Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil's articles are always very informative, well-written--and often filled with action.

This is a photo Eileen took in 2008, when we visited the "Hairy Shoes" at their place on Becharoff Lake, both to fish and open the ptarmigan season.

With somewhat mixed feelings, Eileen wanted to get some good photos of bears fishing the streams. This one was taken at maybe 25- yards, with Phil standing right behind her, with 'Ol Ugly' in his hands. The bear wasn't charging us, instead running toward salmon it saw under the bank we were on--but Eileen didn't flinch, because she knew Phil had her back....

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/17577684/eileen-charging[/img]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pic, MD.

MM

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Doesn't even look like it's charging. Looks like a cartoon bear doing a Red Skelton "doo-doo-doo" as he's running.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Phil's articles are always very informative, well-written--and often filled with action.

This is a photo Eileen took in 2008, when we visited the "Hairy Shoes" at their place on Becharoff Lake, both to fish and open the ptarmigan season.

With somewhat mixed feelings, Eileen wanted to get some good photos of bears fishing the streams. This one was taken at maybe 25- yards, with Phil standing right behind her, with 'Ol Ugly' in his hands. The bear wasn't charging us, instead running toward salmon it saw under the bank we were on--but Eileen didn't flinch, because she knew Phil had her back....

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/17577684/eileen-charging[/img]

COOL picture!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
MD, I can't think of anyone better to have her back. Vietnam seasoned, with the "right stuff" to protect his CLIENTS with a 9mm handgun. A great thread !!!

"not too grumpy"
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was reading an older piece by Phil S where he referenced his jungle time. For some reason the gist stuck with me. Maybe he’ll comment. Seems some operators came out of the foliage after a long time in and headed toward the better part of base. As he put it a “REMF” harassed them about proper protocol and appearance and how they needed to shape up. One of the group gave him a “thousand yard stare” and suggested he withdraw. Wish I could lay hands on that. And best I remember REMF complied.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by shootem
I was reading an older piece by Phil S where he referenced his jungle time. For some reason the gist stuck with me. Maybe he’ll comment. Seems some operators came out of the foliage after a long time in and headed toward the better part of base. As he put it a “REMF” harassed them about proper protocol and appearance and how they needed to shape up. One of the group gave him a “thousand yard stare” and suggested he withdraw. Wish I could lay hands on that. And best I remember REMF complied.

"not too grumpy"
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
This is what 2nd Lts DO BEST !!!

"not too grumpy"
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Hope Eileen doesn't find out how you titled that pic!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Doesn't even look like it's charging. Looks like a cartoon bear doing a Red Skelton "doo-doo-doo" as he's running.

Yep, to anybody familiar with grizzlies/browns it obviously wasn't charging.

But the bear was running directly toward us, and the salmon it was hoping to catch were just below Eileen's feet, a few feet from the bank she sat on. And you never know what a bear might do when it's startled....

Here's the next photo she took, about a second later....

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That's a little close!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=oldwoody2]This is what 2nd Lts DO BEST !!![/quote

If I remember correctly the officer who called us to attention was an REMF Captain !

And John and Eileen were a real pleasure to have in camp and acted quite nonchalant about how close bears came. Eileen took a great photo of a very close and quite large old boar on another day of fishing

She also seemed quite the "bear magnet " when we were winding through alder patches with 20 ga shotguns looking for ptarmigan

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Phil,

Hope the bear hunting is going well!

It was a lot of fun visiting you all--can't believe it was 14 years ago. But do remember Eileen wasn't quite so nonchalant when she jumped the bear out of the nearby brush when ptarmigan hunting--and also remember your comment, that she set the women's world record for the backward 20-yard dash while carrying a 28-gauge....

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
great picture ! and any bear close to me i have learned respect , my good friend who was a Marine in Viet Nam and did some bear guide work in Alaska always said he like to see bears but only when the bear was a long ways away . told me the story of one of his clients on a Brown Bear hunt David as a guide always carried a 338 Win .mag. but the client had a new 340 Weatherby mag. . he seen a big bear few hundreds yards away so they stalk the bear with the right wind to the steam bed area my friend David the Marine crawled slower over the bank, and there was the bear 15 feet away ,bear had a huge head ,bear was digging in the bank ,David eased backed down the ditch bank ,told the client/hunter where the bear was , the client/hunter crawled up the bank, next thing that happened hunter had crawled back down and said he didn`t really care to shoot a bear anymore and that David could if he wanted too he would tag the bear . David said no he would not kill the bear ,David told me this that client/hunter`s eyes were huge and was white as a ghost and wanted to get out of there.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bears up close and personal are always fascinating.
This past couple of weeks while guiding fishermen we had a large male who became comfortable around us. He was on a relatively small creek and We often bumped into him at close range. We would stand looking at each other from 20-30 feet to see who would be first to give.
If I did anything abruptly, like standing up from sitting or stepping forward, he would back up and walk around us and if we stopped and backed away 2 or 3 steps he would walk right past us only a few feet away.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,979 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.