-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did a lot of new equipment installs on my job.
All of our truck drivers were as R50 says "1.0 types" and without fail they would be late. Sometimes by hours.
Git so bad the boss started docking their time and even that didn't speed them up much.
Fuggers didn't give a chit as long as they were back at quitting time.
Problem was the install might go on for hous then I had a 2 or 3 hour drive home.
I heard after I retired the company actually started monitoring the GPS on the trucks, they were loading up then going back home or by the side mommy's place. Caught one selling fuel for half price on the company fuel card for a hour or so.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being habitually late is a character flaw in my opinion. No different than giving your word to somebody and than not carrying through.

I don't tolerate it at work either and have sent people down the road that had a habit of not being on time. My wife is never late either and between the two of us it must have carried over to our kids because they are always on time.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I despise people that aren't timely. Frankly, I don't associate with them...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like that country song by Brad Paisley “Waitin On A Woman”. So true!

Hanco,

Totally get it man, and agree about people being late! The flip side of the coin is people who don’t seem to have a tiny little shred of a life, so when you invite them for a cookout or party that starts at 6pm, they show up at 2pm. This seems to pi$$ me off even more than people showing up late. Maybe it’s just me being an a$$hole, but my wife’s know it all, irritating, condescending, dip$hit of a brother doesn’t get invites to any of our get-togethers any more. Pick any of the 6 factors I just listed as the reason why!

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I would rather be 15 minutes early to work than a minute late. Lived by that rule for 47 years at my job.
Co-workers who are perpetually late really annoy me, especially those who live within walking distance when I have a 26 mile drive.

It's all about having a proper work ethic. You either have one or you don't.

Last edited by JeffyD; 09/03/22.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Used to go to a doctor that would double and triple stack patients at the same appt times possibly on the gamble of no-shows.

Apparently every appointment I went to, everyone else showed up.

You would sit in the main waiting room for sometimes an hour passed your appt, THEN…they’d put you an exam room and wait another hour.

The doc would always blame the staff ladies up front.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys nailed it ... my wife has been habitually late from the day we got married 47 years ago... and I still get pissed about it...

She isn't even always just late on me, which irritates me to no end, but she will go to the store just before closing for some unnecessary item she thinks she needs at the last minute and I tell her it is just rude to keep people there after closing. She responds "oh, they can just wait a few minutes for me"... then I really get mad..... what kind of narcissist survives in the world like that without consequences?

I was brought up to be on time- actually a few minutes early- to wherever we were supposed to be- church, school, work, party invites, weddings, you name it.... my wife's family doesn't live by the same clock most humans do... and half the time I just refuse to go anywhere with her or get together with her family because of it...
I do give my fishing buddies heck if they aren't on time to go. If I have to get up at 4:00 AM to get the boat ready, load all the coolers, bait, etc... make sure there is gas in the tank and the motors are running so they can show up at 5:30 to leave, they sure better be there with a couple minutes either way or they risk being left at the driveway. And it's a two hour drive to the fishing spot ....

Now that I got that out of my system- there is a flip side. Now that I'm getting older I have a few "issues" to deal with that I can't control, like most guys my age. So, no matter how hard I try to get places on time, nature or my infirmities interfere at the worst possible times, it seems. There are times I just turn down invitations because I know I can't make the schedule, or I can't perform the work or chore or favor due to my issues.... which are pretty much out of my control at this stage...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My doc in California also happened to be a customer at the auto shop I owned, along with the rest of his family. When I billed him for the two hours of labor time I spent in his waiting room past my appointment time, he called up to question the charge. Since nobody else in town wanted to work on his Mercedes, he paid up. I never had to worry about cooling my heels in his waiting room past an appointment time again!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
You guys nailed it ... my wife has been habitually late from the day we got married 47 years ago... and I still get pissed about it...

She isn't even always just late on me, which irritates me to no end, but she will go to the store just before closing for some unnecessary item she thinks she needs at the last minute and I tell her it is just rude to keep people there after closing. She responds "oh, they can just wait a few minutes for me"... then I really get mad..... what kind of narcissist survives in the world like that without consequences?

I was brought up to be on time- actually a few minutes early- to wherever we were supposed to be- church, school, work, party invites, weddings, you name it.... my wife's family doesn't live by the same clock most humans do... and half the time I just refuse to go anywhere with her or get together with her family because of it...
I do give my fishing buddies heck if they aren't on time to go. If I have to get up at 4:00 AM to get the boat ready, load all the coolers, bait, etc... make sure there is gas in the tank and the motors are running so they can show up at 5:30 to leave, they sure better be there with a couple minutes either way or they risk being left at the driveway. And it's a two hour drive to the fishing spot ....

Now that I got that out of my system- there is a flip side. Now that I'm getting older I have a few "issues" to deal with that I can't control, like most guys my age. So, no matter how hard I try to get places on time, nature or my infirmities interfere at the worst possible times, it seems. There are times I just turn down invitations because I know I can't make the schedule, or I can't perform the work or chore or favor due to my issues.... which are pretty much out of my control at this stage...

