Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is always a better idea when it comes to elk hunting, but I found it best just to shoot a bull on the opening day.

Rarely do you hear consistent bugling on the opener, but this bull was talking like it was the third week. I called and sat just listening to see if anything would answer my first bugle. It was a few minutes, but he bugled back. Rather than step on him and call right back, I waited a couple minutes and bugled again. He responded the same way, but this time he had moved closer and to the East.

This sounded hopeful, so I rigged up all my gear and went slowly into the forest toward where I last heard him. He bugled and was close this time. I proceeded slowly without calling and I saw him first at about 45 yards, behind some trees that wouldn't allow a shot. I didn't think my son would believe I actually saw and heard a bull this early in the season, so I took my phone out and took a picture of him.

He gave a short chuckle and started raking the grass. I had a can of "Elk Bomb" in my pocket with about 1 small squirt in it, and pulled it out and sprayed it into the air, hoping he would smell it before he smelled me.

I managed a short chortle with my bugle and he came around the trees between us and walked straight at me. I was in the open, and couldn't move. He stared right at me. Thankfully, he put his head down and raked the grass, and when he was raking, I pulled my bow up and drew it back. I aimed right at him, but the peep on the string was turned 90 degrees and I couldn't see my pins. How I was able to put the sight into my teeth and try to turn it so I could shoot without him catching my movement, I will never know, but he stood there looking at me almost broadside.

I could barely make out the pins, but I put the 30 yard pin in the center of his chest and knew I would hit him well regardless of the distance, he wasn't that far. I pulled the trigger and could hear the sound of the arrow hitting something hard. There were no branches between us and I knew I wasn't over or under him. With cautious optimism, I walked over to where he was standing when I shot, but saw no sign of blood.

I went back to camp with the optimism of the sound of the arrow was deep inside him and he wouldn't last long.

I called my son and his friend and told them I had shot a bull and we should give him some time and then go look for blood. We had breakfast and got our packs, knives and cleaning gear together and headed back into the woods. I marked it on my ONX map, good thing too, as the light had changed so much since I shot, I could hardly recognize the area.

We started looking where he was and not a drop of blood anywhere. A few yards later Jesse found the back half of the arrow with blood most of the way up the shaft. I was more hopeful that we would find him sooner than later. The 2 boys kept looking for sign of blood and I started walking in a direction I figured he would have run to. Within about 60 yards, I found him piled up and already starting to bloat. He had obviously run to that spot and fallen over dead, as he was laying with is head under him.

Cutting the tag is always the scariest part of a hunt, so I had to check and double check I did it right.

We quartered and skinned it and put it into game bags and I then headed to Belgrade to get it into a cooler and had it skinned and hanging in a cooler by 3:30 in the afternoon...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations dude.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Nice one.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wow, congrats… nice work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool beans!

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Hey that's awesome...I'm letting the first days of the season pass, hoping to find them bugling in a couple weeks. Congrats!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
congrats. way to get it done. Sure has been a hot opener

Originally Posted by shrapnel
There is always a better idea when it comes to elk hunting, but I found it best just to shoot a bull on the opening day.

Rarely do you hear consistent bugling on the opener, but this bull was talking like it was the third week. I called and sat just listening to see if anything would answer my first bugle. It was a few minutes, but he bugled back. Rather than step on him and call right back, I waited a couple minutes and bugled again. He responded the same way, but this time he had moved closer and to the East.

This sounded hopeful, so I rigged up all my gear and went slowly into the forest toward where I last heard him. He bugled and was close this time. I proceeded slowly without calling and I saw him first at about 45 yards, behind some trees that wouldn't allow a shot. I didn't think my son would believe I actually saw and heard a bull this early in the season, so I took my phone out and took a picture of him.

He gave a short chuckle and started raking the grass. I had a can of "Elk Bomb" in my pocket with about 1 small squirt in it, and pulled it out and sprayed it into the air, hoping he would smell it before he smelled me.

I managed a short chortle with my bugle and he came around the trees between us and walked straight at me. I was in the open, and couldn't move. He stared right at me. Thankfully, he put his head down and raked the grass, and when he was raking, I pulled my bow up and drew it back. I aimed right at him, but the peep on the string was turned 90 degrees and I couldn't see my pins. How I was able to put the sight into my teeth and try to turn it so I could shoot without him catching my movement, I will never know, but he stood there looking at me almost broadside.

I could barely make out the pins, but I put the 30 yard pin in the center of his chest and knew I would hit him well regardless of the distance, he wasn't that far. I pulled the trigger and could hear the sound of the arrow hitting something hard. There were no branches between us and I knew I wasn't over or under him. With cautious optimism, I walked over to where he was standing when I shot, but saw no sign of blood.

I went back to camp with the optimism of the sound of the arrow was deep inside him and he wouldn't last long.

I called my son and his friend and told them I had shot a bull and we should give him some time and then go look for blood. We had breakfast and got our packs, knives and cleaning gear together and headed back into the woods. I marked it on my ONX map, good thing too, as the light had changed so much since I shot, I could hardly recognize the area.

We started looking where he was and not a drop of blood anywhere. A few yards later Jesse found the back half of the arrow with blood most of the way up the shaft. I was more hopeful that we would find him sooner than later. The 2 boys kept looking for sign of blood and I started walking in a direction I figured he would have run to. Within about 60 yards, I found him piled up and already starting to bloat. He had obviously run to that spot and fallen over dead, as he was laying with is head under him.

Cutting the tag is always the scariest part of a hunt, so I had to check and double check I did it right.

We quartered and skinned it and put it into game bags and I then headed to Belgrade to get it into a cooler and had it skinned and hanging in a cooler by 3:30 in the afternoon...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Only trouble with that is now you gotta eat the stupid thing.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very nice, Shrapnel!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very well done sir!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice job....always nice when things work out just like they are supposed too.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always baffled by the number of game kill pics that show green grass, sunny weather, birds chirping, etc., while the hunter looks like he just stepped out of the dry-cleaners.

By contrast, my pics look like I just survived The Bataan Death March, in weather that would kill an Eskimo.

I am doing something really wrong. frown

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Always baffled by the number of game kill pics that show green grass, sunny weather, birds chirping, etc., while the hunter looks like he just stepped out of the dry-cleaners.

By contrast, my pics look like I just survived The Bataan Death March, in weather that would kill an Eskimo.

I am doing something really wrong. frown

Post some up.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Good stuff... Congratulations!

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Good job. I always liked hunting them with a bow and arrow cause it always forced me to bring the right ammo. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/06/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice one!!

Great job on the deflate 😎

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Congrats! My preferred plan A on deer is to kill by 10 and be home by 2.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
👍

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Congratulations ! Should have salted the arrow as hot as it is smile. Great thing about Montana’s general rifle is it’s usually cooler so you have a little time to get the elk broken down. Blazing hot archery season and the elk is starting to go bad as it’s falling to the ground !

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure glad you came back to post pics of stuff you actually do.

We need more of that around here.

As Conrad said to someone, we want to see pics of this stuff one tells stories about.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

622 members (1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 81 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,309
Posts18,449,150
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.