Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
168 TTSX with Varget, hesitant to quote the data as I don’t have it here but I am getting 2900 FPS in my model 7 and five shots in a 3/4 inch it is a published load

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm really liking mine. I realize this is the "long range" forum, but I'll share what I have so far with my new to me rifle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It flings the 165 TTSX pretty well:

It's a puzzy cat to shoot. About like a 30-06.. Rifle as shown, a hair over 8 pounds.. Its quite enjoyable to shoot actually.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My Ti like's Hornady 150's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
A hunting buddy shoots one, Remington Stainless. He killed a mule deer in Colorado last year at 240 yards, 185 Barnes LRX went right thru the heart and came out high on the shoulder (shot was uphill). Buck took 2 steps and tumbled down the hill. It was quite interesting to watch.

Rifle groups real good.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sqweeler
My Ti like's Hornady 150's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice rifle. I'd have the Leupold on the table and the Swaro mounted though.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
O.K. smile [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 09/04/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sqweeler
O.K. smile [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ha ha.. I knew what you were up to..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very nice. No need to be switching bullets there. That accubomb will kill any kind of deer walking this earth.. Big, small, red or brown.. The way some guys play musical bullets here is quite comical at times... Find a good one that works well and stick with it..
Based on my experience with the ABLR in 6.5 and 7mm calibers, I have concerns about the ABLR being tough enough for Elk sized deer.

The EDGE TLR (or Terminal Ascent) are quite a bit tougher.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My Model 7 in 300 always liked 165 gr. Yet to find the same accuracy out of the 7mm saum...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very nice. No need to be switching bullets there. That accubomb will kill any kind of deer walking this earth.. Big, small, red or brown.. The way some guys play musical bullets here is quite comical at times... Find a good one that works well and stick with it..
Based on my experience with the ABLR in 6.5 and 7mm calibers, I have concerns about the ABLR being tough enough for Elk sized deer.

The EDGE TLR (or Terminal Ascent) are quite a bit tougher.

Adam, I hope you find a great bullet for your rifle. My elk hunting partner is going to have to hunt elk without me this year, but if I were going, I'd grab my 300RSAUM and use the 165 TTSX I've been shooting out of it. I checked the pics I posted and didn't see these ones:
58gr Big Game, shot during load development^^^^(.725 MOA)

59gr ^^^^^(.652 MOA)

I settled on 60 grains of Big Game, as I was getting sub 2.5" groups at 400 yards and sub 3/4 moa at 100 yards. That is the load that runs 3,031 fps avg.

..........Probably because they are not spectacular for 400 yards, and this is the "long range" forum, but it is what it is. What I am seeing is these Barnes cut through the wind very well. I know we all love high BC, but if a bullet is dead nuts reliable in all conditions that is a good one. I'll take consistent real world results vs. high bc every time. I'm running 3,031 fps avg with that bullet and this little rifle. I realize that is over book max, but am not getting any pressure signs at all. Not the same as my 300WSM's I've had over the years. Those sob's would tell you when they were approaching pressure, with a heavy bolt lift. Not this rifle. It runs well.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For myself, when using Barnes, I will use the LRX line-Nothing wrong with the TTSX though.
I have used the 6.5 ABLR for mule deer and whitetail, and the bullet worked great, and then I had friends who borrowed a rifle of mine in 6.5 Creed and killed his elk with it, with no problem.
I did use the 275 grain ABLR for a big stag at 624 yards-one and done.
I do understand they are smaller than elk.
One of the few times I have used a rifle, but you can't hunt with a handgun in New Zealand.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
After a little trial and error I found a load the 300 likes.

Now I just have to find more bullets.

I cannot make the image small enough to actually attach here - the picture size has to be under 97kb (thumbnail size) and it just looks terrible.

Short version 3 shots, 100m, 0.134MOA. Velocity 3034fps, ES 20.45, SD 9.01. 168gn ABLR seated 60 thou off over a stiff, but under max, load of H4350.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Superb!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ernie,

Yes, there are some nice Reds in the hills of NZ. Even public land hunts are worthy there.

The difficult to kill deer are the Asian Sambar. Next in size down from Elk, they have thicker skin and heavier bones as befits an animal which is prey for tigers. A mature Sambar stag is larger than a cow Elk, but obviously smaller than an equivalent age bull Elk. Apart from wild populations in the Indian sub-continent, there are wild populations in North Island NZ and southern Australia with a small population in the very north of Australia too.

Last edited by Adamjp; 10/20/22.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is cool to know-Thanks!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by xphunter
For myself, when using Barnes, I will use the LRX line-Nothing wrong with the TTSX though.
I have used the 6.5 ABLR for mule deer and whitetail, and the bullet worked great, and then I had friends who borrowed a rifle of mine in 6.5 Creed and killed his elk with it, with no problem.
I did use the 275 grain ABLR for a big stag at 624 yards-one and done.
I do understand they are smaller than elk.
One of the few times I have used a rifle, but you can't hunt with a handgun in New Zealand.

Nice bull and rifle. Looks like a 338 Lapua..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep-You are correct.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
165 Nosler Ballistic Tips out of mine.

Cannot comment on long range, though.

The year I carried it, I shot an antelope at about 150 and then 2 elk under 50.

Reloading gear was packed up for a move and so I haven’t used it since.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is this something new? I killed an elk in 2007 with a Barnes 168 TSX (before TTSX was available), AA2700, around 3100 fps at 10K elevation. My rig is a M700 24" barrel bedded in a Rem synth stock, around 7.5-8 lbs w/o ammo. Somewhat customized--fluted barrel, .25" barrel tang, my trigger work. Shoots this stuff at an inch at 300 yards w/ no wind. I would go with RL16 and the TTSX at this point if I had to go next year, assuming it was all available.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by xphunter
I’m curious if anyone uses 160 class bullets with theirs?
Powder choice?
Barrel length?

You gonna build a 300 RSAUM XP?

I plan to build one each XP’s in 7 RSAUM & 300 RSAUM……..soon.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 39 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.