Print Thread
Hop To
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Huntsman22 picture in the Helinox Cot thread >the one wheel rig is interesting.

I searched 'one wheel hand carts' and saw hordes of builds used to haul equipment overland, haul out big game, some even with battery powered electric motors and brakes. All looked like they were quite heavy made, some would haul 300#.

I sat and pondered a little rig similar to some I saw in the search, thinking something very lightweight that could be towed behind while backpacking. The thought came to mind every time I was carrying a heavy pack.

Any backpackers here know of anything like that or someone who built something like that. I'm talking about something super lightweight not some wheel barrel rig.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We've tried a pack wheel before a few times to pack meat out. We walk it up and stash it. If there are trails or easy to traverse terrain and you are going down or level you can move a lot of weight with relative ease.

If you do not have the above items or go offtrail at all, they are a PIA.

I'm personally not a fan due to where I hunt and my terrain....

IMO of course....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To clarify, are you talking something akin to a pulk, but with a wheel instead of a sled?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Good ‘ol pedal bike with racks/panniers.

Easier to stabilize, rideable, carry lots of weight, relatively easy to get over logs/obstacles, not carrying any of the weight.

Pitter Patter!
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike:

The feds do not allow anything with a wheel or a motor in a wilderness area. So a single wheel cart cannot be used in a wilderness area.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Wouldn’t work for me and I just go for walks in the woods

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
To clarify, are you talking something akin to a pulk, but with a wheel instead of a sled?

I should have checked Youtube better.
Something similar to this.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by KC
Mike:

The feds do not allow anything with a wheel or a motor in a wilderness area. So a single wheel cart cannot be used in a wilderness area.

KC,
Hello.
I knew wilderness areas didn't allow wheeled outfits.
I think they're allowed in National Forest, I think about anything goes on BLM land ,,, for now..

Posted by Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
A novel idea and I commend the designer/inventor. However, the only application I can see that working is on a very well defined and wide trail. And in Colorado, big game and perfectly groomed trails seldom intersect. I have yet to shoot an elk where any sort of game cart would have helped. About the only thing that comes close to being viable, are those two-wheel drive motorcycles, Rokons. But they, or any motorized, and even non-motorized bikes, are not allowed off designed trails in national forest land. So for now, it's my two legs and achy back.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GregW
We've tried a pack wheel before a few times to pack meat out. We walk it up and stash it. If there are trails or easy to traverse terrain and you are going down or level you can move a lot of weight with relative ease.

If you do not have the above items or go offtrail at all, they are a PIA.

I'm personally not a fan due to where I hunt and my terrain....

IMO of course....

been there done that with game carts, e bikes and one wheels on east side west and western states

Off trail they are a major PIA especially in steep areas, screes, drop off offs and dead fall. Plus as mentioned continuing to crack down on any wheeled carts

Back to square one. lol

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've tried a number of different wheeled pack carts. In the end, I concluded that none of them help in anything other than ideal conditions which I apparently never found. I did once use a common wheelbarrow which worked but it was all on an old logging road and 95% downhill. Over all, boning and backpacking was still the easiest...until I bought some llamas.
One thing that's seldom mentioned is the labor involved in getting the cart to the animal. Even an empty cart can get darn heavy going up steep hills.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've tried a number of different wheeled pack carts. In the end, I concluded that none of them help in anything other than ideal conditions which I apparently never found. I did once use a common wheelbarrow which worked but it was all on an old logging road and 95% downhill. Over all, boning and backpacking was still the easiest...until I bought some llamas.
One thing that's seldom mentioned is the labor involved in getting the cart to the animal. Even an empty cart can get darn heavy going up steep hills.

wheeled carts work great in thick high sage brush and steep slopes going up and down lol

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have had a Cabelas 2 wheeled game cart for around 20 years and it was one of the best investments I have ever made. I have used it in the back country of the Adirondacks many times and it makes bringing out a buck almost easy. Forget about bushwhacking with it, it ain’t going to work. Usually I’m no further than a mile from the nearest hiking trail, this is the hard part, getting the deer to the trail. I’ll try and head to the trail using the down hill route if possible, even if it takes me further into the bush. Once the deer is to the trail, hike out double time to the cart. Once the deer is loaded and properly balanced, it’s a piece of cake. You can even jog going down hill!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your trails must be a lot wider and flatter than ours. Any cart wider than your feet will be a rough haul over our rocks and steep sidehills.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
we broke one 2 wheel cart once in some real rough country , i have tried a single wheel cart too balancing can be a problem sometimes and that means extra work, in country that is not too rough we have had good luck with a takedown to fit in truck is a cart sold at Cabela`s 2 wheel axel that i have duals on each side and that cart has hauled many elk and deer out . this Cabelas cart will hull out one regular elk quartered but a bigger bull elk quartered and caped head it will take two trips. mules that are used to haul meat out of the mountains are still the best. wish you good safe luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Dixon Rollerpack has a smaller wheel, and has straps you put on to pull it. One cart can hold 50 lbs and another can hold 75 lbs. Quite a lot. It frees up your hands to hold your rifle or such.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Just remember you cannot use it in Federal Wilderness areas.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by miguel
I have had a Cabelas 2 wheeled game cart for around 20 years and it was one of the best investments I have ever made. I have used it in the back country of the Adirondacks many times and it makes bringing out a buck almost easy. Forget about bushwhacking with it, it ain’t going to work. Usually I’m no further than a mile from the nearest hiking trail, this is the hard part, getting the deer to the trail. I’ll try and head to the trail using the down hill route if possible, even if it takes me further into the bush. Once the deer is to the trail, hike out double time to the cart. Once the deer is loaded and properly balanced, it’s a piece of cake. You can even jog going down hill!!

your terrain not even remotely similar to country out west

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Not even remotely similar huh. Do what you like, I’ve had good use out of mine.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Having spent time in both places, the Adirondacks may not be as high but plenty of nasty trails to traverse.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.