Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Curious how many of you carry a handgun while archery hunting. Here in Pa you need your carry permit to have a handgun on you while archery hunting. Reason I would do it would simply be for bear. Brother had one at the base of his tree one year that refused to leave, even after he stood up and yelled at it. That kind of bear behavior kind of freaks me out. There are plenty of bears here in Pa, and besides hunting, I like to walk on game lands. So I am thinking of getting a 10mm something and carrying it with hard cast. May never need it...

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nope, I don’t carry.
Hunted in Alaska and guide had a big rifle.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My wife insists on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have ever since the introduction of wolves.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't as much as I should. Also for bears with attitudes.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Curious how many of you carry a handgun while archery hunting. Here in Pa you need your carry permit to have a handgun on you while archery hunting. Reason I would do it would simply be for bear. Brother had one at the base of his tree one year that refused to leave, even after he stood up and yelled at it. That kind of bear behavior kind of freaks me out. There are plenty of bears here in Pa, and besides hunting, I like to walk on game lands. So I am thinking of getting a 10mm something and carrying it with hard cast. May never need it...

Got dang, PA is about as stupid as commie Cali. Can't open carry there??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Only if I’m wearing pants, just like always. We can carry for self-defense, but can’t use it for hunting while carrying a bow, not even to pop a squirrel.

Used the little LCP2 .22 to finish a buck a couple years ago. Strictly speaking, it was illegal, but both the buck and I had had enough by then.

Did the same with a doe shot during ML season some years back, but with a snubby .38. Couldn’t get another load down the barrel in the middle of a sleet storm in the dark, so I put the laser on her head and popped her to settle it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Nope, illegal to carry any firearm while archery hunting here, including cc handguns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by zcm82
Nope, illegal to carry any firearm while archery hunting here, including cc handguns.
Same here in New York. Just another example of a State that doesn't give a shyt about the safety of it's citizens or their right to self defense.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did along our southern border...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Got dang, PA is about as stupid as commie Cali. Can't open carry there??
The way I understand it is we can open carry, just not while archery hunting. The regs state that no firearms permitted while archery hunting unless you have a carry permit, then you may carry a handgun

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Yes I do, in my state if you have a license to carry you may carry a handgun when archery hunting. You may carry a revolver or semi auto but you may not finish off your deer with them.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I don’t all the time, if calling elk in grizzly county, I will carry.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We had 4 archery hunters slammed griz in one mountain drainage in just a few days a year. or two ago. Good reason to carry bear spray and handgun.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 09/07/22.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I carry a 45 for pigs, one of us may need some relief.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by dale06
Nope, I don’t carry.
Hunted in Alaska and guide had a big rifle.

To each their own but you have one hell of a lot more faith in your fellow man than I do.

Not a chance in hell I would intentionally put my life in the hands of someone else when I could have the ability to protect myself. I have seen far too many "professionals" freeze up when things got ugly. "Spotlight Rangers" They were big talkers but when it came time for a fight, they froze up.

I will rely on my own ability before that of someone else. I carry a gun any time I am in the woods with predators.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Always. Highly Recommend the Glock Model 20 10mm.
I carry mine with 16 rounds of Buffalo Boar 220 gr Hard Cast Outdoorsman Load.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Funny you should mention the Glock 20, I was in a gun store last week and handled one in 10 mm. That one is the main one I am considering.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
We had 4 archery hunters slammed griz in one mountain drainage in just a few days a year. or two ago. Good reason to carry bear spray and handgun.

A couple of years ago I walked up on a hog I shot in SC. I had given it 10 minutes after it stopped moving like I always do, then gathered my gear got out of my stand and walked to it. I got out my camera and took a pic from the side, then walked to the front and took another picture. When the flash went off that sucker jumped up and was making a growling noise that I never heard from a pig before and came at me. I was only 5 feet away and had my rifle slung over my shoulder but had my Kahr .40 S&W on my hip, I drew and fires at the same time and killed him at my feet with a shot to the head. It took a couple of hours for my adrenalin to subside. Here he is.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Funny you should mention the Glock 20, I was in a gun store last week and handled one in 10 mm. That one is the main one I am considering.

Hard to beat, IMO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.