Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not a BBF, a true SXS combo??

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have looked at a couple at gun shows, "guild guns" I guess, no makers names, and seller knew nothing about them. One was real sweet, 16x 25/35. With my limited knowledge I would need to buy from a trusted seller/dealer. Not high on my list as I have two drillings to play with, but always curious.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wish! I had one at one time which came from my mom's dad but my father made me sell it. I was 13-14, something like that. Not much I could do about the situation.

It was a damned nice gun. Built between 1908 and 1910 so far as I could tell. 12 gauge x .30-40 krag, SxS config, 30 inch barrels, peep sight for the .30-40 barrel. I never could figure out quite who made it but the proof markings and small amount of stamped letters suggested Austria.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does a combo gun with a "Gangster Twist" count?

Last edited by erich; 09/07/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have one that I am working on getting up and running. Wife's family heirloom.

20 gauge 2-1/2" X 9.3x72R, Have 9.3 cases but dies and 2-1/2" shotshells are hard to find right now...

[Linked Image]

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your cape gun looks great, nice combo for the northwoods 20ga/9.3x72R

A Mec 600 is easy to change over to 2 1/2" or you can us cut down new primed hulls and roll crimp them, no press needed.

A mec with the 2 1/2" plate, the black plate on the left side.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Roll crimping set up
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 09/08/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the ideas. Wishing I hadn't sold my MEC sizemaster press a ways back. Still have quite a few components though, may need to locate a 600.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Grab some low velocity 20 gauge target loads and go have fun. You might find a 20 gauge long forcing cone reamer and make a long taper.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...also...

If you can find some Trail Boss powder and 95gr Makarov .365 diameter bullets it makes for a funashell light 9,3X72R round. I just fill the cases with 14 grains of the Trail Boss and top it with the little Makarov pill.

I DON"T RECOMMEND ANYONE USE THIS DATA! WORK UP YOUR OWN.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've hunted with this Sauer cape gun two-barrel set for years. It's 12/12 and 12/8X57JR.

I shot a Steenbok and warthog with it in 2000 and countless chuckar and grouse with the 12 SXS barrels. I might be buried with this gun.

I blundered onto it at the old Big Reno Show at a price I couldn't pass up and was just lukewarm about my purchase. That all changed when I went five for five on ruffed grouse up in the Yaak that fall.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tips. I had thought about the Makarov bullets for plinkers, but couldn't even source those the last time I looked.

My friend who fixed the cracked wrist on this stock thought that 2 3/4" clay loads would be fine, but I'm a little leery as the barrel walls are pretty light. The gun was originally proofed for black powder and re-proofed for smokeless and copper bullets in 1920.

The rib on this Buchseflinte has widened rib sections and a side notch for a scope mount and are not like the AKAH claw mounts I am familiar with. Do the rings on yours mount like this? Hard to tell from the pictures.

[Linked Image]

Thanks again for the info and love the Llewellins, makes me miss mine.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That is probably a proprietary mount, particular to the gunmaker. It looks like a fine design, IMO, but I doubt you'll find anything close to it. Measure the width and see if it could be adapted to accept SAKO front rings. A small stud could be installed in the rear ringset, like in the much smaller width SAKO rear ring.

I'll bet it would work. How wide is the rib? About 5/8" to 3/4" might work. The bases would need the proper taper.

Here is a picture of the SAKO rings.

Last edited by luv2safari; 09/08/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting, one of my shooting buddies is very handy with his mill... I'll need to do some measuring.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I could send you one of my rear bases for you to try, see if it would be adaptable. wink I might have a base with boogered rings here somewhere, also. It has the same base clamp arrangement. I'll look around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the offer. Your replies have me thinking. I am going to dig up a set of rings I have buried somewhere that are for the dovetail on top of a Kelbly's Panda action. I think it may be a relatively simple solution (with modification) that is narrow enough to clear the tops of barrels on either side.

Was out shooting a 500 yard match this morning, but time for some measuring!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had a 8x57jr X 16 gage, open sight s hunted with it one deer season. Shot a big button buck near the end of the season with it. At about 60 yrds, thought it was a doe!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (2UP, 338reddog, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.