Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Picked up an early 70s Remington 700 with an old Bushnell Banner scope. Of course, I was removing that scope for something better. The mounts have a hinge on one side and friction clip for the other side. I had heard of these mounts but always thought they were a gimmick like the see-through mounts of the same time period. Did they actually work?

Last edited by himmelrr; 09/05/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Absolutely they do. I have even carried the rifle by the scope with them. The idea is to be able to flip the scope over and use the iron sights, but in reality I've never needed them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/05/22.

LOL
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Picked up an early 70s Remington 700 with an old Bushnell Banner scope. Of course, I was removing that scope for something better. The mounts have a hinge on one side and friction clip for the other side. I had heard of these mounts but always thought they were a gimmick like the see-through mounts of the same time period. Did they actually work?

Pivot mounts. Because scopes were that unreliable, at the time.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My uncle bought a 20” Ithaca Deerslayer back in the 60s and had a K4 with a dot installed in those mounts. They held up on that minor cannon for years, a pretty tough test.

That combo accounted for a lot of deer over the years, and plenty of half-moon scars on the unwary as well. He killed some with the scope flipped over too.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes, they do work. They return to zero when pivoted,

I have had them on my go to 270 for decades and on a couple 10/22 also.

I have two sets available with bases for Savage 99s and if anyone interested P M me

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by plumbum

Yep. Pivot Mounts.

Tip off mounts were the name given to those made to fit the rib on .22 rimfire when you wanted to mount a 1" scope on a .22. They didn't tip off or pivot over anywhere and I always wondered why they were called that.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

Actually, thats not an accurate statement.
My first year deer hunting was in 1947 in NC PA.
Scopes were very rare on hunting rifles, most of which were 94 Winchesters, 99 Savages, and pump Remington 14s and 141s. Also some military bolt guns like old 3040 Kraigs, Springfields and 98 mauser war relics.
In the early 50s scopes were becoming more popular with Weaver being the most popular by far.
Back then most deer hunters actually walked the woods, rather than sit in stands.
Those that preferred sitting were called pot hunters.
Many formed groups and performed drives, driving out thick laurel patches you could hardly walk thru. Snow meant that if you happened to shake a bush or small tree gobs of the stuff came down all over both you and your gun. That of coarse made the scopes hard to look thru, so that was a major reason so many preferred being able to use the iorn sights as well.
There were also some very good detachable scope mounts, which allowed for easy removing and reinstalling the scope. Over the years i personally used pretty much every type, and had good luck with all of them. I still have a see thru mount on a 12 gauge 222 combination using a low power Leupold scope.
So my suggestion would be to not knock it till youve actually tried it yourself.
Especially on snowy days when your walking on a steep sidehill and hanging onto small trees to keep from falling.
But then were all too smart to hunt like that anymore arent we. lol

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I had a set of those Weaver "Swing Off Mounts" on a Remington 760 Gamemaster 30-06 with a Weaver 2 1/2-7X scope. I carried that rifle, it was my only deer rifle at the time, from the late 1960's until around 1992 when I sold the rifle to a friend.

I seldom move the scope over but the few times I did it seemed to always return to zero, and that mount retained zero very well no matter how I bounced the rifle around. It was a system that worked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dad bought a new 270 in 1955 and had the flip mounts and a K4 Weaver installed. The scope was so bad that it stayed on the rifle until the '90's, and no telling at the number of deer that was killed with that unreliable scope. Scope was replaced with a POS scope, but the rings were used. I got the rifle a few years ago, scope was bad, so I replaced it. But, the new scope was too short for the rings, so after about 60 years, the rings came off. Still got'em and some day may put them back on the rifle.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think Yobuck hit it on the nose. I had them on my rifles for the very reason he mentioned. With iron sights when you got a blob of snow on them you could just blow it off, with a scope you would fog it up. trying to wipe it off still left your scope blurry until the water dried. Or if you were walking through the woods and pulled the gun up to shoot and there was snow on the lens it was easy to flip the scope out of the way. Fixed scopes of the day were quite reliable just not as clear and bright as todays.

