Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone happen to know if their brass has remained the same as before they were acquired by Vista?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you mean is it still shitty?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Its made in the same plant, by the same employees. Its never been good, and I wouldn't expect they've changed the formula to make it better at this time.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's interesting - I have had excellent success with R-P brass for a few decades now. And I am a big Lapua fan and really persnickity about my brass. Perhaps I've just been lucky. The most recent R-P brass I bought were a hundred .375 H&H last year and they were excellent - consistent in weight and neck walls less than .001 variance. Haven't shot them enough yet to speak to longevity but my R-P .35 Whelen brass have held up really well. Same for R-P 7mm Rem Mag.

Just my experience.
Rex

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I used to use a ton of R-P 308 brass and it was pretty good, but it went to shit when Obama got elected.

Some of their 250 Savage brass I got a while back was crap in a green bag too.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not looking for an argument, I just want to know what constitutes “crap” with Remington brass?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My biggest gripe was the uniformity of the neck walls went to pot. Like one side .003" thicker than the other. 308 and 250 Savage. When I contacted them I was told that was within specification.

I got a batch of 308 cases that were several thousandths smaller in diameter than usual near the case head.

I got a batch that was soft. It would not digest my standard loads that were just fine in older batches of Rem brass of the same weight and thickness.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Since most of my brass is range pick up brass....I can't b itch about poor quality on brass, when it didn't cost me anything...

but what I pick up at the range is normally brass from factory ammo... maybe the better quality stuff goes there,
and the rejects just get put in bags to sell to reloaders...

I haven't had issues with Remington brass that has been range pick up brass..

I normally average at least 40 reloads out of brass, and most it will go more...

just don't redline the velocity, which works the brass much harder for that last 100 fps...

and I've learned annealing and resizing techniques that seem to give me long brass life..

but that is just me and for me its been working just fine for decades.... YMMV...:)

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've used range pick-ups with much success. For a good stretch there was a fellow frequenting the range who shot Federal Gold Medal Match 308 all the time and he would leave his brass. There was a time when I didn't case for Federal brass, but they've gotten much better since then. This pick up brass had good necks and processed/loaded just fine.

I've had outstanding results from Sellier & Bellot 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Winchester range brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I used to use a ton of R-P 308 brass and it was pretty good, but it went to shit when Obama got elected.

Some of their 250 Savage brass I got a while back was crap in a green bag too.

The Big Book of Gun Gack III, Chapter 28, New Brands of Brass. (re - Obama)

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's when Lapua started getting a lot of my business.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I haven't purchased any Rem brass as of late but I've been using Remington brass for years and it has always been fine for my reloading in several different calibers. I use to buy it in boxes from Midway but I've also bought it in the green bags and I couldn't tell any difference. I'm just a hunter and Remington brass has always served me well.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A few years back I bought a large batch of 7x57 brass. Cases were Winchester and Remington. Working with both the Winchester was only very slightly better than the Remingtons. I load the 7x57 on the hot side and both brands gave good results for at least ten reloads with sone of each giving a few loads more.

FWIW, my preference for brass is Winchester first, although I've heard there have been problems with the latest lot. Remington would be a close second choice with Federal way behind the group. I was given 1,100 rounds of Federal Gold Medal match brass that was once fired. Got it from an LEO friend. Every one of those Federal cases has a primer pocket so loose they will barely hold the primer in place. I think Federal brass is just a bit too soft to suit me.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by PJGunner
A few years back I bought a large batch of 7x57 brass. Cases were Winchester and Remington. Working with both the Winchester was only very slightly better than the Remingtons. I load the 7x57 on the hot side and both brands gave good results for at least ten reloads with sone of each giving a few loads more.

FWIW, my preference for brass is Winchester first, although I've heard there have been problems with the latest lot. Remington would be a close second choice with Federal way behind the group. I was given 1,100 rounds of Federal Gold Medal match brass that was once fired. Got it from an LEO friend. Every one of those Federal cases has a primer pocket so loose they will barely hold the primer in place. I think Federal brass is just a bit too soft to suit me.
PJ

308? When was that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not me. I am still slumming Remington and killing stuff. smile

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I don’t have as much experience reloading as others but I’ve only used Remington and Lapua brass. Never had an issue with Remington brass. What drove my question is that I bought some factory loaded Remington 308 and was wondering if I should throw the used brass into my brass pile for other Remington 308 brass. I’ll probably measure and weigh a few of the new ones to make sure they are close to the other before throwing them into the mix.

Thanks

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've had green bag Remington that was stellar and others bordering on horrid.

I had 6 bags of Remington 257 Roberts that wouldn't make the runout gauge so much flutter, and I'm talking brass trued up in FL dies.
35 Whelen, 222 and 222 Mag brass that were either match grade or literal garbage.

The absolute worst rifle brass I've ever encountered is 20 round, red W Winchesters in 264, as far as runout. Firing made them register less than ten points loaded and thats being generous.
Other makes in the same sizing dies were at least in the .005 range.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by roundoak
Not me. I am still slumming Remington and killing stuff. smile

A lot of the fun for me is my time at the loading bench and seeing the results of my handiwork at the range. I'm much more of a shooter that casually hunts a bit. For the deer and pig hunting I do my ammunition gilds the lily a bit. grin

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by mikestaten
I don’t have as much experience reloading as others but I’ve only used Remington and Lapua brass. Never had an issue with Remington brass. What drove my question is that I bought some factory loaded Remington 308 and was wondering if I should throw the used brass into my brass pile for other Remington 308 brass. I’ll probably measure and weigh a few of the new ones to make sure they are close to the other before throwing them into the mix.

Thanks

Remington used to make brass in several plants, none of which I found capable of making anything close to what another did.
You might as well call the brass Federal or Winchester.

A good thing to do is at least weigh them and compare.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Full disclosure: Some of the best brass to cross my bench was from a box of Rem factory 243 rounds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.