Print Thread
Hop To
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Who has one and which caliber? Do you like it and what is your load?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 16" Carbine stainless 44 Mag. Bought it probably 12 years ago. I removed that stupid bolt safety and replaced it with a peep sight, replaced the plastic mag follower with a metal one and replaced the cheesy blade front with a fiber optic one. Shoots great for deer killing accuracy. I have not tried any other loads then the factory Hornady 300 gr XTP. Killed a real nice 8 pt with it several years ago at about 75 yards.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have a 357 stainless, all the same done to it as 348 has, also big loop. I shoot 158 grain, 180 grain Buff Bore, love this gun, Rossi are very accurate and smooth after you polished and stoned parts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have a 454 casull stainless. it lives in my sxs atv. surprises me every time i shoot it, it just puts them where it is pointed out to 100 yards. i can't see past that anymore.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Shot a R92 stainless 20" in .44 magnum this weekend. It kicked like a mule with the steel curved butt plate. One thing I noticed about it is that the brass comes out bulged near the case head. Anyone notice this on theirs? Seems to be fairly common on Rossis.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
357 stainless it shoots everything well from subsonic 38 specials to full house 357 loads. D&T the receiver for a peep sight and plugged the bolt where that goofy safety was. One of my favorite builds for sure. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Keep moving forward!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've fondled a Rossi many times at a LGS but haven't acquired one - yet. I'm pretty impressed with the fit and finish, and smoothness. A very nice gun, indeed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one in 44 mag. It rides behind the seat of the truck in a saddle scabbard. The scabbard is transferred to its rightful place on the saddle when I'm riding in grizzly country. Actually, I carry it a lot when I'm walking too. I can't remember when I bought it... probably 10-12 years ago. Unlike me it seems to function better with age. I wanted the 454 Casull when I bought it but couldn't find one. Accuracy is adequate and probably limited by my eyesight more than by the rifle. I shoot the discontinued Hornady 265 grainers in mine over a warmish dose of H110. I'm planning to stock up on Speer 270 grainers if I ever run across any.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Strider- can you send me a pm on how you did that exactly. It looks great. I have one coming tomorrow and I’m ready to get it all slicked up and ready to shoot hogs in the bottoms with it.
Thanks for any tips.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
They put sling studs on the 454 but not the 357s or the 44 mags. That's one thing I wish they came with. The 454 also has the ability to load the mag tube similar to the Henry. Wonder why this isn't on the other calibers?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kingstrider
357 stainless it shoots everything well from subsonic 38 specials to full house 357 loads. D&T the receiver for a peep sight and plugged the bolt where that goofy safety was. One of my favorite builds for sure. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice setup on the peep! Really like that.

The 92's are fun little guns. I've been shooting a 20" 357 stainless for a number of years. I eventually put a skinner barrel mounted peep on it, as much out of curiosity as anything. I really like it. I know I'd prefer one mounted over the action like yours, acknowledge that it's likely going to be better for accuracy, but the skinner was quick/easy and I wanted to give one a try. I like it for what it is and, unless you're going with a setup like kingstrider's, recommend them.

It's mostly a fun gun and I shoot a lot of 38's through it. Short wadcutter loads often have issues with feed/function because of the short oal. Most round nose 38's feed/function fine. I've never had a problem with 357's. I'll carry it often when checking fences and filling water troughs. Joy to carry, light, slim, short, thin in the grip. AR or shotgun aside, it would make a great self defense rifle, especially in a home.

I've always thought in 45 with heavy loads they would be the quickest/easiest bear protection rifle made. Not as easy to carry as a handgun but more punch, much easier to shoot accurately/quickly (for me), and the easiest carry rifle around. The 454 casull would be even more pop but that's on both ends.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I slicked up a 16” stainless with all the above mentioned mods plus all new springs so it has a silky smooth pull. Chopped out that stupid curved metal butt plate and added a recoil pad, then hit the stocks with rubberized undercoating spray. Probably my favorite carry rifle and puts a wallop in deer inside 100 yards

Last edited by Biathlonman; 10/11/22.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have owned two with excellent results and the 16" 45 Colt is my favorite as it is accurate, handy, and has killed a lot of hogs. I have killed more hogs with the 45 Long Colt than any other cartridge but expect the 450 Bushmaster to exceed it this year. The Hornady 225 FTX Bullet rock in the 45 Long Colt.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Mine is blued, not stainless, but I can comment on caliber, barrel length, sights, as well as what I did to mitagate recoil.

Mine is a 16 inch 45 Colt. It is my everyday carry rifle. Loaded with the 300 grain Speer Deep Curls made for the 454, over a Ruger only load a grain under max of W296 (92 actions are quite strong) it gets over 1400 fps. The 16 in barrel really wakes up the 45 Colt. A standard load of Power Pistol sends a 250 grain Nosler hp over 1200 fps.
We have bear and mountain lions here on the property, with past encounters between the house and barn. The rifle goes where I go, in hand or when mounted in a scabbard.

Accuracy is very good. Sights are a skinner peep rear where the saftey used to be in the bolt from Steve's Gunz, and a taller front white ivory small bead. I have it sighted dead on at 75 yds. I did do a bit of polishing of the action and recrowned the barrel, both helped. I also took off some wood on the forearm where it was left proud of the metal.

I use a leather strap on recoil pad over the curved steel buttplate. It looks decent on a lever gun and does help with recoil.

The rifle is light, handy, and shoots a round powerful enough to stop anything I will point it at around here. Good luck with your choice and have fun!

Regards,
Manny

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by kingstrider

Is that an XS peep sight?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

579 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.