R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by renegade50
Research about the simple sugars and nutrients from fruits your brain needs.
Eat them while on a keto diet no matter what others via urban legend say.
Lots of studies on this related to keto and brain sugars and other nutrients it needs .
Forcing your body into ketosis via diet is really not a natrual thing.
In Ketosis the body will seek the nutrients it needs, some of these are stored in the brain, others in fat thruout the body and in organs.
Once those internal reserves are being tapped and being exhausted is when brain issues start.

Seen people go bonkers while on keto because their brain is starving for simple natrual sugars to run right

Not talking outta my azz on this, the research concerning keto and the brain basically starving for fuel is out their.

People dont like to be told this.

This isn't true.

The brain is very efficient at burning ketones.

It takes some a second to convert over to using it efficiently as a fuel, thus the fog and irritability, but most report a heightened sense of mental clarity and focus once in full ketosis (> 2 mmol). Such effects are easily observed in multi-day fasts.

It is very natural that our brain has evolved with a starvation mode, our ancestors spent most of their lives in starvation ketosis.

Also, the keto diet gained medicinal fame in patients with epilepsy, because it diminished seizure activity. The navy has used it extensively for deep divers, who are prone to seizures post rapid rise.
I have read both sides of the alternating state of it and the long term permanent state of it.

The long term effects of the keto diet beyond the initial phase of the body being flushed of nutrients are damaging.
Levels and balances need to be maintained at levels above and below a center line.
Going below or above levels to the extremes is not good.
Keto dieting is damaging long term.
It becomes almost cult like with the person having to be in ketosis because it has become their new norm with their behavioral changes and the shift into what the body is forced to accept for fuel not what the body needs for fuel.
It is akin to we used to run on 87 gasoline now we have to accept flex fuel

Yes our ancestors long ago lived on the border line of ketosis.
But they didnt drive themselves fully into it in a damaging state long term purposefully. Because they became hunter gathers with a varied diet to offset a permanent state of long term ketosis.
Evolution basically of the bodies systems.
Basing the Keto analogy of the modern human system to that of humans of 10s of thousands of years ago is a justification used which is not applicable.
It's nice to use as a dismissive alibi but that is about it.

And what you describe basically is a bouncing state back and forth of ketosis, not permanent long term ketosis like some people plunge themselves into.
The fasting state and temporary use of it for a purpose is beneficial in many ways, but while doing this people return to the norm they did prior.
These types never stay in permanent ketosis long term for 6 months to years on end.

Off course everyone can read research on both sides different and see what they want to see themselves for what they are looking for.

Me..
Damaging effect of it.

Others
Positive effects of it.

I've never heard anything negative about Keto but would like to learn more. Do you have any links or info you could share? A list of the good fruits would be much appreciated too. FWIW, I've been listening to the "Whole 30" on Audible and that's been very helpful and more in alignment with what you're proposing than a straight Keto diet.
Google fu it .
The world is at your finger tips
👍👍👍

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard anything negative about keto

JFC

Dr Mercola must live in the spare bedroom

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
Increase of ‘bad’ cholesterol
bone density depletion

Be prepared to take a couple handfuls of suppliments a day to counter the losses

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am normally on a low carb, high fat diet, recently started 18/6 fasting on top of LCHF. This week I am trying 100% Carnivore, which is not easy because I like variety. Dinner last night was ribs and egg salad. Carnivore is an attempt to kick my body out of its current plateau.

This is not for weight loss, although dropping another 20 pounds would be nice. My main priority is reversing Type 2 diabetes. Due to 10 months of LCHF diet, my blood sugar has dropped from a 240 average to 105. A1C has dropped from 11.4 to 5.9.

In case you haven't noticed the epidemic of obesity, Big Food is doing their best to kill us with their low fat marketing and food pyramids. The stupid doctors are in large part treating a dietary disease (Type 2 Diabetes) with insulin and metformin. These are merely masking the issue, encouraging folks to eat more of the wrong food. Look at the food labels sometime- high fructose corn syrup and carbs are killers.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am about to head to the gym for the first time after standing on a boat for the last 4 months.

This is gonna hurt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
If Happy Camper was here we could get the pure, true Dr Mercola break down.

Complete with copy/paste internet grabs to make himself believable and credible.

His dissertation on brass keys sticking to human foreheads after a flu shot was so enlightening and believable.

When you have lived it and know the effects on your own body, you don't need the advice of naysayers to tell you differently. My "internet grab" would be "My life without insulin and country cow doctors trying to kill me."

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You made great strides with your A1-C

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just to be clear…don’t tell you miss Happy Camper though. No?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
I am normally on a low carb, high fat diet, recently started 18/6 fasting on top of LCHF. This week I am trying 100% Carnivore, which is not easy because I like variety. Dinner last night was ribs and egg salad. Carnivore is an attempt to kick my body out of its current plateau.

This is not for weight loss, although dropping another 20 pounds would be nice. My main priority is reversing Type 2 diabetes. Due to 10 months of LCHF diet, my blood sugar has dropped from a 240 average to 105. A1C has dropped from 11.4 to 5.9.

In case you haven't noticed the epidemic of obesity, Big Food is doing their best to kill us with their low fat marketing and food pyramids. The stupid doctors are in large part treating a dietary disease (Type 2 Diabetes) with insulin and metformin. These are merely masking the issue, encouraging folks to eat more of the wrong food. Look at the food labels sometime- high fructose corn syrup and carbs are killers.

can't argue with those results

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Been on Keto for over 6 months now.

Loss 35 pounds, loss the pain from my joints, mental acuity is better, 59 years old, BP went from 145/90 to 120/78, no longer taking anti-reflux meds, no longer pre-diabetic, feel much better overall.

