-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was bored over the weekend so I decided to get the R7 out and test a few different pellets that I have accumulated. I shot 5) 5 shot groups from 25 yards. All from a plastic shooting table with a Caldwell Rock Jr front rest and bag rear rest. It was hot as heck out so I only shot 1 group of each then had to get back to the AC.
Happy to find that the cheap Crosman Premier Hollow Points performed excellent, even better than the very expensive JSB Exacts. Although more testing will probably put the JSB's ahead due to the quality of the pellets. As expected the pointed Crosman Copperheads were not very good. One surprise to me was the RWS Diabolo Basics. These have been my preference indoors at short (10yd) range. Outdoors they really opened up. There was a very light breeze and the flat nose/poor bc showed. Beman Bearcubs were right in the middle as far as accuracy. Anyway, fun way to waste an hour or so.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice shooting!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Squirrels beware.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good information. What brand scope mounts are you using? Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Scope is a Nikon 3-9x40 EFR (too bad they quit making this one) mounts are Beeman. Very fun little rifle and shows that a springer can be accurate - even off a rest.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, didn't they make a model w/that gold trigger? Seems they did with the R9 in 20 cal.

Nice shooting. JSBs and Premiers are a great 'Go to' for many airguns for accuracy.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My R9 has a gold trigger also. Not sure if it signifies anything or not. They are both the 'Record' triggers and excellent.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by centershot
. Very fun little rifle and shows that a springer can be accurate - even off a rest.

I agree. I've never had any problems with accuracy from spring guns off a rest. The only issue for me is that the point of impact can shift dramatically when shot with no sandbag rest vs a sandbag rest. I've found that I need to zero the rifle resting the forearm on my hand, not directly on the bag like I would with a 22LR or centerfire rifle.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Back in the 90's they sold a combo named the Goldfinger that had the gold trigger and a Japanese B&L 4-12 with AO.
I have one in .20 but I don't know if they came in other calibers.

Also, my Goldfinger feels like butter compared to newer ones (which are terriffic). I don't know if they did anything special with the Goldfingers or if all the old ones feel like they came from the Weihrauch custom shop.

But these days you see both gold and silver triggers. It may be that Beeman wants gold now (they buy the guns from Weihrauch).

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Very nice shooting 👍

In my experience, it seems the only rifles that really seem to like pointed pellets are cheaper multipump pneumatics. I've got a pair of Daisy 901s and a Crosman 362 that strongly favor pointed pellets of assorted brands over any domes, wadcutters, or HPs. Never had a break or PCP shoot them all that well, though.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by zcm82
Very nice shooting 👍

In my experience, it seems the only rifles that really seem to like pointed pellets are cheaper multipump pneumatics. I've got a pair of Daisy 901s and a Crosman 362 that strongly favor pointed pellets of assorted brands over any domes, wadcutters, or HPs. Never had a break or PCP shoot them all that well, though.

My old FWB 124 always shot the Beman Silver Jets extremely well. It seems like my R9 did o.k. with them as well, but Beeman quit selling them. I believe the same pellet is now sold as the H&N Silver Point.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Timbo
Originally Posted by zcm82
Very nice shooting 👍

My old FWB 124 always shot the Beman Silver Jets extremely well. It seems like my R9 did o.k. with them as well, but Beeman quit selling them. I believe the same pellet is now sold as the H&N Silver Point.

Mine too, I loved those pellets! But mine shot pretty much everything well. They didn’t build them to shoot supersonic, they built them to be accurate. I still have it and shot it recently.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Timbo

I haven't tried those, but I've had the H&N Excite Spikes and H&N Spitzkugels shoot very well from a couple pumpers.

Both of my 901s love the Norma Superpoints. I recently bought some of those in 22 to try through the 362, but haven't gotten around to shooting them yet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.