Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve gone back and forth for a few years now, this last hitch has been better than the first few goes.

I still carry and compete with irons but the dots are gaining. I give up very little yet gain a lot with a dot.

Reliability, I have seen irons fail more than once in a match, saw a Dawson FO front break right off at the dovetail. I’ve seen plenty of cheap dots fail but the two proven dots I trust are the RMR and the HS 507C. Seen lots of these and only read of the older RMR’s with problems. I don’t trust either’s auto mode. Batteries are cheap. I like the bigger window on the 507C.

Carry ability, I cut a notch out in my kydex IWB for the dot. It rides at my belt line. I don’t notice it.

Shooting ability, I’m still quicker to the shot with irons but it’s not by much and after todays match with an iron sighted 1911, I noticed I was taking more time on my first shots cause distances weren’t the usually quoted 7 yards and under… I have to have either fiber optic front or one with illuminecent paint to draw my attention and I embrace the blur.

What I gain is better accuracy, up close and at distances I used to not consider “pistol” distances. I can focus on the target and see the entire area in focus for my next targets in real time, better situational awareness. I can call my miss’s by knowing where the dot was when the shot broke.

Yes I still use irons and I will continue to use dots. I don’t care what others use but overall a good shot with irons will be a better shot with a dot. But only if you dedicate the time to train like you did with irons. If you won’t train then stick with what you know or at least think you know.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Waders
So, what makes a red dot sight so unacceptable to you? (I anticipate some spirited discussion, but if we can maintain civility, it may prove more useful.)

There are a number of things.

First, I use the top of the gun itself, not just the sights, as a coarse aiming "thingy" for close shots. Anything that changes the shape of the top of the gun makes it less usable. In this instance, its the same factor that makes a Glock a non-starter for me. The square, flat top simply does not lend itself to that shooting technique the way a rounded top does. ... and neither do dot sights.

Second, I do not like stuff on top of my handgun. Iron sights and nothing else. It is, to my eye, clutter.

Third, complexity / reliability. My iron sights are always on. I don't have to flip switches or squeeze dingly things to activate them. Batteries don't wear out, etc. I don't have to periodically stop and check iron sights to make sure they haven't quit on me.

I could probably think of more but that's enough to seal the deal for me and then some.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Exactly those that refuse to try one don't realize the fact that RDS are superior. In every way

Case closed

Case closed, uhhh how many decades of experience with them do you have?

You gonna wait decades to catch up?

If it takes a personal decades to realize RDS are better then he is rather dim witted

Was waiting to see this. First gen pro point circa mid 80’s. Sat on a 41 mag Blackhawk in a B-Square mount for about 10 years. Second pic shows the etching from the cylinder gap. Got a 1 gen aimpoint and B-square mount kicking around for Ruger MKII and GP100 just waiting for the day that they get mounted on something.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They have their uses but not on a carry gun. And no I didn’t wait decades to wise up.

Swifty
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Exactly those that refuse to try one don't realize the fact that RDS are superior. In every way

Case closed

If it takes a personal decades to realize RDS are better then he is rather dim witted

Was waiting to see this. First gen pro point circa mid 80’s. Sat on a 41 mag Blackhawk in a B-Square mount for about 10 years. Second pic shows the etching from the cylinder gap. Got a 1 gen aimpoint and B-square mount kicking around for Ruger MKII and GP100 just waiting for the day that they get mounted on something.

They have their uses but not on a carry gun. And no I didn’t wait decades to wise up.

I wouldn't put one of those monsters on a carry gun, but I really like the Holosun 507K and 507C

Last edited by jwp475; 09/03/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thankfully red dots have advanced over the years

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Waders
So, what makes a red dot sight so unacceptable to you? (I anticipate some spirited discussion, but if we can maintain civility, it may prove more useful.)

There are a number of things.

First, I use the top of the gun itself, not just the sights, as a coarse aiming "thingy" for close shots. Anything that changes the shape of the top of the gun makes it less usable. In this instance, its the same factor that makes a Glock a non-starter for me. The square, flat top simply does not lend itself to that shooting technique the way a rounded top does. ... and neither do dot sights.

Second, I do not like stuff on top of my handgun. Iron sights and nothing else. It is, to my eye, clutter.

Third, complexity / reliability. My iron sights are always on. I don't have to flip switches or squeeze dingly things to activate them. Batteries don't wear out, etc. I don't have to periodically stop and check iron sights to make sure they haven't quit on me.

I could probably think of more but that's enough to seal the deal for me and then some.

Tom

Excellent answer. But, for a lot of people, that ain't good enough! It seems they simply cannot stand the fact that you don't like what they like. You don't do it the way they do it. Their way is superior! Don't you see???? You MUST do it like I do it, or else you're an idiot!....

And just tell them you don't like Glocks.... ho, man, the knives will come out!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Agreed that a man can like what he likes, but one correction to his post: my RMRs are always on. No switch flipping required.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I don't object to them, I simply don't need or want one on a carry gun. I can see the utility on a modern, dedicated hunting handgun particularly for low light shooting.