I eat twice a day. I eat a lot in those two sittings. I do not eat between meals and never buy any keto crap that big food sells. Simple one ingredient food is the best. Everyday I eat a few blackberries, blueberries, and pecans. Beyond that it is limited leafy greens and plenty of fatty meats, butter, eggs, certain cheeses.

It is no longer a diet, it is just the way I eat now.

Yup, me too. The wife dropped 24 pounds doing OMAD after she saw how it was working for me. All my numbers have improved some, not dramatically, but still better. Still fat, but not officially obese any more. Want to lose another twenty or so, but am content to do it more slowly than the initial drop doing <20 carbs. I’ve proven to myself that I can maintain without any effort or “deprivation”. I feel like I eat a LOT.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

JFC

bone density depletion

Be prepared to take a couple handfuls of suppliments a day to counter the losses

Slum, my total cholesterol went up a bit, but LDL only a touch, while HDL jumped much more. My ratio improved a good bit. Since my calcium scan score was zero, it’s not a concern at all.

Everybody’s different, but this is working for me. No diabetes, no statins, and I’m eating very well, fresh veggies, meat, eggs, butter, EVOO, fish, cheese. Fugg a bunch of bread and taters.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

JFC

bone density depletion

The things you listed are problematic with the standard American diet.

It is easy to find “research” to validate one’s beliefs (including me) no matter what it is.

I take some supplements, but it is far better than medicine for reflux, high blood pressure, and diabetes. I am pretty certain my daily intake of vitamins and minerals is far more balanced the most people’s.

My bad cholesterol is up, but so is my good cholesterol. Ratio is much better. Triglycerides are great. Now there are studies saying cholesterol is not the contributing factor for heart disease that the studies funded by the drug companies led us to believe. Big pharma wouldn’t lie to us would they?

Other studies show eating red meat loaded with protein and fat along with real salt not the crap Morton sells is good for bone strength.

I am happy with Keto/Fasting/Carnivore. It has worked for me. It is not something you can cheat on, it needs to be a lifestyle change. There is nothing I miss from my old way of eating.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like to do the low carb thing when my weight gets of hand. When I’m not on it I’ll start snacking here and there (ice cream is my kryptonite) and then it spirals out of control. The low carb diet puts me on the wagon so to speak. I’m down 32 pounds in the last 2 months.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

JFC

bone density depletion

The things you listed are problematic with the standard American diet.

It is easy to find “research” to validate one’s beliefs (including me) no matter what it is.

I take some supplements, but it is far better than medicine for reflux, high blood pressure, and diabetes. I am pretty certain my daily intake of vitamins and minerals is far more balanced the most people’s.

My bad cholesterol is up, but so is my good cholesterol. Ratio is much better. Triglycerides are great. Now there are studies saying cholesterol is not the contributing factor for heart disease that the studies funded by the drug companies led us to believe. Big pharma wouldn’t lie to us would they?

Other studies show eating red meat loaded with protein and fat along with real salt not the crap Morton sells is good for bone strength.

I am happy with Keto/Fasting/Carnivore. It has worked for me. It is not something you can cheat on, it needs to be a lifestyle change. There is nothing I miss from my old way of eating.

What type of salt do you prefer?
The pink stuff?
Sea salt?

A favorite brand?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Redmond’s salt from an ancient lake bed in Utah or some bs like that.

My thinking is I may die tomorrow of who knows what, but I plan to die healthy and active.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Low carb diet works. That isn't keto. Gluconeogenesis is a thing and results from meat and veggies. That means you aren't in ketosis.

Prick your finger and test blood ketones. You'll start to learn about your own metabolism quickly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

My thinking is I may die tomorrow of who knows what, but I plan to die healthy and active.

So what’s wrong with Morton’s? Is it the iodine you disagree with? Salt is salt. Unless I’m missing something.

MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There's Morton's with and without on the shelf
here, and the the generic with and without on
a different shelf in a nearly identical package.
There's also pickling salt without iodine, etc.

Lotta people eat too much of one thing at one
time instead of in moderation

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

So what’s wrong with Morton’s? Is it the iodine you disagree with? Salt is salt. Unless I’m missing something.

It all depends who you want to believe.

Regular table salts are bleached and contain little to no trace minerals. Some add a type of aluminum for anti caking (bad for the brain)

90% of sea salt tested in one study contained micro plastic due to the pollution in the ocean.

Salts like Redmond’s contain calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron etc and are cleaner.

Is it what will eventually kill you? Very unlikely. I look at it as a small piece of trying to live a little healthier.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Low carb diet works. That isn't keto. Gluconeogenesis is a thing and results from meat and veggies. That means you aren't in ketosis.

Prick your finger and test blood ketones. You'll start to learn about your own metabolism quickly.
Gluconeogenesis happens to a greater or lessor extent all the time depending on how your blood sugar cycles. I have eaten like that and been in keto just fine with testing strips. When I do keto I eat clean meat and mixed veggies, no sugar, no starch. When I say clean meat, I mean game meat or grass fed etc, not grain fed stuff. A lot has been said about nutrients here. If you eat meat that's healthy and eats nutrient rich food, and you also eat green leafy and mixed veggies, you get plenty of nutrients. If you eat cured bacon, cheese, and empty calorie grain fed meat, you're eating unhealthy food, and therefore will be unhealthy.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My main motivation besides being at a healthier weight is to fit in my wetsuit for my dive trip instead of spending $400 on a new one because I'm a hippo. When I jump in the water, I don't want to capsize the boat. And I'd prefer not to wear 20 pounds of weight to sink because I float like a buoy LOL.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.