Spicy Diarrhea?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use to have to go by and wake my help up every morning. And then come back and tote them to work. Always told them what time I'd be there and if they were ready to go I'd buy breakfast at the Old Dixie restaurant. Sure don't miss that crap.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There are many people who believe it is fashionable to be "fashionably late." It is the "cool" thing to do. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Showdog75
I'm my opinion most habitual lateness is a control mechanism.

You're pretty close to the truth there. According to psychologists the big reason for people who are habitually late is that they consider themselves special, and worthy of others waiting for them.

The bottom line however in any instance is that it's rude. It means simply that you are the last thing on their list.

I have done nothing to deserve the rudeness and I won't tolerate it. From anyone.

Like many others here I was brought up with the thought that if you aren't early, you're late. Being a little bit late is like being a little bit pregnant.
That would be the wife's sister. Oh she's absolutely gorgeous for sure but after two divorces she's starting to learn maybe she's just a f****** b****

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It has everything to do with lack of respect for others and being self absorbed

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/03/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll be there early.

I can’t stand being late, or even being on time.

I get the redass at doctors offices..

A 3:00 appt is supposed to start at 3:00.

Not 4:15.

Last time i went to the eye doc for yearly checkup.

Last time they schedule is 4:00, they close at 4:30. That’s cool.

So i get a 4:00 apt. I take off work at 3:30. Takes 5 mins to get there.

I’m there early.

Finally see the doc at 4:45.

Lady doc. Tries to be chatty.....

“How you today?”

Well, i took off work early to be at my 4:00 apt. It’s 4:45.

She apologized, said she had some special needs children before me..

Kinda felt bad then......

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh boy, something else to be self righteous about. Hell yeah. I’m in.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ran an asphalt/concrete crew for a bit. When I inherited the crew they were always late.

Some guys would show up late, hang around the vehicle changing clothes then come dragging ass to where we were stockpiled. I would start their time when they got to where we were loading trucks, getting traffic control loaded and so on. Man they would raise hell. I told em I started time when they were working, not when they pulled up.

Ended up getting the owner to agree to a 3x and you're fired policy. Only had to use it 2x.

My pard is always late and usually just a few minutes.

Fuuugger will be late to his own funeral.

Wife....same way. I just tell her that we need to be ready 15-20 minutes before we really need to be, that helps some.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 09/03/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did have a kid on my crew that rode with me. Always early, real early.

He had straight pipes on his pickup. I quit setting an alarm. I could tell him to be at the house at 6 and he would be backing up my drive at 5:15-5:30. I just let his pipes be my alarm.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's fishing or hunting outing, one better be out front when I arrive or I'll leave.

Worst case: Wanted to be on the river at daylight. I arrived at exactly 06:00. He was in PJ's and needed to shower (don't know why the fish would care). Then we needed to stop for a sit down breakfast. Last, needed to stop to purchase some gear. Made it on the water at 09:00.

Second trip, I pulled in, no lights were on, and I was gone in the time it took me to turn around.

Near all of my present associates are ex military and are typically about 1-minute early.

But for my wife's pleading, I've wanted to leave my own son numerous times. Give him 5 minutes of notice and he has to pause for a smoke within seconds of our departure. Same at rest areas where I expect to pee and get going. With him, it's another 10-minute smoke break. For a full day of travel he'll consume about 40 minutes of our time.

I'm getting old and don't have much time now.

At the other extreme: One of our local cowboys:

Whatever the locale or task, he is typically an hour ahead and might have half the task accomplished when the rest of the party arrives. The crew set him up one morning and all arrived about 2-hours early which did not sit well. Next go around the group was going to camp on site expecting a ridiculously early arrival. The crew pulled in about 6:30 PM the evening before to sit around a small campfire and put out bedrools and he was already there.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/03/22.

1Minute
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I hate to be late,I get started early enough if I have a flat I will still be on time. I worked for a Judge who would tell people that showed up late If your plane left at 9 am you would not show up at 9:15. They would be set for the next docket about a month out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I hate is when someone shows up consistently late, but always with an excuse on their lips. If you are late, you can apologize, but I'm not waiting for your ass and I don't want to hear your excuses.

Second thing that drives me crazy is people who are VERY early. My in-laws will tell us, "We plan to get there by 5:00", and they are there at 4:00 or earlier. They want us to go to the airport 3 hours before a flight. That isn't happening. I don't check luggage so 90 minutes is plenty. Don't show up more than 15 minutes early, because chances are, we are WORKING, either with meal prep or last minute cleaning because our house isn't "in-law clean" 24/7. Of course, yesterday they were an hour late, which screwed up dinner plans and caused the smoked pork tenderloin to be overcooked and dry after holding it for an hour in an insulated cooler..

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 09/03/22.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,042
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.