Self defense needs arise I. Low light as well. Red dots dominate speed shooting events and faster first shots are very important in a self defense situation

Thanks for that useful survival tip.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Case closed

Did you just seriously equate those things with the MRDS that are the current common carry optics?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I first tried my Leupold DPP on my 1911 but couldn’t reacquire the dot as quickly as a front sight. I might have been able to learn how to get back on target with it but patience isn’t one of my virtues. I switched it to my hunting revolver a S&W 629 classic 5” that truly rapid acquisition isn’t as critical to me. Rushing a shot at a deer isn’t something I would do at this point in life, it would get a pass. Defensive use is another thing entirely.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by deflave
I want to thank Waders for asking this question.

...brown-nosing teacher's pet.....

I'm gonna steal your new girlfriend. She's good about keeping it low profile, can still work to iron things out, and lights up just right. I'm not real experienced in her world but I think she and I could make it work.

Everybody loves my girlfriend. Wait...

As to brown-nosing, this thread is awesome. LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve seen a lot of people transition from irons to dots, of varying age, vision, and shooting ability. I’ve also now seen many shooters start out directly with dots.

With proper instruction they have all, all, been as fast up close and more accurate at long distance (50 yards as an example).

The biggest improvement is in the 15-30 yard range. Hitting reasonable size targets at speed is hard and anybody who disagrees is welcome to post up targets with times. Those previously hard shots become very obtainable.

Dots have essentially doubled my pistol engagement distance with no downside up close.

The key is seeking out the proper presentation technique. But if you’re not willing to do that then you’re probably not willing to purchase a quality dot or keep up with battery life or maintain the skills you acquired.

And that’s fine, iron sights still work. But it’s undeniable that they work as well for someone willing to learn something new.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KISS

If you want to keep it simple, I can think of no greater benefit than eliminating sight alignment and sight picture during the shot process.

1-See target and present the pistol.
2-Subconsciously know what level of sight alignment is necessary for the shot difficulty presented.
3-Obtain that level of sight alignment.
4-Verify the proper sight alignment is at the correct place on the target.
5-Subconsciously know where your visual focus needs to be for the shot difficulty presented.
6-Shift visits focus as needed…..Sometimes this will require you to stop looking at the thing that wants to kill you.

Or….
1-See target and present pistol.
2-See red dot on target.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I’ve seen a lot of people transition from irons to dots, of varying age, vision, and shooting ability. I’ve also now seen many shooters start out directly with dots.

With proper instruction they have all, all, been as fast up close and more accurate at long distance (50 yards as an example).

The biggest improvement is in the 15-30 yard range. Hitting reasonable size targets at speed is hard and anybody who disagrees is welcome to post up targets with times. Those previously hard shots become very obtainable.

Dots have essentially doubled my pistol engagement distance with no downside up close.

The key is seeking out the proper presentation technique. But if you’re not willing to do that then you’re probably not willing to purchase a quality dot or keep up with battery life or maintain the skills you acquired.

And that’s fine, iron sights still work. But it’s undeniable that they work as well for someone willing to learn something new.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just bought a p365 with plans to put a Holosun or Shield RMSc on it. But after shooting it a little and seeing how easy it is to hit with and feeling how easily it slips into a pocket or waistband I’m struggling to figure out what I’d gain by putting the dot sight on it. I know I’d lose some of the ease of pocket carry with the dot sight too

PS - I love red dot sights and have them on multiple shotguns and another handgun

Last edited by ShortMagFan; 09/04/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Red dot sights are still growing on me. I like them on guns that I keep bedside, take in zippered cases on road-trips, plinking, and hunting. For carry guns, such as compact and subcompacts, I just haven’t worked one into the rotation as I feel more comfortable with good iron sights that I don’t have to worry about. Not trying to contradict myself but for true carry guns, I just like to keep it very simple. That could change the more I use them but I have preferred the clean lines of a carry gun, especially IWB without a dot/rmr setup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
None whatsoever! 😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Did you just seriously equate those things with the MRDS that are the current common carry optics?

Well the phone I had back about that time isn’t quite like the phone I have today now is it? Same technology. Dial a # make a phone call. Just now they pack more sh*t in a smaller package.
Same for dot sights. Yes mine are old. Same tech, smaller package but still has the same advantages and limitations.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well the phone I had back about that time isn’t quite like the phone I have today now is it? Same technology. Dial a # make a phone call. Just now they pack more sh*t in a smaller package.
Same for dot sights. Yes mine are old. Same tech, smaller package but still has the same advantages and limitations.

Bad analogy, for starters.

And no, they are not the same. Using them is not the same. Carrying them is not the same. It doesn't take decades to figure that out.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Bad analogy, for starters.

And no, they are not the same. Using them is not the same. Carrying them is not the same. It doesn't take decades to figure that out.

Spot on

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.