Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
So now have that 1987 classic Remington 700 in 338, any bases that are recommended for it, one piece or two piece?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just like anything else. Doesn't require anything special. Leupold Dual dovetails, Leupold PRW's, Weaver mounts and rings. Etc. etc..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you get, just make sure they are installed correctly.
I hope everything works out well for you and your rifle.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
thanks, pulled stock off, there is some light rust, it was showing a date code of march 1987, but there were two small washers under the back screw on the back trigger card screw, they sat between trigger guard and the wood stock, never seen that before, also thought I heard something else fall, but could just be the mess I have on the bench.
So will have to see if these washers are even needed.
looks like rifle might have been fired a couple time and then not used, barrel very clean, but still have to run my borescope through it.

On leupolds site some bases were for nothing above a mag, so will make sure to pick the ones for the big magnum, fairly heavy rifle, will have to put it on a scale.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Partsman
thanks, pulled stock off, there is some light rust, it was showing a date code of march 1987, but there were two small washers under the back screw on the back trigger card screw, they sat between trigger guard and the wood stock, never seen that before, also thought I heard something else fall, but could just be the mess I have on the bench.
So will have to see if these washers are even needed.
looks like rifle might have been fired a couple time and then not used, barrel very clean, but still have to run my borescope through it.

On leupolds site some bases were for nothing above a mag, so will make sure to pick the ones for the big magnum, fairly heavy rifle, will have to put it on a scale.

Someone probably put those washers in for shims so the bottom metal latches or lines up. Probably needs to be glass bedded, but you will find that out when you put it back together.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had Leupold dual dovetail mounts on my 338 for nearly 25 years.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You have tons of options for a 700. They’re all fine. Only thing I’d avoid are those bases with windage adjustment on the rear. Those don’t play well with heavy recoil. On other rifles, they’re stupid and pointless. But they aren’t as common now as they used to be. I like Warne products, personally.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Talley bases and split rings

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 09/04/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The regular Talleys, or Weaver-style bases and good rings. I like the Warne Mountain Techs lately. A half-inch nut holds them to the base, and they go on and off easily, which is important here due to the never-ending optics rodeo.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have a few bases and ring sets from auctions, unfortunately the leupolds I have are all for less than 300 win mags as can be seen on the 2 piece info, as this is one set I have #50016.

STD REMINGTON 700 2-PC MATTE
Part # 50016
Leupold® steel Standard (STD) rings and bases are the most versatile of any mounting system we offer. This specific model fits a Remington 700 and is the perfect choice for standard calibers less than .300 Win. Mag.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Have a few bases and ring sets from auctions, unfortunately the leupolds I have are all for less than 300 win mags as can be seen on the 2 piece info, as this is one set I have #50016.

STD REMINGTON 700 2-PC MATTE
Part # 50016
Leupold® steel Standard (STD) rings and bases are the most versatile of any mounting system we offer. This specific model fits a Remington 700 and is the perfect choice for standard calibers less than .300 Win. Mag.

Like someone else said, those std bases are not good for heavy recoilers. The windage adjustable screws are a weak point. Glad to see Leupold admitting such in writing. With that being said, any base ring combo that will work on a 300wm, will also work just fine on a 338wm. Talley lightweight's even work, for what it is worth. It seems like you are preparing for a recoil that is going to rip your head off or something. That is not the case. I've actually seen many 300wm's kick harder than a comparable 338wm.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I quit the windage adjustable Leupolds about ten years ago. Rifles stay sighted in now.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I actually had Leupold Std. bases and rings on a Model 70 .338 WM for about 10 years. Maybe I was lucky, but I never had a problem with POI shifting.

Last year I changed scopes and decided to switch to Talley Lightweights. I'm happy with the change, but never had a problem with the Leupold Stds.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Built my first .338 in 1988--and was convinced due to so many people saying it kicked like hell that (1) it to be relatively heavy, and (2) required very stout mounts.

Turned out the 9-pound rifle didn't kick anywhere near hell, but was a PITA to carry around Montana elk mountains, so I "rebuilt" it with a lighter-contour barrel and lighter synthetic stock. Also started experimenting with various mounts, and eventually found the standard "old ugly" Weaver rings and aluminum bases worked just fine--at least with scopes in those days, when 3-9x variables rarely weighed over 12 ounces.

The rifle weighed 7.5 to 8 pounds, depending on the scope. Hunted with it from Alaska to Africa and the only times it shifted POI were when a scope went bonkers. Never had any problem with the Weaver rings and bases....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Built my first .338 in 1988--and was convinced due to so many people saying it kicked like hell that (1) it to be relatively heavy, and (2) required very stout mounts.

Turned out the 9-pound rifle didn't kick anywhere near hell, but was a PITA to carry around Montana elk mountains, so I "rebuilt" it with a lighter-contour barrel and lighter synthetic stock. Also started experimenting with various mounts, and eventually found the standard "old ugly" Weaver rings and aluminum bases worked just fine--at least with scopes in those days, when 3-9x variables rarely weighed over 12 ounces.

The rifle weighed 7.5 to 8 pounds, depending on the scope. Hunted with it from Alaska to Africa and the only times it shifted POI were when a scope went bonkers. Never had any problem with the Weaver rings and bases....
Leupold?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Almost never had a Leupold go bonkers in those days....

Did use that rifle a LOT back then as a "test platform" for new scopes, as I was writing the "Hunting Optics" column for PETERSEN'S HUNTING. Won't list the scopes that rifle broke, but it was a pretty long list, and included some pretty pricey scopes. None were Leupolds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s helpful, slut

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So now have that 1987 classic Remington 700 in 338, any bases that are recommended for it, one piece or two piece?

Depends on your scope's eyepiece / spacing and your like/dislike of extension bases and/or rings.

I had an old Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8X with friction adjust. I mounted it on a couple 700 long actions with 2 piece dual dovetail
Leupold B&R. It fit but it had effectively ZERO room to move it forwards or backwards. A one piece base often moves the
mount point for the rings slightly forward or backwards as (I know, playing the role of Capt'n Obvious here) do extension rings.
On the other hand, a Vari X II 3-9X fits with a bit of leeway to move the scope fore and aft to get a complete sight picture and
so on.

If you can make 'em work with the scope you are going to use, my favorite are Leupold 2 piece dual dovetail mounts/rings.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Almost never had a Leupold go bonkers in those days....

Did use that rifle a LOT back then as a "test platform" for new scopes, as I was writing the "Hunting Optics" column for PETERSEN'S HUNTING. Won't list the scopes that rifle broke, but it was a pretty long list, and included some pretty pricey scopes. None were Leupolds.

[quote] That's helpful, slut. [quote]

Am assuming your were responding to me, rather than Partsman--which is shat your response indicated.

Have posted many times here that my experience until around 2010 is Leupolds very rarely failed.

But about then they started failing more often. Not long afterward, maybe around 2015, I noticed that I was printing out several copies of the forms for sending scopes to their repair-department at a time. After that I quit buying new Leupolds--instead purchasing used models made before around 2010.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well found a 48098 98 weaver one piece base in some of my previous auction buys, have lots of weaver rings also, have a stack of scopes too.
Looks like cordwood stacked up and have more coming, so am going to try a few different scopes on it, I have low power, fixed power, 2-7, 3-9, 3.5-10, 4-12 and some even higher powers, so when able to shoot again I will try the weaver set up as I have a few rifles that way now.
So will see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.