 66 mph in a 65 mph zone. You could get a ticket for that. But nobody does.

What is the punishment for shipping a gun or gun part against UPS "policy"? A good tongue lashing from the clerk or supervisor? It's not even against the law. It's against their policy. UPS is a private company. They don't make laws. They are not a legislative body.

Holy sheet....

~Admiral Yamamoto~

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by Rick99
In the UPS info...

Realistically:

Are they going to tear your package apart to make sure the gun you are shipping has a serial number on it?

It's not legal to drive 66 mph in a 65 mph zone. You could get a ticket for that. But nobody does.

What is the punishment for shipping a gun or gun part against UPS "policy"? A good tongue lashing from the clerk or supervisor? It's not even against the law. It's against their policy. UPS is a private company. They don't make laws. They are not a legislative body.

Holy sheet....

Just the same, nobody wants UPS to tip off the feds "Hey, here's a guy you may want to look at." Legal or not, nobody likes an audit.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Easy answer is use USPS. F UPS.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've heard chatter about old timey collectors aging out and not being replaced.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The really sorry thing here, is when I started at UPS in 1986, if you didn’t have an accident, every year you got a catalogue of safe driving gifts. Toaster ovens, golf clubs, and starting at about ten years safe driving, Wetherby rifles and Browning shotguns. Now they wouldn’t be able to ship their safe driving gift.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
...and newbie collectors not being able to afford this stuff.

What's left? Middle aged guys with more money than good sense buying/hoarding stuff that drives the guys on either end of the time spectrum out of the game, simply because they are driven to accumulate "stuff"? Could be that's the way it's always been. Case in point: I've developed a keen interest in vintage single shot rifles at a point pretty late in my life, and find the best/most interesting stuff to be far outside my relatively fixed income. Would that I had delved into them in my middle years when the costs were lower and/or I had the money to indulge. I actually had a very keen interest in them when I was young, but didn't have the means to pursue them, and then interests shifted.

The whole "collector" mindset has always kind of baffled me. I've never felt compelled to acquire complete sets of anything, be it silver dollars, stamps, baseball cards, pokemon dolls, or guns. I accumulate stuff that bears against what's required to pursue my interests du jour, and when those interests fade that stuff goes away to make room/finance the next interest. What I have collected though is a pretty wide range of knowledge - which is something that doesn't go away (at least until Father Time has his way). And that, dear hearts, is the best kind of collection IMO.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/04/22.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, well said. The best collection we could ever have is what we gather for, and keep in, our hearts and minds.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What comes to Lyndeborough STAYS in Lyndeborough. And that's a fact Jack!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everything?

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
what fireball said few comments back I said this maybe ten yrs ago at trappers convention same for trap collecting old timers are disappearing and very few new young getting in to it. My wife got sick and I sold most of my collection at that time would do it all again if I had to but in todays times I don't think that collection is a avenue I would get back in to

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
Yep, well said. The best collection we could ever have is what we gather for, and keep in, our hearts and minds.

There's a few really special firearms that just make your soul sing. Those are the ones that matter in a collection.

But, with that being said, what if they all got stolen, or burned up in a fire? In the end, they're all just things, they're not our identity. A man has to be able to "stand alone". One day soon, we will all stand stripped and laid bare before our Creator. They won't matter then, other than maybe how they were a stumbling block.

LOL
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
809 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 3,208 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.