Every branch held snow. I don't have a lot of picks from those days but here you can see the background and this was light and under the heavy canopy at camp.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Deer hunting Oconto County WI 1971 or 72
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

When a shop was closing out their scope mounts I bought a whole box of these.

Last edited by erich; 09/06/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I had them on a 742 way back when. I tested it at the range a bunch of times, scope would return to zero! Surprisingly good setup, although I never used it in the field.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
yobuck, no one is knocking them. I had never seen or handled a set. I was fascinated by them and asked about their reliability. I grew up in PA and did a lot if hunting with guys carrying 99s and 141s. Even a Krag or two.

I love the stories and pictures! Keep them coming!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Winchester post 64 30-06, and a Remington 721, also in 30-06, that both have Weavers, and these tip over mounts on.
Never tested them, nor even fired either rifle in the 10+ years I've owned them.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Got that setup with a Lyman 4 power on my .284 Winchester Model 88, works great and has several elk to the gun so far.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I would love to get a complete "Pivot Mount" (base and rings) for either a Remington Seven, Remington 700 or a Winchester Model 43 but have yet to find any. I do like the idea of being able to use both iron sights or scope as I choose.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Weaver tip-offs are fine, but I never had cause to swing a Weaver K 2.5 off on a Remington 760 rattletrap.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ScottyLTD
I would love to get a complete "Pivot Mount" (base and rings) for either a Remington Seven, Remington 700 or a Winchester Model 43 but have yet to find any. I do like the idea of being able to use both iron sights or scope as I choose.

I *might* actually have a set for a 700, not sure about the 43...send me an email to remind me, and I can look for the Sunday or Monday.

jason280gmail.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I put those on a 30/06 Rem 700 ADL, I bought in 1979 in Minnesota.

They worked real well, and were used often, hunting northern MN south of International Falls, and a Tasco 3 x 9 x 32 scope on top, which fogged and then froze every time you raised it up in front of you eye, and forgot to hold your breathe.

rubbing candle wax on your rear lens solved that problem, I later learned.

a cheap scope was useless at 10 and 20 below...but I was too young and stupid to know that at the time.

wife's family just hunted with open sites and didn't use scopes.

hell in those northern swamps, 50 yds was a long shot... longest shots were down a snow mobile trail...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I too spent the first half of my adult life hunting out of an old camp in north central PA and it was a safe bet that over half of the rifles in camp would have either pivot mounts or see-through mounts - the usual mix of 760's, Savages, Marlins. Scope of choice: invariably a Weaver K-something or other. The 94's were never scoped and the old birds who carried them were more likely than not the ones who hogged space on the meat pole with dead deer. While in college, I campaigned a 700BDL .243 with a K6 and I was kind of the odd-man-out, until I stumbled onto a pre-war style custom '03 Springfield with a Griffin&Howe QD sidemount supporting a Lyman Alaskan, with Lyman 48 as "backup" - then I really was the "odd-man-out". Looking back I was probably the only guy who viewed his rifle as something more than a tool, a means to an end. I had strayed from the precepts of "hunting" into the realm of reliance on technology as a substitute for skill, and it showed in my success rate which never matched the grizzled old timers in the camp who had been ghosting through those woods since the 1920's-30's carrying .30-30 Winchesters with iron sights.

A lot of water under the bridge since those days 50 years ago, and I sometimes wonder how far I (we) have come....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Return to zero is a depends thing.

For the Hunter that likely would use them, sure.
Good enough for most hunters? Absolutely.
We get obsessed, but if it hits within an inch or 1 1/2" of low,
you are killing deer all day long in the woods.

I'm sure they aren't reliable enough to work on a precision setup.
That's ok, most only ever were tried to about 300 yards, on game.

I have similar thoughts on see-through. Never used them, have replaced
some. For where they were used, by a one gun hunter who got used to
them and had 0 experience with other setups, they were fantastic.

Always wondered if the guys making so much fun of see-throughs ever
really compared them to their $200, half pound mounts holding a celestial telescope mounted on a "hunting" rifle.

Different strokes/folks. If it makes one happy, it's good.

Not sure why so many have trouble with that?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.