Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've done several but this time after removing barreled action the bedding feels slightly tacky. Think I didn't put in quite enough hardener. With a point of a knife I can make a mark in the bedding. I'm using bedrock and really hoping I didn't have to dig it out. I was thinking I could put a film of grease over the bedding and put the rifle together and reduce the chance that it sticks to the bedding or make up another batch and skim coat it, whats your thoughts. Like said it did harden but not completely if I can make a mark in it I think. It's a Rem 700 and has been sitting for 48 hours.

Last edited by DANNYL; 09/07/22.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My advice is to leave it alone for another week and see if it hardens. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good idea Al, thanks.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Most of the time (not all) too little hardener will still get the job done, as Al said, it just takes longer.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Warm area might also help.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DANNYL
I've done several but this time after removing barreled action the bedding feels slightly tacky. Think I didn't put in quite enough hardener. With a point of a knife I can make a mark in the bedding. I'm using bedrock and really hoping I didn't have to dig it out. I was thinking I could put a film of grease over the bedding and put the rifle together and reduce the chance that it sticks to the bedding or make up another batch and skim coat it, whats your thoughts. Like said it did harden but not completely if I can make a mark in it I think. It's a Rem 700 and has been sitting for 48 hours.

Throw it in the freezer buddy... Or wait another week. See if it hardens up. If you are in a hurry, put it in the freezer overnight and re-do it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Heat tends to make epoxies cure faster. Maybe it's upstate NY and there was a little bit less hardener than indicated and it's in a cool garage or workshop. The difference between cure times in my air conditioned shop here in summer (75 deg) vs putting epoxy outside in 100 degrees (25 degree temp change) is huge. With some epoxies the small increase in temperature makes it setup 2x as fast and with others it's 3-4x as fast. When I lived in the north I had to take my rifle bedding jobs into the house to get them to set. They would not set up in the garage.

Not sure I understand the fridge comment.

DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It was done in the house and still is. About 72 in here no ac for several days now. I looked at it today and I can actually press my fingernail in it but going to give it time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TX35W

Yeah....freezing epoxy to make it hard doesn't make it cure. crazy

Good shootin -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Good shootin -Al

Freezing it will allow him to pop it out of the stock and start over. Are you really that fu cking stupid? Are you a democrat? That's a general practice if you don't use enough release agent as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good shootin -Al

Freezing it will allow him to pop it out of the stock and start over. Are you really that fu cking stupid? Are you a democrat? That's a general practice if you don't use enough release agent as well.

Actually...I think you should reread the OP's post.

Last edited by TX35W; 09/07/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Good shootin -Al

He did mention that "after removing barreled action the bedding feels slightly tacky." He doesn't seem to have an issue with popping it out. wink grin

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good shootin -Al

BullSchittArtist is a Stick wannabe that has to make a comment, regardless, to let everyone know how brilliant he is, and how stupid everyone else is. A true legend in his own mind.... hang on for a few and he'll post up some target pictures......the same ones he's posted a hundred times.

Take the advice of Al and TX. Give it some time and heat.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good shootin -Al

Mr. Passive Aggressive strikes again.
And apparently has reading comprehension challenges as well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another thing that I've found helpful after initially popping the barrelled action out of the bedding:

Do the clean up....radiusing edges, etc. Then, put a coat of release wax on all the surfaces and put the barreled action back into the stock and snug the screws down. Let it sit for another 24-48 hrs and then take it back apart. This helps stabilize the bedding as it continues to cure. If you do this w/o a release wax, you'll be surprised at the bits of bedding that can come up when you pull it apart...a sign that it's continuing to cure.

Bedding that is technically 'cured' per the mfgs recommended time will often continue to harden over the next 24-48 hours. When you get in there with a sharp end mill to clean things up, you can hear the difference in hardness as it cuts.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Al, well I looked at this morning and it felt softer than it did, peeled up an edge on the barrel channel with ease. It didn't adhere to the roughed up wood at all and I pulled a little and see it was all like that and pulled on it like a zipper and the entire bedding pulled right out with ease. I roughed the wood up a little to be sure there wasn't and residue and rebedded it. 6 hours I pulled it apart and it felt about completely hard, did some clean up and tomorrow or the next day should be able to put it together. I have no idea what happened the first time but that stuff afterwards felt like pliable rubber. This batch I stirred it for 5 minutes where the last time less than 3 and I also didn't add any color this time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you use Bedrock again? -Al

Forbidden Zoner
DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yes from the same containers

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't Bedrock specify a 24 hour cure time?

Forbidden Zoner
DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just looked and yes it does, didn't see it before. I've only done a few and when my mixing container was hard I pulled them apart, cleaned up some of material, put on more release agent and put it back together till the next day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

634 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,312
Posts18,449,215
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.