Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17580524 09/05/22
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Not sure we’re they’re going with this new early and late season in Va.
Rifle season came in this past Saturday for does only and will be in till 09/30 .
Then late season will start in the middle of January and run until March .
These extended seasons will be only for certain counties Page county being the only one west of blue ridge I believe.
This makes for lousy early season hunting temperature wise and for ticks and fleas along with other pestilence.
Also throws a monkey wrench into early archery season.
Which runs through the month of October.
A good many not happy with it .
Then the late season goes into a time frame when they will be pregnant .
Seems absurd that anyone would want to harvest a deer with a youngin in its belly .
Kind of makes you feel like they’re deliberately trying to paint a bad picture of us .
Then several years ago they started a summer season on squirrel, in June!
Who the hell wants to eat squirrels in June , a lot of nasty critters on them too .
WTH are they trying to do ?
Kenneth

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ll have to ask my son about that. Forget the county he hunts in, but he and his boy were killing doves over the weekend on their club lease.

I’m with you on the warm weather pestilence. The WV bow season opens the 24th. I’ll be out there trying to fill my Earn-a-Buck quota, but am hoping for a break in the heat.

A gallon of permethrin arrived yesterday, so I’ll be ready for the little crawly bastards. Also turned on my Zoleo satellite tracker, my Leash as the wife calls it so they’ll know where to find the body.

My guess is they want to kill deer in places with too many. Hope the button bucks don’t take the hit too badly.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Thermacell. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
@kenneth66

I just had to look up the DWR (i.e. DGIF) regs again, and you are right.... Page 41, bottom right corner: Early & Late Antlerless Only Firearms Deer Season: Sept 1st - 30th and Jan 8th - Mar 26th. BUT ONLY SPECIFIC COUNTIES (mainly in NOVA, i.e. Fauquier, Loudon, etc...)

That is gonna seriously mess up early bow season for lots of folks!! shocked

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
This is the second year for the early/late antlerless season. I think it has more to do with hoping to control the herd, with CWD continuing to spread. If you look at the map I will bet most of the counties that have the additional season are counties hit the hardest with CWD. The deer are so thick on a nearby farm hunters on the lease are required to take 2/3 doe before they take a second buck from the property. But there motto is we grow world class produce not game animals.

Last edited by jlink280; 09/06/22.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
NOVA is awash in deer. I think in NOVA and some other cities there is no limit on does.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember when my daughter & son-in-law moved up near Manassas (she accepted a high paying teacher job) about 5-6 years ago. Every time my wife and I drove up there to visit, have lunch, etc... Seriously... you literally had to STOP on 234 and let a massive herd of deer cross the main road! shocked

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
There’s a early season for bear here always way to hot

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
It’s too hot now and too many little fawns. The first cold spell in late September will get me working on the earn a buck does, though.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Just as I finished typing the post above, my daughter informed me there are several deer in the front yard eating the landscaping…tempting.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
There were ALWAYS a chit-ton of deer at Camp A.P. Hill in Virginia, too. I was told that it was closed to "normal folks" and that the congresscritters used it as their private reserve. We spent a couple of Octobers there on "off-post exercises" when I was in the Army, and during our stays there, you could drive down any road, stick your arm out, and see deer wherever you pointed. Turkeys, too. That was pretty awesome for me, as when I'd get back to Ft. Bragg, I'd go on leave to hunt back home in Missouri. It really got me going.
We had a lot of fun there.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fort AP Hill.... Wow, I remember that place! As a retired military veteran (US Coast Guard), I was told I could hunt there, if I wished. You had to attend a safety seminar/video, and pay a $50 fee (if I remember right - on top of your normal DGIF license), and you're all set.

They'd assign you a TA (Training Area), where you could setup, and quite literally take your pick of any deer. The freakin' place was so overloaded, it looked like a game preserve, you know what I mean? shocked

BUT... It all came down to the, um, *ahem* military game wardens. If for some reason, they got their panties in a twist, they'd assign you a completely bare TA, and there are NO DEER IN SIGHT! Example: You get assigned TA-24. But yet right next door, you can take your binos, and glass the area into the distance. You see TA-25, and it is LOADED with deer, and no one is hunting it! You get pi$$ed, pack up, and drive back to the game warden shack, and (politely) ask "W"hiskey "T"ango "F"oxtrot!!! mad

Never again.... "F" that place.... mad

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Really?

I can’t imagine anything more fun than guttin’ and draggin’ a stinky, greasy ol’ bear in 80 degree weather🤔

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Really?

I can’t imagine anything more fun than guttin’ and draggin’ a stinky, greasy ol’ bear in 80 degree weather🤔
My thoughts exactly 🤢

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent more than half of my 25 year navy career in VA. One of the most screwed up states in the nation. Everything they do is weird. One day after I retired from active duty I hauled A$$ out of that cesspool.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by MAC
Spent more than half of my 25 year navy career in VA. One of the most screwed up states in the nation. Everything they do is weird. One day after I retired from active duty I hauled A$$ out of that cesspool.
You was in the wrong area of Virginia anywhere near Norfolk or Virginia Beach needs to be annexed as well as northern Virginia

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The season(s) appear to coincide with the DMAP program.

Way too many deer in a good portion of the state[especially in NOVA]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The weirdest thing about Virginia is the mish mash of rules by county. You can hunt with rifles from the ground in one eastern county, then move west to the next and its shotgun only, then move west again and its rifles from a tree stand. You have to look at each county individually for their rules and seasons. It's just dumb.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
My county has ordinance “cannot discharge a firearm” within 100 yards of a state road”but I can drive to either county bordering and people are lined up beside the state roads waiting for a spike buck to cross

Last edited by earlybrd; 09/07/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I totally agree with all these posts....

Now, you all know why I (a resident of Henrico Co - western suburbs of Richmond) absolutely REFUSE to hunt anywhere near the metro WMA's or Piedmont areas, etc... It is a complete joke, as rules change year by year, depending who has the power over the DGIF.

I don't care about driving 2½ - 3 hours west from Richmond, out to the Blue Ridge Mountains, to get away from everyone and everything. It's peaceful, relaxful, and you feel like nothing in the world can bother you, when you are up in the mountains all by yourself. cool

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

592 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,796
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.